Defensive Carry banner

Creepy Bum in the woods

4K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  stormbringerr 
#1 ·
Im a little late posting this as it happened to me on Thanksgiving. After dinner with the family, i had my g/f, her kid, her sisters kid and my dog in my jeep. Theres this little offroading spot near my house that we decided to hit really quick on the way home just so the kids can get a giggle out of it. The whole place is real tame, basically sand with a few bumps here and there, basically you can make it through everything in there with a stock Rav-4 if you catch my drift.

So on the way out i decided to go over this little hill that ive been over 50 million times before. Right at the top there is this log that you crawl over and then coast down the other side. As i went over the log i heard a cracking sound and my jeep dropped to the frame.:hand1: I was high centered on this little freaking log and pissed until i noticed what had happened. Someone had dug a huge hole in the sand, covered the top with leaves and sticks, and then sand, basically a pungi trap without the sticks and feces.

As im trying to dig out, i notice a flashlight coming up towards me. It turned out to be another guy, stuck in a trap as well, he had broke both axles trying to get out of that one. We get to work on my jeep so that i could pull him out to the road where he would call for a tow.

It got dark, and thats when stuff got weird. I made a joke about "This is how horror movies start." As im digging i catch movement in the woods, about 20 yards away. I beam my surfire in that general direction and see nothing at first. I get back to digging and i see it again and this time i caught it in the light, it was a person, Long hair, long beard, dirty, muddy face with a disgusting looking white shirt on.
He's about 15 yards now, peeking out from around a tree.

Now my brain starts going, i fell into a trap that was never here, and theres some crazy looking guy in the woods stalking us. Me and John, the guy that was stuck as well, took turns keeping guard as we tried to get the jeep to grab traction on something. I called the cavalry in, my buddy Red with his pickup to come get me the hell out of there. Right as i hung up the guy started approaching with what looked like a large stick in his hands, it was REAL DARK and the only place i could see now is where my almost dead surefire was pointing.
I drew my little PM9 and flashed the light on it so this freak could see i was armed, he stopped dead in his tracks, looked like he was talking to himself, then retreated back into the woods. That was the first time i thought i was going to have to shoot someone, i have drawn my weapon before but this time it was different, I honestly believe that if i was not armed bad things would have happened out in those woods.

Red shows up with 5 other guys(Cavalry), i get unstuck, try to pull the other kid with no avail, and end up giving him a ride home. Freaky.

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you make a police report. If this guy is laying traps and waiting, it sounds like others may be a risk as well.

#4 ·
I didn't make a report but i did see some cops on the way out, i told him what just happened and he said i was trespassing and to get the hell out of there. They were just about to patrol the area when i was leaving. The land had been purchased and the new owner doesn't want anyone back in there anymore. I warned them and made my hasty retreat.

#6 ·
Maybe the new owner was the one that made the traps to keep people from wheeling on their property.

Did you have any conversation with the creepy guy? Ask if you could help him or what was up when you noticed him. Did he say anything?
Maybe he was bringing you a stick to try to help leverage you out or to put it under your wheel for traction.

Communication is a good thing. 15 to 20 yds is not very far, even normal conversation should be able to be heard at that distance, especially if your out in the boonies. Try talking next time, maybe it will put everyone a little less on edge.

Glad it turned out ok for everyone.

#10 ·
Your right about that one Pete, that and a winch, and a chainsaw, and maybe some flood lights in every freaking direction.

#9 ·
The OPs Scenario really reminded me so much of the De-animator game.
That is only reason I posted a link to it here.
The tattered zombie like bum coming at this guy in the dark with a stick in his hands and him with a drawn firearm is so eerily similar to the game that it's uncanny.
I didn't mean for it to throw his thread off topic.
I apologize for doing that.
No more comments about the De-Animator game. Just play it when you get the chance and have fun.

#14 ·
Maybe it is not too late to make a formal police report. Something is radically wrong here. If it is the owner who dug the traps, he is in the wrong. He should be hanging no trespass signs and not setting traps that disable vehicles.

If it was the wood creep who dug the trap, the owner needs to know, and so do the cops.

The cop who bad mouthed you needs a talking to, also.

The whole picture stinks. Make a formal report-- and omit the part about showing your weapon.

#37 ·
i agree,this area needs to be checked out,i would inform narcotics dept. in your city.

#17 ·
Yeah it was just a bad situation, i almost get arrested for trespassing when there is not 1 sign up anywhere. Honestly after all that digging and having 15 million mosquito bites, being covered in sand, and a adrenalin dump, i just wanted to go home and take a shower. I barely slept that night afterwards, my brain just keep going over different scenarios and how things could have gotten alot worse. What if there was more of them? I wasn't armed? All i had was a small trench shovel, some guy i never met before, and a flashlight. What if that freak was armed with a 22 rifle. what if my buddy couldn't make it and i was stuck there until morning. Im just glad im out of that god forsaken hell hole and if i ever go back im bringing a mounted machine gun.

#18 ·
Sounds to me like some transient camping out close by. Likely the guy is bonkers. Resents the vehicle noise maybe and so is setting booby traps. They are not usually aggressive but, this one obviously is since he approached with a bludgeoning weapon in hand.

#19 ·
Hey yall this is my first post but i have been here awhile, just like the news and great information. Still waiting to get CW permit yet because I go to school out of state etc.

But, that man does sound scary. First of all the police officer needs a nicer tone, second the owner needs no trespassing signs at the proper intervals around the perimeter.

Third, meth labs are all too common. They put them in the weirdest of places. Also, out in the woods some grow other drugs too (marijuana being common). They use booby traps to discourage people taking interest in their craft. In the last couple of years hunters regulations books have included warnings about this. I love AZ and open carry! In that situation I would have been still scared with my .357 on my hip! Its dark and you don't know the enemy or his numbers at all.

In AZ it is particularly bad with smuggling of drugs and illegal immigrants. I have run into lots of things that I was glad I was carrying. Most of the time its when hunting, camping or hiking even with the family. Its why we all should carry.

#21 ·
Dude (and his buddies, whom you didn't see, but were no doubt there) has a meth lab or pot patch going on.

Tell the law.

#22 ·
I'd just stay out if it's private property. Glad things turned out ok this time. We have a few folks up here in the boonies like that. Usually trying to keep people out of good hunting areas, but, I have no doubt that drugs are also part of it.

#23 ·
Let me invie you to look up JAM with the search function.
First it is good you are safe.
Now that you have decompressed, is this really a reason for you to draw you weapon. You were two people against 1. You may have felt frightened, but was there any jeopardy involved? Was the man making gestures or yelling at you?
Why did you want him to see your concealed weapon? Maybe he was stuck too and was looking for help?
It is so important we make the correct descision when we draw, do you think you made the right one?
I am not trying to come down on you, but we can all profit by your thoughts and letting you know if you made the right descisions.
Could you have accomplished the same thing if you drew you weapon but kept it hidden and asked if you could help?
Best wishes to you, make good descisions, as other peoples lives are in your hands.

#25 ·
I think if the guy was looking for help too, when he saw the gun he would offer some kind of explanation as to why he was coming towards them.. Say something like "Hey Hey, I just need some help". The guy offered no explanation. Sounds to me like he was more on "the bad side".

#24 ·
The Baja Race

I know this is kind of off the track but the locals dig pit traps to wreck the racers and steal what ever they can.

Glad you got out safe, and it kinds of looks like a loner gets stuck, walks out for help, comes back to a stripped vehicle, and then you come along and mess up his plans by being a good Samaritan, darn now the POS has to go someplace else to steal enough to buy his drugs. Good Job and notify the police.

#28 ·
Were there any words exchanged? Did you talk to him or him to you or was this all done in silence, other then the people you were with or the other stuck guy?

#29 ·
There were some words, when i first saw him i called out to see what the hell he wanted but he ducked back into the woods. When he started approaching i again asked what he wanted then after i saw the weapon/stick i warned him i was armed as i showed it to him.

#31 ·
Its weird because it was always almost the same setup. You know those flat nosed isuzu trucks? Well i drove one of those for a bread company, which put me in really crappy neighborhoods at even worse hours. I would be in the box of the truck getting a load ready and someone would approach the back of the truck with a knife and demand money. The first time they started talking smack and acting like a tough guy before he was even near the back of the truck. So i had time to analyze if i wanted to kick the guy in the face since i was in a elevated position or draw. He made up my mind when he drew a kinfe and attempted to climb into the truck when i told him to F off. This happened at 4am behind a publix in St. Petersburg.

Second time , almost same setup, 4AMish behind another grocery store i was moving 2 stacks of bread on dollies when i was approached by another crackhead. This guy tried to fight me first when i didn't instantly drop to my knees and hand over my hard earned money but instead got a stack of bread rammed into him, knocking him down( along with about 100 bucks of bread, i was pissed, but thats another story) He hit the ground dazed and reached for a kitchen knife that was in his pocket and i showed him the blasty end of my glock 19 and with enough expletives he got the idea and ran off, dropping the knife in the process. Same town, St. Petersburg.

3rd time, in Tarpon springs, i was ready because a few other drivers had gotten robbed in the same neighborhood so i knew it was only a matter of time. I wasn't caught off guard when the POS tried to make some easy money again. Fox Spray is super effective but you will need to tustle with someone afterwards and i got some sprayed a little( wind sucks) That broke out into a straight fight that then turned into a knife that hit the ground because he couldn't see well and i shoved my pistol into his face and he took off running. I was justified in shooting that guy more then anyone but just producing a firearm usually takes the fight out of most would be POS, they want an easy taget and don't want to fight or die for money. Ive noticed that just being aggressive will give you an edge, they are looking for that fear and compliance. When they don't get it suddenly you get a second or 2 of disbelief that your not just giving up and you get the edge. Now if 1 of those guys just wanted to stab me, i would be sitting here with stitches or worse. A hardened criminal that has no remorse in killing you is a different animal. Just your average everyday crackhead isn't a hardened criminal or too strung out to do much anyways.

I left that job, 3 strikes was enough for me. Money was GREAT but your too much of a target being out at that time.
And i never filled out a police report, time was money and that takes way too long and i feared legal BS even though FL has great self defense laws. On a side note i know the 3rd guy went to jail, almost being killed wasn't enough for him and another driver that i knew ended up breaking the guys jaw and calling the cops. He had another knife on him, but by now the word was out about what was going on and EVERYBODY was ready for the scumbag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.