Prowler cuts power... - Page 6

Prowler cuts power...

This is a discussion on Prowler cuts power... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by golfer Have to agree, shooting through a door is not a good idea. You have 20/20 hindsight now, but it could have ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Prowler cuts power...

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Have to agree, shooting through a door is not a good idea. You have 20/20 hindsight now, but it could have been a neighborhood electrical outage and you neighbor at the door to see if you were OK.
    It is always, repeat always, imperative you identify your target before firing.
    I once had my two sons leave the house late at night [sneaked out] and heard them trying to get back in. I met them at the door, light in 1 hand, 45 in the other, pistol pointing at the sky. They got the message very quickly, but it could have been a disaster if I had fired through the door.
    With a crowbar? Our Castle Law is pretty broad...Legally, I don't have to retreat, or let him get inside...I figure after A. cutting the power. B. using a crowbar to gain access, he has already declared his intentions. I think I would shoot through the back door(but my 130 lb dog, would probably negate the chance of that). Unfortunately, my front door does not have windows or a peak hole, so I wouldn't be able to do anything until they had already opened it. I am looking at getting my front door replaced as soon as possible...Everytime somebody knocks on my front door, it's a complete surprise as to who is there(I know, I know....)
    and I already alarmed the Schwans guy when I opened the door holding a pistol.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    With a crowbar? Our Castle Law is pretty broad...Legally, I don't have to retreat, or let him get inside...I figure after A. cutting the power. B. using a crowbar to gain access, he has already declared his intentions. I think I would shoot through the back door(but my 130 lb dog, would probably negate the chance of that). Unfortunately, my front door does not have windows or a peak hole, so I wouldn't be able to do anything until they had already opened it. I am looking at getting my front door replaced as soon as possible...Everytime somebody knocks on my front door, it's a complete surprise as to who is there(I know, I know....)
    and I already alarmed the Schwans guy when I opened the door holding a pistol.
    Castle Doctrine not withstanding, and regardless of laws that may say, you do not have to let him make entry before repelling the invasion, Do You Really Want To Be The test Case In Your State?

Shooting a target in which you can not see or identify is frought with all sorts of pitfalls you may or may not be able to think of at the time.

If the notorious Mr. Murphy is going to enter your life, that is just the scenario in which he may show his ugly misdeeds.

Btw... how do you know the BG is breaking in with a crowbar, until you SEE the crowbar?

Shoot through doors at bumps and noises in the night if you want to, but I'm waiting until the BG breaches my threshhold after I have identified the threat and any possible weapons he may have... including a crowbar or long screwdriver!

Be sure and post back here and let us know how it works out for ya! Maybe they'll allow internet privileges.

BTW, once I've ID'd the threat inside my house, and he were to duck behind a wall in my house and I shoot through a piece of drywall concealment, I'm on better ground than to have shot through a door at an unidentified, unknown threat. Big difference there!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n
    I didn't mean to imply a unidentified, unknown threat...I thougth the OP had said he knew the guy had cut power, he knew he had a crow bar and was trying to force entry...although, now that you mention it, a lot of that information probably wasn't learned until after the incident was over. It would probably be very hard to be absolutely sure what was going on until the intruder had broken into the house. Good points as always, Bark'n...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    Call police, take a defensive position with gun in strong hand, flashlight in the other and wait for either the LEOs or the BG to show.

Going looking for trouble is a bad idea, IMHO.
    +1!

Originally Posted by Pete Zaria
    Although now the BG is free to come back, potentially with friends, or at the very least, burglarize someone else's house.
    I think the fact that a BG is out on the street to strike again is irrelevant. The only purpose of deadly force is to stop a immanent deadly threat to YOU!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links