I was shot at last night

This is a discussion on I was shot at last night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WOW. What a night! I am taking part in a Citizen's Police Academy locally. It's usually about 3 hours every Tuesday of classroom style talking. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was shot at last night

I was shot at last night

WOW. What a night!

I am taking part in a Citizen's Police Academy locally. It's usually about 3 hours every Tuesday of classroom style talking. Not lecturing. They tell us about how OUR Sheriff's Office operates. Budget, all departments, why they do things they do, what they would like to be able to do, and how safe we are in our community.

Well, up until now, I have found it very interesting, even though I grew up here and know many members of the office. I have learned alot about the behind the scenes, and inside office doors parts of the department.

Last night was practical problems night. It is where we get to go to the range and shoot simunition Glocks, see how a DUI works, actually drive a golf cart "impaired" (uses Fatal Vision goggles), and handle a scenario in the shoot house! Well, I've never drank or used drugs, so I wasn't interested so much in the DUI part, but the sims/shoot house? Well you can figure that out. We each had to partner up since that is how they respond to a "domestic" type call. I got stuck with a 5'1 female that was married to one of the departments finest. She just kept saying "I'm just gonna stand behind you". Great! I thought.

Everything was calm until we suited up with BP vests, throat protection, helmets, and gloves. We had the option of a set of coveralls, but figuring they wouldn't fit correctly, I opted to where what I had on. Boots, jeans, 3 shirts. Did I mention it was about mid 40s?

We are told 2 roommates are arguing and fighting about money. Handle it.

So off we went..........................gotta go to work(I'll try to update from there)......... to be continued
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like real training.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Argh! Need the rest of the story - sounds like you're setting up for an interesting one.

That sounds like a great training experience.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

No fair! Isn't there some kind of forum by-law against starting a post that you can't finish??

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Tease.

tag for the rest of the story
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Dude....

that's just........wrong
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

4 demerits to OP for stopping in the middle of the story...
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

tagging along as well
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    tagging along as well
    Same thing I do chasing a horn bet. I'm in.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

ok, ok.... sorry work was busy.
    Quick info..... ME = 6' 205 alert and ready(so I think)
    'backup= 5' something 180 female, not wanting to really do this

SO Helmet w/ face shield, throat protection, BP vest, and gloves. The Staff Sgt hands us a Mag light, and a Sims Glock ready to go. Of course my "backup" has never used a gun so she has the quick rundown from the MSgt on grip, stance, how to use w/flashlight. Pay attention here, NO holster. SO we have to enter handgun at side.

We are told that something may happen, but then again, it may be calm..........

"Range is HOT" the Staff says. "It's your call, handle it". And off I went to the door.

I walk up to the door, it opens inside and left, so I shift to the right of it out of harms way, and knock w/ my mag light. My "backup" says" oh crap I forgot my light." I said "well, I've got mine, just be ready" (like that was going to do any good)

Roommate 1 (now known as RM1) asks who it is through the door. I yell out "Sheriff's Department". He yells to RM2 " hey the police are here and yo ass is goin to jail"

RM1 opens the door. 6'4 270 WM hands are clear, he starts rambling. I scan the crack behind the door, and start to cut the pie. I am listening, but watching mostly. I ask where RM2 is and he says in the 3rd room on the left. I told him to call him out. RM2 says no. I say ok and ask RM1 to step back and allow us in. I have no idea what my 'backup' is thinking or doing, I am focused on BIG RM1 and unknown RM2 somewhere in the house.

I enter the "living room" and continue my scan while RM1 continues talking and calling for RM2. I clear the room and ask again where RM2 is. Once again 3rd room on left. I cautiously start the hallway entrance trying to cut the pie on the right side room, when the Staff Sgt. says the right side of house is not in play for this. SO I cut back to the left side and start the 1st room, I slowly cut the doorway, which is open. I quickly scan and clear. Hallway is about 4.5 ft wide, and DARK. Completely dark.

I play 'press and look' with the mag light in left hand, keeping tight grip on my Sims Glock in my right. I start to cut 2nd room on left and RM2 steps out of a small hallway about 8 ft forward, before 3rd room. I immediately turn Mag on and focus on his face. At this time I have no idea if my 'backup' is watching, or even paying attention.

I can see I have him blinded, and ask "what's going on?" He starts to talk, and as I see his right hand is behind him, I ask him to keep his hands in front of him. He keeps talking and brings out his right hand with handgun by his side. I yell " put the gun down", he says no, and keeps it down, I feel the rush of blood, and tell him again, all the while blinding him completely. He sweeps his left hand up in front of his face, I stay steady eyes on his right, which doesn't flinch. He can now see me, and starts to draw up, I start to bring mine up, and 1 shot goes off, I can't tell if I am hit, so I open fire. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. He falls. I know I heard atleast 2 shots from him. I have no idea what my 'backup' is doing, then the Staff Sgt screams "Cease fire, Cease fire! come to the sound of my voice" SO we all head back to him for a quick debrief, and constructive criticism session.

I was hit once in the throat, I would've died for sure, but RM2 was hit 5 times in lower abdomen, he'd probably bleed out before EMS could respond. 5 shots, 5 hits. I call that a good shoot. My partner was told how she should've been in a different position to be able to watch RM1 and me in the hallway. The Master Sgt was the victim, and he said I did well, except the moment I saw a weapon, I should've sighted in on him with mine.

I am just glad that I now know that I will react for sure if a threat is made. You never know until you are placed into a position whether you will freeze or act. My 'backup' froze.

If any of you EVER get a chance to do Sims training, or even a one-time just see what you'll do scenario, DO IT! I'd say the whole event lasted 3 minutes, but w/ adrenaline it felt like forever. I loved it!!! I bet it took 15 minutes to actually come down from the rush.
    Last edited by Scott; December 24th, 2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: profanity
    Sean
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Sounds like great experience. One question: for the citizen's police academy if the citizen riding along on patrol has a CCW permit, are they allowed to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Sounds like great experience. One question: for the citizen's police academy if the citizen riding along on patrol has a CCW permit, are they allowed to carry?
    Per SC Law.... You may NOT carry at any time on any law enforcement property.

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits. .......
    (M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;

(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;

(3) courthouse or courtroom;

Technically, the patrol car is the officer's office while on duty.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Probably not. Everywhere I have ever been, you can't carry at the local PD. When I went on a ride along, the cop said I couldn't bring any weapons, not even a pocket knife. I asked why and I was told that incase something were to happen, the PD didn't want to be responsible if I chose to shoot someone. The cop told me though that if SHTF he would defiantly want me to be armed. it was just PD rules that prevented me from having a weapon.

Closest I've had to being in a shoot house was at the Chandler, Arizona citizens police academy.

They had a simulation game, on a huge screen that made everything life size. You had a Glock that shot infrared beams (kinda like the Area 51 arcade game). The pistols were connected to a CO2 tank to simulate the kick of the handgun.

It was basically training for shoot / don't shoot situations. The screen would move through different parts of an area until you reached the threat. I played two senarios on it.

1 - Perp opened fire in a warehouse and killed one person. He was hiding when the cops got there (this is when i walked in the door). While scanning the warehouse the perp poped out from behind some boxes and opened fire. I returned fire - my rounds aimed at the edge of the box a little under his head. Rounds went through the box striking him.

2 - Going into an office, there was a male employee beating a female employee with the butt stock of a pistol. They were behind a wall that had a large window on it. I immediately opened fire as I turned the corned and saw what was happening. Took one shot striking the perp in the head.

It was fun. The next weeks class was on their actual range with live ammo. They let everyone shoot two clips out of the Glocks.

The citizen police academy classes are really interesting and fun. I loved it. Anyone who hasn't taken the class, you should take it if your local PD offers it.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links