Prowler cuts power...

This is a discussion on Prowler cuts power... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Definitely stay inside. If you have not already done so...load the 00 buck... Wait in a safe dark corner... When the door is broken open... ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prowler cuts power...

Definitely stay inside.
    If you have not already done so...load the 00 buck...
    Wait in a safe dark corner...
    When the door is broken open...
    Defend yourself and your family...
    Call Waste Management...errrrr, 911...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Stay inside with a light, call 911 if possible, and wait. A dirt bag with a crowbar breaking in is armed with a deadly weapon in my book.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I would have taken defensive position inside house, called 911 and left an open line. If the BG gets the door open then he will meet his maker.

NC law for this situation:

14‑51.1. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.

(a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.

(b) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Depending on where specifically he was trying to gain access I would retreat to one of my access control points. I would have my wife call 9-1-1 and retrieve the shotgun for me while I maintained watch with my pistol. If access gained before the deputies arrive, light him up, order him down, ventilate if necessary.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

To me, cutting the power indicates he's really dumb...or he's been inside your home before, and plans on having a party with you and yours. I would assume worst-case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    that is a pretty weird story i must say. almost like something out of a hitchcock film.why would they cut the power? did the BG know someone was home or not?...strange
    Cutting the power is a Benchmark Standard in Memphis that BG's use. Why? Cordless phones do not work with the power off. Alarm systems do not work nor do the panic functions of such systems, plus it will take 20-30 minutes for the police to be notified after the alarm monitoring service finally figures out that there is truly a problem that needs police assistance. If the house is occupied when the power is cut, there is the shock effect to the occupants of the lights going out for no reason. I have seen the cable and phone lines cut also in this type of scenario as alarm monitoring can be done through those systems.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    If the BG knows enough to cut your power, he probably knows enough to cut your phone line, too. Better hope you have cell reception. Also, if he knows enough to cut your power, he's does this before. I would also suspect an accomplice out front.

911 will be called, but there is little chance they will arrive before he has made his entry.

When he comes in there will be know warning - my house, my castle. I do not have to warn or try to retreat. I'm standing my ground and the BG will be greeted with as many .45cal 230 gr. JHP's as it takes to stop him.

Depending on what state you are from, catching him outside with a crow bar trying to get in you door is probably justification for shooting in and of itself.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I am sorry you feel this way, but you have the right to feel however you want about someone breaking into your house. You can call police, sit and eat cookies with them or whatever you want, not me.
    Ahhhh so... not reading what I wrote...my comment was using logic that I rid the community of a BG as justification/vindication...no where near the same thing as someone breaking into your house.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Interesting scenario. In my younger days I have been known to go outside and confront the BG, now with a family to protect, I am staying inside and calling the police. If said BG comes into house before police arrive, then the ending will be violent for one of us.
    Yup.

My position, exactly.
    Corral the dog, two guns if possible, an illuminaton device, and have 911 dialing and on my cellulars speaker phone.

To hell with going outside.
    If there is more than one lying in wait and I get clobbered and disarmed, then what good am I to myself muchless my family inside depending on 'da-da' to survive and protect them. At that point it's just the dog as the cavalry and them with my gun(s) and/or their own would then be able to make short work of him....and next them.

Stay inside;
    Retreat therein to a secure position/panic room;
    Dial 911 and stay with them on speaker;
    Aim for center mass;
    Say nothing to nobody but my attorney.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

My main issue with what he did was:

It's hard to argue that you were in fear for your life while going after the BG...be it sneaking around your house or whatever.

You were sooo scared that you ran outside, into an unknown situation, to investigate?? Does not compute.

I'd call 911. Back myself into a 'secure' corner of my bedroom, lock the door, and wait with my gun aimed at the door, 911 on speaker phone, and a flashlight in my hand. I would be talking to the operator very loudly and yelling things like "if you come into this room I will treat it as a threat on my life and will act accordingly. The police are on their way!"

That way, its on tape and you have done everything you are required to by law (in VA) and if he/she continues into your bedroom you KNOW their intent is not good.

dom
    Obviously some differences in responses, but I'm surprised generally how consistent the answers are. As other have said, here in TX "criminal mischief at night" ON your property (not in your home) is specifcally listed as a justified use of deadly, so bad guy will likely have a bad night...

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned shouting a warning through the door before he gets it open - just to let him know I 'm aware what's going on, and help is on the way. Never know, might just make him change his mind.

And other than a couple of shot gun references, I'm surprised no one has mentioned using long guns. I'll take 30 rounds of 7.62 over 8 rounds of .45 any day...

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    And other than a couple of shot gun references, I'm surprised no one has mentioned using long guns.
    My HD long gun, stoked with 28 rounds of Hornady 75 gr HPBT 223.

Hey Joe, aren't you afraid that thing is going to take off some day and "assault" someone on its own?
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Interesting situation. With that given scenario I have to assume that if the BG goes to the trouble of cutting the power to my house that nothing good is going to happen once he makes entry!

Since I have a tactical light on my G-23 I would call 911 on my cell phone and very quietly take up a defensive position.

Once the BG enters my house after performing a "forced entry" I would illuminate him in order to positively ID him as a "hostile" just before pulling the trigger!

I don't think I would be giving a verbal challenge as he didn't giving me the courtesy of coming to my door and asking if it was ok to cut my power before he broke in.

It may be very tempting to go outside to investigate what was going on and possibly prevent the break-in all together, however you do lose a lot of tactical advantage by going outside.

If at all possible it's best to wait inside where you possess more control over the situation. Like others have said, call police and see who shows up first.

Cutting your power to your house shows a clear nefarious intent and waiting for the BG to actually perform a "forced entry" on your door or window provides more evidence of criminal intent and helps boslter your position of having to shoot an intruder after he is inside.

I think with the power being disabled, forced entry into your residence, and possessing a crow-bar, that Missouri's Castle Doctrine law would be hard to challenge by any prosecutor.

If on the otherhand, you go outside and confront the BG, lots of things can happen to change the dynamics, and not necessarily in your favor!

(The only thing that may change is if I choose to use my shotgun or AR-15 instead of my Glock... However, at this point I don't have any tactical lights attached to the shotgun or the AR-15 and being able to illumiate the BG for a positive ID and to see if he has a weapon is a major component I want to be able to perform. My light mounted Glock is much easier to manipulate than trying to hold a flashlight while weilding the shotgun or AR)

**Note to self: get a light mounted to the shotgun and AR in near future

JMHO, YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    Hey Joe, aren't you afraid that thing is going to take off some day and "assault" someone on its own?
    That's why I sling it, so that it doesn't take off.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links