Used my CCW for the first time

This is a discussion on Used my CCW for the first time within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Note the ages of most victims, coyotes tend to try and get food (in most cases) a full grown person is too much for them ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Used my CCW for the first time

Lead Moderator
    Note the ages of most victims, coyotes tend to try and get food (in most cases) a full grown person is too much for them to handle. I don't know where you are, but heavily populated areas tend to increase animal encounter as well, since the animals are being pushed out of territory.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Always walk to the stand with 4 rounds in the clip but nothing in the chamber, until after I clime up.

While I am sure that can change from state to state, I never considered it a volition of the law for the firearm to be loaded. Figure I was not hunting, but rather transporting it to the hunting stand. If the rifle being loaded is a violation for hunting before daylight, then the same could be said for that Glock on your hip.

While others have express opinions that a coyote will not attack, I personally have no experience with them, so I can not say. But Iíve been attacked by wild boars, and Iíve had a black bear stand up on her hind legs and act real nasty. Seems I stumbled upon an area with her cubs. And while hunting desert rams, in the Southwest, the guide and I had a mountain lion circle us.

In any case, glad you had a loaded firearm with ya, and you made it out OK.

Hunting weapon of choice

270 Winchester with new pre-64 bolt action
    Leopold scope
    Hand loads; Nosler ballistic tip 130 gr.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Glad you're fine, though you probably needn't worry about predation by coyotes. It may sound incredible, but there has NEVER been a confirmed case of coyote attacks on humans in North America (or wolf, for that matter). While I'm certain it was frightening to know you were an integral part of a stalk, they probably weren't terribly interested in you. You stand a greater chance of dying by having a vending machine fall on you (three cases were reported of this happening last year!).

In KY, farm owners will pay you for killing coyotes year round. Good job.
    where are these farmers I need some money and would love to help them with this problem.....
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Basically yotes are harmless when it comes to adults. A few years ago, we had a nearby school kid walking when he was circled by a half dozen or so. No bites or any attack occurred. Don't feed is a good rule, unless you want contact.
    I shoot them on sight since there are way too many up here.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Probably ruined the chance of getting a deer with that shot.
    Like the coyotes wouldn't ruin your chances, never seen deer and coyotes hanging out together. I think the deer would steer clear of the whole area once the coyotes presence was known.

Administrator
    I've hunted coyotes for years. They dont like to be around people much at all, and they are smarter than a lot of people too.

Even the ones in the city that are used to humans will bolt at the first sign of a person approaching. I know they are well in city limits around here, as I see them foraging in the neighborhoods and industrial areas. The minute you approach, they are gone. They are far more elusive than deer.

I ride dirt bikes all over the eastern half and midwest of the U.S... I've seen a few yotes while out on my bike, but its always been a quick flash of their backsides and they are gone.

I cant imagine one let alone two allowing someone on a on ATV to get within pistol range in a rural area. They must be the zombie yotes we have been hearing about.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    In northern Arizona we shoot them on sight, The Babbit ranch (hashknife brand) welcomes varmint hunters w/open arms. I have found my CZ to be a perfect rifle for shooting them.
    CZ 527 chambered for .223 rem, 3X9 illuminated retical mil-dot scope. A winning combination for varmints!
    Attached Images
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by rogerswann View Post
    Like the coyotes wouldn't ruin your chances, never seen deer and coyotes hanging out together. I think the deer would steer clear of the whole area once the coyotes presence was known.
    Tough crowd today, Deer and Coyotes coexist pretty good in
    South Florida.

Deer, Its - whats for dinner.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I never considered it a volition of the law for the firearm to be loaded.
    It's not illegal to have a loaded gun, you just cant shoot deer til after a certain time.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've hunted coyotes for years. They dont like to be around people much at all, and they are smarter than a lot of people too.

Even the ones in the city that are used to humans will bolt at the first sign of a person approaching. I know they are well in city limits around here, as I see them foraging in the neighborhoods and industrial areas. The minute you approach, they are gone. They are far more elusive than deer.

I ride dirt bikes all over the eastern half and midwest of the U.S... I've seen a few yotes while out on my bike, but its always been a quick flash of their backsides and they are gone.

I cant imagine one let alone two allowing someone on a on ATV to get within pistol range in a rural area. They must be the zombie yotes we have been hearing about.

I think they were hunting something and I just happened to stubble upon them

coyotes here in NEPA are pretty gutsy. which is good, because it saves me money on targets at gander mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    It's not illegal to have a loaded gun, you just cant shoot deer til after a certain time.
    my thoughts too

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Good one. I had to use my on a rabid racoon once.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    I NEVER walk thru the woods without a loaded gun (hunting rifle or pistol) for that reason. Glad you are ok.

They just found a hunter up here who had been mauled to death and missing for 3 days. they say he got a shot off but missed the bear. Pity he didn't have a backup sidearm.

I would be more worried about running into a feral dog then a coyote..the coyotes around here (south kenton county) make a lot of noise and stay hidden.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links