Defensive Carry banner

Creepy Bum in the woods

4K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  stormbringerr 
#1 ·
Im a little late posting this as it happened to me on Thanksgiving. After dinner with the family, i had my g/f, her kid, her sisters kid and my dog in my jeep. Theres this little offroading spot near my house that we decided to hit really quick on the way home just so the kids can get a giggle out of it. The whole place is real tame, basically sand with a few bumps here and there, basically you can make it through everything in there with a stock Rav-4 if you catch my drift.

So on the way out i decided to go over this little hill that ive been over 50 million times before. Right at the top there is this log that you crawl over and then coast down the other side. As i went over the log i heard a cracking sound and my jeep dropped to the frame.:hand1: I was high centered on this little freaking log and pissed until i noticed what had happened. Someone had dug a huge hole in the sand, covered the top with leaves and sticks, and then sand, basically a pungi trap without the sticks and feces.

As im trying to dig out, i notice a flashlight coming up towards me. It turned out to be another guy, stuck in a trap as well, he had broke both axles trying to get out of that one. We get to work on my jeep so that i could pull him out to the road where he would call for a tow.

It got dark, and thats when stuff got weird. I made a joke about "This is how horror movies start." As im digging i catch movement in the woods, about 20 yards away. I beam my surfire in that general direction and see nothing at first. I get back to digging and i see it again and this time i caught it in the light, it was a person, Long hair, long beard, dirty, muddy face with a disgusting looking white shirt on.
He's about 15 yards now, peeking out from around a tree.

Now my brain starts going, i fell into a trap that was never here, and theres some crazy looking guy in the woods stalking us. Me and John, the guy that was stuck as well, took turns keeping guard as we tried to get the jeep to grab traction on something. I called the cavalry in, my buddy Red with his pickup to come get me the hell out of there. Right as i hung up the guy started approaching with what looked like a large stick in his hands, it was REAL DARK and the only place i could see now is where my almost dead surefire was pointing.
I drew my little PM9 and flashed the light on it so this freak could see i was armed, he stopped dead in his tracks, looked like he was talking to himself, then retreated back into the woods. That was the first time i thought i was going to have to shoot someone, i have drawn my weapon before but this time it was different, I honestly believe that if i was not armed bad things would have happened out in those woods.

Red shows up with 5 other guys(Cavalry), i get unstuck, try to pull the other kid with no avail, and end up giving him a ride home. Freaky.

See less See more
#32 ·
On a side note i know that most of these situations could be attributed to being in condition white. I used to be very task fixated, trying to get done and go home and while i tried to stay somewhat aware obviously it didn't work. Im sure that if i saw these guys coming and they noticed i noticed none of this would have happened.

I really don't bring it up all that often because i don't want to sound like some super commando ccw'r with lighting fast draw speeds who can leap crackheads with a single bound. Each time sucked in its own way and if i never get into a fight behind a supermarket again ill be a happy man. I just don't see the reason to take a life when presented with other options and not exhausting them. Now if i saw a gun it would have been very different and i have gone over those scenarios in my head multiple times. Ok i need to stop typing now before this becomes a novel with chapters. I promise. no more :tongue:

#33 ·
Sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp on when there is a threat and when there is not. From what your saying, I think you done did good.

I have ran into my share of freaks here in the NW woods. Funny how people become opertunist, especially if you are in a deserted area. We also have our fair share of transients here, and they can often be not-so-fun people to deal with.

#34 ·
Am I the only one who remembers that setting booby traps is illegal, even on private property? If you had been hurt, the owner of the land would be liable UNLESS you broke through fencing or other impediments to be on the land.

I wonder if that occured to the police.

#36 ·
Man, I'm glad you got another job. You have had more encounters in a few short years than most of us have in a lifetime.
Thanks for sharing that first incident with us. Only you can decide if you took the right action, and, since you have no ventilation holes you did good.
That leaves the only other question which would relate to "what if something else happened".
We could play that game all night long.
Thanks again for sharing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.