Creepy Bum in the woods - Page 2

Creepy Bum in the woods

This is a discussion on Creepy Bum in the woods within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Maybe it is not too late to make a formal police report. Something is radically wrong here. If it is the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creepy Bum in the woods

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Maybe it is not too late to make a formal police report. Something is radically wrong here. If it is the owner who dug the traps, he is in the wrong. He should be hanging no trespass signs and not setting traps that disable vehicles.

If it was the wood creep who dug the trap, the owner needs to know, and so do the cops.

The cop who bad mouthed you needs a talking to, also.

The whole picture stinks. Make a formal report-- and omit the part about showing your weapon.

If I were to make a report, I would include ALL pertinent info, or not make a report at all.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Yeah it was just a bad situation, i almost get arrested for trespassing when there is not 1 sign up anywhere. Honestly after all that digging and having 15 million mosquito bites, being covered in sand, and a adrenalin dump, i just wanted to go home and take a shower. I barely slept that night afterwards, my brain just keep going over different scenarios and how things could have gotten alot worse. What if there was more of them? I wasn't armed? All i had was a small trench shovel, some guy i never met before, and a flashlight. What if that freak was armed with a 22 rifle. what if my buddy couldn't make it and i was stuck there until morning. Im just glad im out of that god forsaken hell hole and if i ever go back im bringing a mounted machine gun.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Administrator
    Sounds to me like some transient camping out close by. Likely the guy is bonkers. Resents the vehicle noise maybe and so is setting booby traps. They are not usually aggressive but, this one obviously is since he approached with a bludgeoning weapon in hand.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Hey yall this is my first post but i have been here awhile, just like the news and great information. Still waiting to get CW permit yet because I go to school out of state etc.

But, that man does sound scary. First of all the police officer needs a nicer tone, second the owner needs no trespassing signs at the proper intervals around the perimeter.

Third, meth labs are all too common. They put them in the weirdest of places. Also, out in the woods some grow other drugs too (marijuana being common). They use booby traps to discourage people taking interest in their craft. In the last couple of years hunters regulations books have included warnings about this. I love AZ and open carry! In that situation I would have been still scared with my .357 on my hip! Its dark and you don't know the enemy or his numbers at all.

In AZ it is particularly bad with smuggling of drugs and illegal immigrants. I have run into lots of things that I was glad I was carrying. Most of the time its when hunting, camping or hiking even with the family. Its why we all should carry.

VIP Member
    Some people booby trap or put out roofing nails with
    the square piece to hold them upright.
    More common years ago. Signs and gates are more modern;
    but, trespassing is trespassing .

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Dude (and his buddies, whom you didn't see, but were no doubt there) has a meth lab or pot patch going on.

Tell the law.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I'd just stay out if it's private property. Glad things turned out ok this time. We have a few folks up here in the boonies like that. Usually trying to keep people out of good hunting areas, but, I have no doubt that drugs are also part of it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Let me invie you to look up JAM with the search function.
    First it is good you are safe.
    Now that you have decompressed, is this really a reason for you to draw you weapon. You were two people against 1. You may have felt frightened, but was there any jeopardy involved? Was the man making gestures or yelling at you?
    Why did you want him to see your concealed weapon? Maybe he was stuck too and was looking for help?
    It is so important we make the correct descision when we draw, do you think you made the right one?
    I am not trying to come down on you, but we can all profit by your thoughts and letting you know if you made the right descisions.
    Could you have accomplished the same thing if you drew you weapon but kept it hidden and asked if you could help?
    Best wishes to you, make good descisions, as other peoples lives are in your hands.

Exclamation The Baja Race

I know this is kind of off the track but the locals dig pit traps to wreck the racers and steal what ever they can.

Glad you got out safe, and it kinds of looks like a loner gets stuck, walks out for help, comes back to a stripped vehicle, and then you come along and mess up his plans by being a good Samaritan, darn now the POS has to go someplace else to steal enough to buy his drugs. Good Job and notify the police.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Now that you have decompressed, is this really a reason for you to draw you weapon. You were two people against 1. You may have felt frightened, but was there any jeopardy involved? Was the man making gestures or yelling at you?
    Why did you want him to see your concealed weapon? Maybe he was stuck too and was looking for help?
    It is so important we make the correct descision when we draw, do you think you made the right one?
    I am not trying to come down on you, but we can all profit by your thoughts and letting you know if you made the right descisions.
    Could you have accomplished the same thing if you drew you weapon but kept it hidden and asked if you could help?
    Best wishes to you, make good descisions, as other peoples lives are in your hands.
    I think if the guy was looking for help too, when he saw the gun he would offer some kind of explanation as to why he was coming towards them.. Say something like "Hey Hey, I just need some help". The guy offered no explanation. Sounds to me like he was more on "the bad side".

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Glad everything turned out ok

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    I think i handled the siltation to the best of my ability, i wanted him to see my concealed weapon so i wouldn't have to shoot him, i used it as a "cooler" and its been the 4th time that i have used my concealed as such. All other times have been against crackeads with knives trying to rob me while i was on my route and it has worked effectively every time, i get my point across and no one gets ventilated. The guy i was with was a stranger to me, i had no clue if he would stand his ground or run, so basically i was alone in my mind. The Bum was making a threating gesture, if you approach someone with a bludgeoning weapon in the middle of the night without announcing your intentions after you have been stalking around and watching, your a threat., plain and simple. I don't care if that freak wanted to start a camp fire and sing kum-by-ya. I wanted him to keep his distance since my ability to escape was taken from me. But he gets to live another day and so do I.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Were there any words exchanged? Did you talk to him or him to you or was this all done in silence, other then the people you were with or the other stuck guy?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

There were some words, when i first saw him i called out to see what the hell he wanted but he ducked back into the woods. When he started approaching i again asked what he wanted then after i saw the weapon/stick i warned him i was armed as i showed it to him.
    كافر(Infidel)

You've had 3 people attempt to rob you with knives? How far away are they when they pull the knives, so that you have time to show your weapon? Do you have to file a police report after showing your weapon in Florida?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links