This was real - someone opened my hotel door at 1:30 a.m.

This is a discussion on This was real - someone opened my hotel door at 1:30 a.m. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to go to D.C. for the week-end on business. What a mess! I only took a change of clothes in a carry-on piece ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This was real - someone opened my hotel door at 1:30 a.m.

Senior Moderator

I had to go to D.C. for the week-end on business. What a mess!

I only took a change of clothes in a carry-on piece so I wouldn't have to check and retrieve luggage at airports and unfortunately that meant I would have no way to transport my knife(s) or a handgun. Of course handguns are prohibited in D.C. anyway. Yep, I felt a little exposed!

I decided to take/carry two tact lights, a Streamlight TL-2 and TL-2 LED - no problems through security. My thinking was that if I had an "incident", I could at least use the two flashlights for distraction, blinding, and as impact weapons.

I also carried three ball point pens, to write with of course, but as sharp pointy weapons as well. I think the next time I fly, I'm going to carry a walking cane; I understand they are perfectly legal on planes.

Anyway, I got to my hotel room about midnight and was in that almost asleep state when the door opened. It's really amazing how many thoughts can flash through your mind in an extremely short period of time, like, gun and light - oops no gun, well then light. Get up! Don't get caught horizontal.

So I was up in a flash with my TL2 tact light (that's the brighter of the two lights I took) and directed the blinding beam down the short hallway where the door was located. The door closed with the BG? on the outside. I didn't feel that my attire would justify opening the door nor that opening the door was a good idea. So needless to say, I slept restlessly in short intervals, (subconsciously?) guarding the door the rest of the night even though the door's dead bolt and burglar latch was set.

What actually happened:
    I called the manager the next morning and he said he would look into the matter. When I got out of my morning activities and back to my room the manager had left a message on my phone. The door locks were card type electronic locks and every activation is logged on a computer. The 1:30 am visit was confirmed by the computer log and was an employee using a master key card.

One of my colleagues suggested that the employee would probably be fired over the incident and I replied, maybe so, but that's not as bad as being thrown out a room windlow on the sixteenth floor.

My conclusions:
    1- Don't travel
    2- If I must travel:
    A- Take a gun
    B- If I can't take a gun, then take a knife(s)
    C- If I can't take a knife then take a walking stick
    D- Always, always, take and carry a bright tactical light and a back-up
    light. Things break and run down you know.
    3- Be sure to use the dead bolt and the burglar latch
    4- For sleeping, make a simple alarm that the door will trip if opened. I
    happened to be awake an heard the door open, but if I had been
    asleep....
    A simple noise alarm can be made by balancing something against the door
    that will fall if the door opens. A suitcase, a chair, etc.

After some thought, I conclude that this was not innocent or a "mistake". For example, why would an employee use his master key card to enter my room at 1:30 am? Why was he even there? Why would he not knock first?

You never know when "it" can happen to you or what "it" may be, so be prepared!

Assistant Administrator
    Tangle - a salutary experience indeed - phew - makes the hairs stand on end a bit.

You are quite right re precautions, in particular if on your own, knowing no one else should be coming in. Something ''perched'' against door sounds very worthwhile as a ploy. Very much doubt the potential BG was other than nefarious in intent - certainly at that time of night.

Well - a good flashlight sure is good to have on hand - I have always had my E1e next to bed in hotel room, as well as usually my carry piece - sadly as you said you were a tad limited in that division!

Walking cane is I reckon about best choice when all else is so limited - at my age and with white whiskers I know I'd not have too much prob' looking infirm! .

Thx for the post - yet another ''incident'' to log and remember. Glad all turned out Ok of course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    P95Carry,
    You inspired a question. I have considered buying a Surefire E2D flashlight, the one with the scallops on both ends to enhance its use as an impact weapon? I wonder if airport security would let you carry it since it "looks" like a weapon?

Next time when you get to DC.. here are some tings I do in hostile territory.

If you already have reservations, fedex your knife before you leave to the hotel. Call ahead and tel lthem your expecting a package and to hold it for you. They will be glad to do it.

Other idea is to make a knife purchase your first priority after getting there. Before you leave, pacakage the knife and have the desk (or yourself) mail it home.

Now that you have a knife in the room you can cut the cord from the lamp and tie one end to the door handle the other to the frame. Makes a heack of an alarm for the door should anyone try to open it :)

Steven

Assistant Administrator
    Tangle - not at all sure re the E2D - I guess the acid test would be to try!!! I doubt I'd try more than my E1e, at least the bezel one end is vaguely ''useful''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    Tangle,

Scary experience, for sure. I'm glad it turned out all right for you.

As someone with many years experience in the hotel security business, I can tell you that there is absolutely NO legitimate reason for ANY hotel employee to enter an occupied guest room, unannounced, at 1:30 AM.

At this time of night, hotels have minimal staff on duty, such as a night auditor (usually doubles as the night manager), a bellman, a night houseman, maybe a maintenance man and security officer. It should take no effort at all to check the computerized card key database and determine who tried to enter your room.

I would avoid staying at this hotel in the future.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by standles
    Next time when you get to DC.. here are some tings I do in hostile territory.

If you already have reservations, fedex your knife before you leave to the hotel. Call ahead and tel lthem your expecting a package and to hold it for you. They will be glad to do it.

Other idea is to make a knife purchase your first priority after getting there. Before you leave, pacakage the knife and have the desk (or yourself) mail it home.

Now that you have a knife in the room you can cut the cord from the lamp and tie one end to the door handle the other to the frame. Makes a heack of an alarm for the door should anyone try to open it :)

Steven
    Good suggestions, however in this particular case, I found out late Thursday afternoon I would be leaving the next day so there were a few things I had to "tidy" up and I didn't have time to Fed Ex a knife.

I did, in fact, consider buying a knife when I got there, but due to late notice, delaying weather, lack of transportation, there was neither time nor opportunity to find and buy a knife.

Cut a lamp cord? LOL, that would indeed be a deterent, but it might show up on my hotel bill.

This has illustrated to me that there are places, circumstances, situations, etc. where we won't be able to carry our choice of defense. Hence, I'm going to look into the walking cane and in fact, I think Gunsite offers a walking cane defense course. If they do I think I'll see if I can take it.

At least you were somewhat prepared or prepared as best you could be and all turned out well

We'll, this sure was the wrong post to pull up since I flew into Chicago (not quite DC, but Mayor Daley is doing his best to disarm the good guys) this morning for the week. In the past, I've kept the big steak knife from room service in my room from the first meal before when I couldn't travel with at least a knife, and will be doing the same thing tonight. The chair against the door thing is a nice touch.

Tangle: Question--nearly every hotel room door also has the chain or similar device on the door -- did your's fail or was it lacking?
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I got my first Surefire years ago, the original 6P model and it was later stolen. Then I got one of the current NITROLON models (6P in plastic) and it's GREAT for illumination but not much of a defensive weapon. I'm currently saving up for the E2D which I should have in a week or so. It's worth it. I took up the study of Aikido some years ago on the theory that somebody is always trying to disarm you, and you'd better be ready to deal with a situation unarmed. Aikido is also a SWORD art and taught the use of other weapons as well. My Sensei taught us to kill using a simple rolled up newspaper. I often carry a rolled up newspaper out to my car in the teacher's parking lot. Depends on the school year and the punk activity that year, but I am NEVER afraid or even slightly worried. The E2D is just another layer of defense.

There are plenty of field expedient means to create an impromptu alarm and there are even a few electronic means cheaply available for securing a hotel room door AND providing an ear splitting alarm. I wouldn't go along with any idea to vandalize a hotel room to maintain security when other means can be found. Whether you use an E2D or a knife it is STILL close COMBAT and a knife does not have the traumatic shock value of either a gun or a blunt force instrument. Standles, you could hand an attacker his liver with your blade and until he lost "hydraulic pressure" to the heart he would still be capable of killing you.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ok folks the lamp cord idea was a joke (note the obligatory smiley)

Now I agree that I

"could hand an attacker his liver with your blade and until he lost "hydraulic pressure" to the heart he would still be capable of killing you"

But nothing said I was going to stop at handing the attacker only it's liver. Besides His hysdraulic pressure is going to bleed off faster than if I slap him in the head or do a 3 stooges poke to the eyes. also if forced to there are better choices than slicing with a knife.

My defense choice would be

1) firearm
    2) edged weapon
    3) blunt force
    4) hand to hand

We all seem to train in firearms but ignore or only casually look at other options. I was mainly focusingo nthe knife since he specifically said he couldn't carry it.

I have taken professional training with firearms and edged weapons. and practice with both since I realized there will be situations that I cannot have a firearm to protect me.

Later, Steven

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr
    ...Tangle: Question--nearly every hotel room door also has the chain or similar device on the door -- did your's fail or was it lacking?
    I had a lever that would some how "further" lock the door; I guess that's the "dead bolt" and it had the chain-like device except it wasn't a chain but the rigid brass type that goes over a knob on the door and allows the door to be opened a bit.

I was tired when I went to bed but I did put the "crack the door" latch on and didn't see/notice the "dead bolt" lever.

I haven't tried, but I believe I could silently defeat one of those brass latches that allow you to open the door a bit.

As for the purported "dead bolt", it is just a lever that presumably makes the lock more secure. However, the door was opened by an employee or at least by an employee's master key card. I can't help but believe if the hotel management needed to open a door in an emergency or what ever the case was, that master key would probably override the "dead bolt".

It didn't much matter after that, I didn't trust anything that secured the door.

Bottom line--you were prepared as best you could and took action. The other interior locks just buy a little time--they can't really keep a determined BG at bay too long.

I'm glad it worked out--it will be interesting if you share the results of the hotel's investigation and course of action if you are privy.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Senior Moderator
    All I know about hotel actions is that they knew who it was and were trying to contact him or her. I got a night's lodging deducted from my bill. That really didn't do anything for me though since my school was paying for the room.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Silly! Everyone knows that the doorknob is connected to the metal striker, which touches the metal plate in the metal doorjamb. You need electrical tape!!!

Newbs...

I wonder if there would be a market for a small electric fence module, hmmmmm maybe I oughta get a patent on that.

On a more serious note, I once knew a guy who hooked one to his old farm truck to keep thieves from stealing his gas. LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links