This was real - someone opened my hotel door at 1:30 a.m. - Page 2

This was real - someone opened my hotel door at 1:30 a.m.

This is a discussion on This was real - someone opened my hotel door at 1:30 a.m. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tangle P95Carry, You inspired a question. I have considered buying a Surefire E2D flashlight, the one with the scallops on both ends ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    P95Carry,
    You inspired a question. I have considered buying a Surefire E2D flashlight, the one with the scallops on both ends to enhance its use as an impact weapon? I wonder if airport security would let you carry it since it "looks" like a weapon?
    I carry my E2D with striking edges in my carry on bag all the time. Evidence that I have been on the road more that at home for the past couple of months. The edges are to help it stand up. Most of what I'm doing is training on federal installations, so firearms are not an option.

A simple rubber wedge will block the door in the hotel room. You can pick up ones that have an alarm built into them as well.

I had a similar experience at a hotel in May except it was another guest who was mistakenly given my room. Fortunately we figured it out before anything happened. I have been given rooms and when I went in found other people's stuff in them and left. So you never know.

-Scott-

I had a similar experience at a hotel in May except it was another guest who was mistakenly given my room. Fortunately we figured it out before anything happened. I have been given rooms and when I went in found other people's stuff in them and left. So you never know.
    That happened to me a few months ago.
    I checked into a Holiday Inn in Baton Rouge at about midnight, and when I opened the door to the room they gave me, the "security chain thingy" was latched. i did not immediately realize why the door wouldn't fully open so I tried again and leaned into it pretty hard!
    Only then did I realize that the room was occupied (and dark!)
    I quickly closed the door and hustled back to the lobby.

After it was over I just kept thinking...what if the guy in that room was armed? What would I have done...woken by someone noisily trying to force the door open?
    Spooky....
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

DC Founder
    I used to work with a woman that was brutally (literally) beaten and raped by someone that did exactly the same thing. I always make sure the door to an adjoining room, if there is one, is locked and the stand with my suitcase is placed in front of the door. I religiously throw the deadbolt and chain/block when I am in the room. All that done, I still wish I had my gun on the nightstand along with my flashlight.

I believe somone posted a long time ago that they had some trouble with an E2D. I sure wouldn't want to take the chance that some idiot in the TSA would take my flashlight home with them. I carry my knife and E2E in my checked baggage, which is worth checking it to have a knife. The cane sounds like a good idea.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I used to work with a woman that was brutally (literally) beaten and raped by someone that did exactly the same thing. I always make sure the door to an adjoining room, if there is one, is locked and the stand with my suitcase is placed in front of the door. I religiously throw the deadbolt and chain/block when I am in the room. All that done, I still wish I had my gun on the nightstand along with my flashlight.

I believe somone posted a long time ago that they had some trouble with an E2D. I sure wouldn't want to take the chance that some idiot in the TSA would take my flashlight home with them. I carry my knife and E2E in my checked baggage, which is worth checking it to have a knife. The cane sounds like a good idea.
    Try THIS it's what I have as my walking stick. http://www.coldsteel.com/91wacx.html
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I used to have to travel extensively for business. I carried a couple of the wedge shaped rubber door holders. The kind used to keep doors open, I used them to keep the doors closed. Simply force the wedge under an already locked door to keep it from being forced open. Works like a charm.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Several years ago - business trip to Texas - before I owned or carried. Not that it would have made a diff as I traveled by plane.

Late into the night awakened by someone opening the door - I had the extra lock thingie setup so they only opened an inch. Annoyed more than scared I shouted at whoever it was. I called the desk - Turned out the clerk gave out a card for my room thinking it was unoccupied. Not bad enough this happened one more time SAME NIGHT. Night manager got an earful from me on this. Apologies and free night to use whenever I wanted at any one of the hotels in their chain. Still didn't make up for how I felt about it.

If it happened now they would at least get blinded by the light: Scorpion mini-light that is...
    For God, Family and Country!

When traveling I usually go by car, when I stop for the night I always ask about the PL security and have they had any problems (Viper alarm system on the PU). You would be surprised just how many times I have gotten an positive answer too that question. If possible I will go someplace else but that is not always an option. So I sleep very light and usually wake up at every sound, and I have my M6X attached to the HK USP ready to go on the nightstand beside me.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

girlfriend and I took a 10 day trip out to the peoples republic of kali back in late june to see old friends. You better believe i kept my glock 17 loaded in the motel room on my nightstand, and the GF had my 686 6" S&W with 125gr gold dots on her night stand. Anyone opening our door would gotten a hell of a surprise :)

Senior Moderator
    I've been considering either taking a walking cane defense course or at least ordering a video. Gunsite no longer offers their cane defense course, but their self-defense videos are on sale right now, so I ordered the cane defense video.

Seems to me a walking stick or cane would be a formidable weapon and you can carry one just about anywhere. If you knew how to use it effectively, I suspect one could handle most situations where a gun was not involved.

Make no mistake, I carry my gun where and when I can; the cane is just for those times a gun won't be an option. I'm gonna watch the video when it arrives and probably gonna go cane shopping afterwards.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    http://www.canemasters.com

If they are still there. I have one of their training canes and one of their hard wood combat canes. Good stuff and good video's.

I wish they could \ would make a cane with a taser on end like some baton's I've seen.
    For God, Family and Country!

I myself am a cheapo who cant see the need to spend more than $80 a night...So
    Whenever I have to travel to a state where I cannot have a handgun. I pack My Surefire, a Spyerco Delica, and If I cant have a A.S.P. baton in that state, I go to the closest grocery store and get a broom where I can unscrew the bristle head.

VIP Member
    I work as Security Officer for a hotel that belongs to a major "hospitality" corporation. Let me add my 2 cents here.

First, an employee getting into a room using their master key is not that uncommon. 99% of the times is total and absolute absent-mindness from the guy. He might be going to the room next door to get it cleaned or to fix something and he just did not look at the room number as he should have. If you complain, an investigation will be made but in all probability the employee will not be fired but written up because he made an honest mistake. You should get comped anyway.

Those are the good news. Now for the bad ones. There are no more crimes happening at hotels for the simple reason criminals have not wised up. Hotels can be prime targets for a half capable criminal because your average hotel is not interested in keeping the premises secured. Security Officers are there just to show and take a report after feces happen and to try to avoid employees from stealing the Coke machines. The corporate mentality says that something as basic as a visible and patrolling officer is counterproductive for the hotel because guests might start to wonder why does the hotel need security and thus gives the impression that the hotel is unsafe.

To be safe in a hotel, first get information. Like most people, you will have no idea of the crime in the area. Ask questions. Do not bother with managers or anybody at the front desk, they have to sell an image and they will lie to your face. Go to the Security Officer and ask him or to one of the housekeepers and tell them to level with you. They will probably tell you the truth.
    Make sure your door is closed, not only when you are inside but also when you leave the room! I am tired to do my rounds and find doors that are not properly closed and the guest is gone leaving all property in plain view. Not only you will be fleeced but you are risking that the criminal might decide to hang around and wait for you in the confort of the room you are paying for to see if he can extract some extra cash. Or, if you are a woman, to get some sexual satisfaction out of you.

The electronic locks in hotel doors are practically inviolable unless you have a master key. They are massive things with tough casings that will force a bad guy to use power tools or complicated electronics to defeat. Problem is that they are massive and thus, the space needed to install them makes the door around the lock weak. you may actually have about 1/8 of an inch worth of wood and paneling on each side of the door and that means a good push will break it open. I know, I accidentally did this while helping some maintenance guy.

What to do? First, like I mentioned above, make sure your door is closed and use all available security that comes with it (Deadbolt, latches, etc.) Then you can use something very cheap that you can carry in your luggage and it will not raise the alarms at the airport or you can buy locally: a plain rubber door stop. If it sticks too much outside, you may want to cut the excess but make sure you wedge that baby good under the door. If a bad guy kicks the door in, he will have a tough time making a quick entry and will give you enough time to exact countermeasures. You can even use a big wet rolled towel as a wedge but it might not be as effective.

Get on the phone: Dial 911 from your cell and then call the Front Desk with the proper amount of urgency in your voice (Scream). Never rely on the person at the front desk to call 911. They will call Security first and untill they get a call back from them, they won't bother with 911.

All the other advice I have seen in this thread also sounds good but remmeber, no single one on its own is the magic bullet. Make a decission not to let your guard down and to protect yourself at all times.

I guess what I am saying is: Don't trust me to keep you safe.

Sorry for the long post.

VIP Member
    Miggy, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for all the information. I did not know that there was an on site security officer. I probably should have assumed that, but can't say it occurred to me. I figured the front desk wouldn't call 911 though. I would definitely call 911 myself anyway if someone was trying to forcibly breach my door.

Miggy, you would probably know this. If the "deadbolt" is thrown on the electronic lock does it disable card key entry? I believe it doesn't, but I'm curious anyway.

Here's a lightweight door stop with alarm. A plain solid rubber one will work as well, just no alarm. Anyone trying to get past the solid rubber door stop will make a lot of racket anyway.

-Scott-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott

Miggy, you would probably know this. If the "deadbolt" is thrown on the electronic lock does it disable card key entry? I believe it doesn't, but I'm curious anyway.

-Scott-
    The deadbolt will disable regular keys, floor and master keys. But the Hotel will have specially coded keys that will open a lock with deadbolt engaged. There is even an "L" shaped tool with what it looks like 100 Lbs test line that you insert under the door and pull the inside handle down to disengage the deadbolt. This is usually used when the lock battery dies and you cannot get in using the key..... but in the wrong hands it will open a door and leave no electronic trace. But they are noisy to use and take time so the tool would only be used when you are not in the room. Just in case I reccomend you drape a towell over the lock before you go to sleep.

One caveat about all the blocking-door reccomendations: If they can't get in, you can't get out. So be aware of what have you done and how to remove whatever you are using in a hurry in case of a fire.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    I work as Security Officer for a hotel that belongs to a major "hospitality" corporation. Let me add my 2 cents here.

First, an employee getting into a room using their master key is not that uncommon. 99% of the times is total and absolute absent-mindness from the guy. He might be going to the room next door to get it cleaned or to fix something and he just did not look at the room number as he should have. If you complain, an investigation will be made but in all probability the employee will not be fired but written up because he made an honest mistake. You should get comped anyway. ...
    So, Miggy, I got a question too. Why would an employee with a master key card open a door at 1:30 am? Do they clean, etc. at that time?

And a comment:
    For those who use or may be considering using a passive door block, like a rubber wedge, it doesn't seem like it would be very difficult to simply push the wedge out from under and away from the door from the outside.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links