The vanishing BG!

This is a discussion on The vanishing BG! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Idle thought, no more. Say you have a home invasion - and let's say BG picked lock so no damage to show forced entry - ...

Thread: The vanishing BG!

Assistant Administrator

The vanishing BG!

Idle thought, no more.

Say you have a home invasion - and let's say BG picked lock so no damage to show forced entry - he comes in armed but you get the drop and shoot - quick response, only your shots fired - maybe just two or three. Subdued light so hard to get an ID facially.

BG reacts quick enough such that no shots of yours connect (OK so - your training was sloppy, not accurate enough!) and hightails it outa Dodge.

Locals hear the noise - call 911 and Cops respond to ''shots fired''. You have NO witnesses at all - just your word re a description of events.

How might this go down? Just musing again - totally hypothetical as ever, but wondering how a good guy would be able to talk his way outa this sorta situation, assuming also no apprehension of a suspect BG at all.

Strikes me it could depend a lot on your neighborhood and, the attitudes of local cops.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Question Chris

The wheels are really spinning up there tonight aren't they?!?
    My best guess is the police & their "Sixth Sense" about who is telling the truth & who is BSing would probably pull through for you.
    I think your willingness to cooperate & your detailed description of the events in harmony with your obvious remaining adrenaline rush would let them know that you didn't put holes in your walls and in your lampshade for no good reason.
    I could be totally wrong but, that is just my guess.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    That's what I would hope QK - but always the chance you get the non gun-friendly Sheriff!!

One thing most cops do know - is that there are some darned good liars out there!!

''But officer - I was only doing 110mph because I have to go to the john and had to rush home!"

''So what is wrong with the roadside''?

''But I ain't got no paper''!

I'm crashing - see ya!
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    I would think they would look at motive. What would be your motive for perforating your home and its contents and then lying about it? Now one shot, one hole they might get the suspicion of an ND and you are trying to cover. However, several holes and a detailed story, probably telling the truth. They would probably also want to see if you are drunk or high.

In the absence of any other evidence, yours is the only version they have so charges, if any, would come from what you say.

-Scott-

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Sorry for this ----BUT---- Is it actually illegal to shoot in your own home ??? I would agree with you that have said "i would hope that the LEO is smart enough to determine that you would not shoot up your home for no reason". When I lived in rural Maine I used to shoot alot in my basement. It was a full basement with (usually) 4 cords of cut and split firewood stacked in one side of it. I was told (after asking) by one of the local LEO's that it was legal. I never did verify this to be true or false but I just kept on shootin'.----------

Lead Moderator
    Most time when locks are picked, there are small scratches that are left and can be detected. It's just a matter of whether your local PD is good enough to find them, or was your lock picked by a pro!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Pittsburgh

In PGH it is not legal to shoot inside your home.
    Falls under "discharging a firearm within city limits" or something like that.

VIP Member
    In my current county of residence it is illegal to shoot in your own home. BTW air guns of all types are classified as firearms here. In my previous county it was ok to shoot in your home if you were outside city limits. So I had a range in my basement that I used a lot.

Of course in my current county if the deputies aren't summoned it isn't a problem. Given all the illegal fireworks every weekend night that are fired off around here I doubt anyone would notice a few shots.

-Scott-

Assistant Administrator
    Thx folks - I guess much of this question is brought about by in this day and age - the greater tendency for some folks to get up tight or alarmed at hearing gun fire. Fortunately not too bad where I am.

The nature of gun shot sounds does of course color possible reactions. For instance if I hear odd shots round where I live I wonder re their origin and probably am guessing cal too - but am not phased - equally if I let go a few rounds out back in my place - probably only 22's - I would not expect any problems.

Later in the day tho - after dark let's say then I daresay shots heard would make most folks wonder a but - I don't mean muffled as may come from a closed basement - but quite loud from living area.

Anyways - it was purely a ''muse'' that led me to wonder. Much would depend on a cop's attitude I think if investigating and of course mine too!!! I would certainly hope that an obviously rational, polite and logical explanation could put things to rest.
    Chris - P95

Here in Mi we have castle laws, the BG has a gun and now he is dead, no problem as to how he got in, that and his list of 50 priors, and the 3 warrents for his arrest yet to be served. Oh and one more thing, the neighbors that heard the gun shots would just think I was at the backyard range again. :)
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

DC Founder
    Yup, "discharging a firearm within city limits" will get ya put in jail in most municipalities....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

One thing I should point out is how little in practical terms shots indoors actually carry outside.

I shoot with some regularity into the trap in the gun shop's basement, testing customer's guns and whatnot or evaluating problems. There's also the ubiquitous gun shop basement hole for testing heavier-caliber rifles for function.

There is *no* soundproofing. On the main floor, .308 sounds like an air drill. Outside, you don't hear *anything*.

Given my local LEOs and my less than stellar impression of how I'll be handled in the wild, I'm not going to make any calls. Gee, I must have shot my phone too. ;)

Chances are that nobody will notice. One of my former neighbors in a mid-sized building had a ND through the front plate glass window while I was home with a 1911 while 'cleaning' it. I saw the landlord and the tenant patching the front window when I left a couple hours later and asked what had happened and when. No police calls, no neighbors, no nothing.

As far as the rest of the scenario, might I suggest interior deadbolts that you lock when you enter the premises? With no external lock to pick your would-be burglar is going to have a much more difficult time and probably pass on to greener targets.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Links