Creepy Bum in the woods - Page 3

Creepy Bum in the woods

This is a discussion on Creepy Bum in the woods within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its weird because it was always almost the same setup. You know those flat nosed isuzu trucks? Well i drove one of those for a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Its weird because it was always almost the same setup. You know those flat nosed isuzu trucks? Well i drove one of those for a bread company, which put me in really crappy neighborhoods at even worse hours. I would be in the box of the truck getting a load ready and someone would approach the back of the truck with a knife and demand money. The first time they started talking smack and acting like a tough guy before he was even near the back of the truck. So i had time to analyze if i wanted to kick the guy in the face since i was in a elevated position or draw. He made up my mind when he drew a kinfe and attempted to climb into the truck when i told him to F off. This happened at 4am behind a publix in St. Petersburg.

Second time , almost same setup, 4AMish behind another grocery store i was moving 2 stacks of bread on dollies when i was approached by another crackhead. This guy tried to fight me first when i didn't instantly drop to my knees and hand over my hard earned money but instead got a stack of bread rammed into him, knocking him down( along with about 100 bucks of bread, i was pissed, but thats another story) He hit the ground dazed and reached for a kitchen knife that was in his pocket and i showed him the blasty end of my glock 19 and with enough expletives he got the idea and ran off, dropping the knife in the process. Same town, St. Petersburg.

3rd time, in Tarpon springs, i was ready because a few other drivers had gotten robbed in the same neighborhood so i knew it was only a matter of time. I wasn't caught off guard when the POS tried to make some easy money again. Fox Spray is super effective but you will need to tustle with someone afterwards and i got some sprayed a little( wind sucks) That broke out into a straight fight that then turned into a knife that hit the ground because he couldn't see well and i shoved my pistol into his face and he took off running. I was justified in shooting that guy more then anyone but just producing a firearm usually takes the fight out of most would be POS, they want an easy taget and don't want to fight or die for money. Ive noticed that just being aggressive will give you an edge, they are looking for that fear and compliance. When they don't get it suddenly you get a second or 2 of disbelief that your not just giving up and you get the edge. Now if 1 of those guys just wanted to stab me, i would be sitting here with stitches or worse. A hardened criminal that has no remorse in killing you is a different animal. Just your average everyday crackhead isn't a hardened criminal or too strung out to do much anyways.

I left that job, 3 strikes was enough for me. Money was GREAT but your too much of a target being out at that time.
    And i never filled out a police report, time was money and that takes way too long and i feared legal BS even though FL has great self defense laws. On a side note i know the 3rd guy went to jail, almost being killed wasn't enough for him and another driver that i knew ended up breaking the guys jaw and calling the cops. He had another knife on him, but by now the word was out about what was going on and EVERYBODY was ready for the scumbag.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

On a side note i know that most of these situations could be attributed to being in condition white. I used to be very task fixated, trying to get done and go home and while i tried to stay somewhat aware obviously it didn't work. Im sure that if i saw these guys coming and they noticed i noticed none of this would have happened.

I really don't bring it up all that often because i don't want to sound like some super commando ccw'r with lighting fast draw speeds who can leap crackheads with a single bound. Each time sucked in its own way and if i never get into a fight behind a supermarket again ill be a happy man. I just don't see the reason to take a life when presented with other options and not exhausting them. Now if i saw a gun it would have been very different and i have gone over those scenarios in my head multiple times. Ok i need to stop typing now before this becomes a novel with chapters. I promise. no more
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp on when there is a threat and when there is not. From what your saying, I think you done did good.

I have ran into my share of freaks here in the NW woods. Funny how people become opertunist, especially if you are in a deserted area. We also have our fair share of transients here, and they can often be not-so-fun people to deal with.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Am I the only one who remembers that setting booby traps is illegal, even on private property? If you had been hurt, the owner of the land would be liable UNLESS you broke through fencing or other impediments to be on the land.

I wonder if that occured to the police.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

"wrong turn" part 3?
    What's this button do?

Man, I'm glad you got another job. You have had more encounters in a few short years than most of us have in a lifetime.
    Thanks for sharing that first incident with us. Only you can decide if you took the right action, and, since you have no ventilation holes you did good.
    That leaves the only other question[s] which would relate to "what if something else happened".
    We could play that game all night long.
    Thanks again for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Some folks that set up drug labs also make booby traps to protect the area. I have come across situations similar to this before when hiking.

Michael
    i agree,this area needs to be checked out,i would inform narcotics dept. in your city.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links