Creepy Bum in the woods

Creepy Bum in the woods

This is a discussion on Creepy Bum in the woods within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im a little late posting this as it happened to me on Thanksgiving. After dinner with the family, i had my g/f, her kid, her ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Creepy Bum in the woods

Im a little late posting this as it happened to me on Thanksgiving. After dinner with the family, i had my g/f, her kid, her sisters kid and my dog in my jeep. Theres this little offroading spot near my house that we decided to hit really quick on the way home just so the kids can get a giggle out of it. The whole place is real tame, basically sand with a few bumps here and there, basically you can make it through everything in there with a stock Rav-4 if you catch my drift.

So on the way out i decided to go over this little hill that ive been over 50 million times before. Right at the top there is this log that you crawl over and then coast down the other side. As i went over the log i heard a cracking sound and my jeep dropped to the frame. I was high centered on this little freaking log and pissed until i noticed what had happened. Someone had dug a huge hole in the sand, covered the top with leaves and sticks, and then sand, basically a pungi trap without the sticks and feces.

As im trying to dig out, i notice a flashlight coming up towards me. It turned out to be another guy, stuck in a trap as well, he had broke both axles trying to get out of that one. We get to work on my jeep so that i could pull him out to the road where he would call for a tow.

It got dark, and thats when stuff got weird. I made a joke about "This is how horror movies start." As im digging i catch movement in the woods, about 20 yards away. I beam my surfire in that general direction and see nothing at first. I get back to digging and i see it again and this time i caught it in the light, it was a person, Long hair, long beard, dirty, muddy face with a disgusting looking white shirt on.
    He's about 15 yards now, peeking out from around a tree.

Now my brain starts going, i fell into a trap that was never here, and theres some crazy looking guy in the woods stalking us. Me and John, the guy that was stuck as well, took turns keeping guard as we tried to get the jeep to grab traction on something. I called the cavalry in, my buddy Red with his pickup to come get me the hell out of there. Right as i hung up the guy started approaching with what looked like a large stick in his hands, it was REAL DARK and the only place i could see now is where my almost dead surefire was pointing.
    I drew my little PM9 and flashed the light on it so this freak could see i was armed, he stopped dead in his tracks, looked like he was talking to himself, then retreated back into the woods. That was the first time i thought i was going to have to shoot someone, i have drawn my weapon before but this time it was different, I honestly believe that if i was not armed bad things would have happened out in those woods.

Red shows up with 5 other guys(Cavalry), i get unstuck, try to pull the other kid with no avail, and end up giving him a ride home. Freaky.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Lead Moderator
    Did you make a police report. If this guy is laying traps and waiting, it sounds like others may be a risk as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yea, definitely sounds like you were casted into a scary movie. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. Thats pretty messed up.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I didn't make a report but i did see some cops on the way out, i told him what just happened and he said i was trespassing and to get the hell out of there. They were just about to patrol the area when i was leaving. The land had been purchased and the new owner doesn't want anyone back in there anymore. I warned them and made my hasty retreat.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

eek

Maybe the new owner was the one that made the traps to keep people from wheeling on their property.

Did you have any conversation with the creepy guy? Ask if you could help him or what was up when you noticed him. Did he say anything?
    Maybe he was bringing you a stick to try to help leverage you out or to put it under your wheel for traction.

Communication is a good thing. 15 to 20 yds is not very far, even normal conversation should be able to be heard at that distance, especially if your out in the boonies. Try talking next time, maybe it will put everyone a little less on edge.

Glad it turned out ok for everyone.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    Hey you almost actually LIVED the De-Animator Zombie Killing Game.
    http://artscool.cfa.cmu.edu/~lee/deanimator.html

Have fun...it should bring back all of your bad memories.

That place has a erie feeling to it. One solution man, lift that puppy, and put some 35's on. Problem solved, then you could scare the bum with your Jeep. Tell him Rubi's like mud, and they also eat muddy bums.

Qkshooter, best score 28

Administrator
    The OPs Scenario really reminded me so much of the De-animator game.
    That is only reason I posted a link to it here.
    The tattered zombie like bum coming at this guy in the dark with a stick in his hands and him with a drawn firearm is so eerily similar to the game that it's uncanny.
    I didn't mean for it to throw his thread off topic.
    I apologize for doing that.
    No more comments about the De-Animator game. Just play it when you get the chance and have fun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Gamisou View Post
    That place has a erie feeling to it. One solution man, lift that puppy, and put some 35's on. Problem solved, then you could scare the bum with your Jeep. Tell him Rubi's like mud, and they also eat muddy bums.

Qkshooter, best score 28
    Your right about that one Pete, that and a winch, and a chainsaw, and maybe some flood lights in every freaking direction.
    كافر(Infidel)

Deliverance?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Maybe the new owner was the one that made the traps to keep people from wheeling on their property.

Did you have any conversation with the creepy guy? Ask if you could help him or what was up when you noticed him. Did he say anything?
    Maybe he was bringing you a stick to try to help leverage you out or to put it under your wheel for traction.

Communication is a good thing. 15 to 20 yds is not very far, even normal conversation should be able to be heard at that distance, especially if your out in the boonies. Try talking next time, maybe it will put everyone a little less on edge.

Glad it turned out ok for everyone.

Most owner put up gates and no trespassing signs. Digging traps is a bit counterproductive. sounds like the traps were set by the bush guy, I think the owner has bigger problems than the occasional 4x4.

You should have known when the scary music started playing that the monster was inbound!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    Maybe it is not too late to make a formal police report. Something is radically wrong here. If it is the owner who dug the traps, he is in the wrong. He should be hanging no trespass signs and not setting traps that disable vehicles.

If it was the wood creep who dug the trap, the owner needs to know, and so do the cops.

The cop who bad mouthed you needs a talking to, also.

The whole picture stinks. Make a formal report-- and omit the part about showing your weapon.

Some folks that set up drug labs also make booby traps to protect the area. I have come across situations similar to this before when hiking.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links