Used my CCW for the first time

This is a discussion on Used my CCW for the first time within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Deer season opened up here in PA on monday Well I was up at my father in laws farm in Northern PA. He owns 110 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used my CCW for the first time

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Deer season opened up here in PA on monday Well I was up at my father in laws farm in Northern PA. He owns 110 acres and has a few tree stands. Well opening day I was up by 5 am, got ready, downed some eggs, toast and some coffee, got my rifle ready and grabbed my glock... thank god I did. It's still pretty dark out, dim enough to see but still dark, and was raining a bit. As I drove off on the ATV (with headlights) I heard my father in law shout out... watch out for coyotes, shoot em' if you see em'. I raise my hand in confirmation and take off on the ATV up to the tree stand way up on the other end of the property. As I'm getting off the ATV I sling my rifle over my shoulder and grab my coffee and begin walking up to the tree stand about 25 yards away. Well as I was walking I heard something russling in the bushes off to my left. Now at this point its still not legal to shoot a deer, and my rifle is not loaded yet. I quickly make haste to the tree stand as I see a coyote come out from behind the tree while another one comes up from behind me, just circling me about 20 yards out. I pull out my Glock (which was open on my hip) and shot the one coyote and dropped him instantly, the other ran off from the shot. I was shaking like a leaf as I got on the walkie-talkie and told my father in law I just shot a coyote. He told me not to touch it and he'd come up with the other ATV and bring it down to the house and report it to the game commissioner. I was a little shaken, but still got up in the tree stand and waited for a deer... which I never got but thanks to my CCW... I was able to defend myself from a predator.
    Last edited by Pro2A; November 29th, 2007 at 11:39 AM.

I NEVER walk thru the woods without a loaded gun (hunting rifle or pistol) for that reason. Glad you are ok.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    I NEVER walk thru the woods without a loaded gun (hunting rifle or pistol) for that reason. Glad you are ok.
    Same here although I'm far more concerned with bear and mtn lion than with coyotes.

Glad you're fine, though you probably needn't worry about predation by coyotes. It may sound incredible, but there has NEVER been a confirmed case of coyote killing humans in North America (or wolf, for that matter). While I'm certain it was frightening to know you were an integral part of a stalk, they probably weren't terribly interested in you. You stand a greater chance of dying by having a vending machine fall on you (three cases were reported of this happening last year!).

In KY, farm owners will pay you for killing coyotes year round. Good job.
    Last edited by Scot Van; November 30th, 2007 at 07:09 AM.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Probably ruined the chance of getting a deer with that shot.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    Probably ruined the chance of getting a deer with that shot.
    My father in law got a doe down near the house in his stand

There was probably a rabbit somewhere near you that you didn't see.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I was a little shaken, but still got up in the tree stand and waited for a deer... which I never got but thanks to my CCW... I was able to defend myself from a predator.
    Maybe the coffee or the shooting had something to do with that?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Glad you're fine, though you probably needn't worry about predation by coyotes. It may sound incredible, but there has NEVER been a confirmed case of coyote attacks on humans in North America (or wolf, for that matter). While I'm certain it was frightening to know you were an integral part of a stalk, they probably weren't terribly interested in you. You stand a greater chance of dying by having a vending machine fall on you (three cases were reported of this happening last year!).

In KY, farm owners will pay you for killing coyotes year round. Good job.
    Not completely true. A snowboarder was chased down and bitten by a coyote at Durango Mtn. Resort in S. Colorado a couple years ago. Turns out the boarders had been feeding him for a while and he lost his fear of people. CO wildlife department killed the coyote. I agree with you about the vending machine. People are way too nervous about four legged animals and way too slack about the two legged ones.

Good shooting, by the way. Nice to know you can still it something when you are stressed.

Lead Moderator
    Wow , you have some brave coyotes there. It is rare to see many around here , although there are lots of em. They just tend to hide out till dark.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If there was even a chance that shooting that coyote ruinnned my deer hunt, well, let's just say "coyote jerky."
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hey, any day you kill a coyote is a good day.

I hate, hate, hate them.

But I respect their ability to survive despite our best efforts to eradicate them. Tough animals, true survivors.

I shoot them on sight. Period.

Even you weren't defending yourself from the 'yotes, you defended your father-in-law's livestock, pets and game animals.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Hey, any day you kill a coyote is a good day.

I hate, hate, hate them.

But I respect their ability to survive despite our best efforts to eradicate them. Tough animals, true survivors.

I shoot them on sight. Period.

Even you weren't defending yourself from the 'yotes, you defended your father-in-law's livestock, pets and game animals.
    Yup.......They'll kill your chickens.

VIP Member
    Here in the east, coyotes are really becoming a problem. I've killed two in the last 18 months.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Wow , you have some brave coyotes there. It is rare to see many around here , although there are lots of em. They just tend to hide out till dark.
    Check this out:

Table 1. Coyote attacks in California, 1978 – 2003, listed chronologically.
    Date Location Attack Details
    May 1978 Pasadena 5-yr-old girl bitten on left leg while in driveway of home.
    May 1979 Pasadena 2-yr-old girl attacked by coyote while eating cookies on front porch; grabbed by throat and cheek.
    June 1979 Pasadena Adult male bitten on heel while picking up newspaper from front yard.
    July 1979 Pasadena 17-yr-old female's leg lacerated by coyotes while attempting to save dog being attacked.
    July 1979 Pasadena Coyote bit adult male on legs while jogging; climbed tree to escape.
    Aug. 1979 La Verne Coyote grabbed 5-yr-old girl and attempted to drag her into bushes. Suffered deep bites on neck, head, and legs before saved by father and a neighbor.
    July 1980 Agoura Hills 13-month-old girl grabbed and dragged off by coyote. Suffered puncture wounds to midsection before being saved by
    mother.
    Aug. 1981 Glendale 3-yr-old girl killed in front yard by coyote; massive bleeding and broken neck.
    Aug. 1988 Oceanside 4-yr-old boy nipped and bruised by coyote while playing in yard. (Morning)
    Aug. 1988 Oceanside 8-yr-old girl approached by coyote while roller-skating, after she had fallen. Coyote tugged at her skate, and was scared off by two women who threw rocks. (Morning)
    Aug. 1988 Oceanside Coyote grabbed 3-yr-old girl by the leg and pulled her down, then bit her on head and neck. Coyote chased off by mother and neighbors. (7 PM)
    Oct. 1988 San Diego Adult female bitten by coyote in back yard, while talking on phone. (Daytime)
    June 1990 Reds Meadow 5-yr-old girl attacked and bitten in head while in sleeping bag at campground. (3 AM)
    June 1990 Reds Meadow One person bitten on foot through sleeping bag; one bitten on hand; same campground as above.
    Sept. 1991 Laguna Niguel Man chased, and his poodle was ripped from his arms; poodle taken by coyote.
    Mar. 1992 San Marcos Adult female attacked and bitten on face while rescuing pit bull pup from attack in her yard.
    Apr. 1992 Fallbrook Grove worker bitten by coyote.
    May 1992 San Clemente 5-yr-old girl attacked and bitten several times on her back, climbed swing set to get away; mother chased off coyote.
    (Daytime)
    Oct. 1992 Fallbrook 10-yr-old boy attacked and bitten on head while asleep on back porch of residence. (4 AM)
    Oct. 1994 Griffith Park Man with no shirt or shoes bitten by coyote. (5 PM)
    Mar. 1995 Griffith Park Man with no shirt bitten by coyote. (Noon)
    Mar. 1995 Griffith Park Coyote stalked and then knocked down 5-yr-old girl twice; mother rescued child. (Daytime)
    June 1995 Griffith Park Woman in shorts, barefoot, preparing food, bitten by coyote. (Daytime)
    June 1995 Laguna Niguel Man attacked while lying on chaise lounge, stargazing bitten on bare foot. (Night)
    June 1995 Laguna Niguel Man bitten on bare foot while getting newspaper from yard. (Mid-morning)
    June 1995 UC Riverside Three boys chased; 7-yr-old bitten. (Late afternoon)
    July 1995 Griffith Park Man bitten by coyote while sleeping on lawn. (2:45 PM)
    July 1995 Griffith Park Man bitten by coyote while sleeping on lawn. (4 PM)
    July 1995 Griffith Park Coyote was chased away once; then returned to attack 15-mo-old girl in jumpsuit; child suffered bites to leg. (4 PM)
    Sept. 1995 Fullerton 3-yr-old girl attacked in yard, bitten on face, head, and thigh. (6:30 PM)
    Nov. 1995 UC Riverside Children chased while playing; 3-yr-old boy bitten.
    June 1996 Los Altos Coyote grabbed 3-yr-old boy by hand and dragged him toward bushes; treated for bites on scalp and hand. 15-yr-old brother scared coyote away. (8 PM)
    Jan. 1997 San Juan Capistrano Two women attacked; one bitten twice on left ankle and pulled to ground. Both yelled, used alarm device, and swung
    handbag.
    Jan. 1997 San Juan Capistrano Coyote attacked adult female, grabbed lunch pail and ran.
    Jan. 1997 San Juan Capistrano Coyote charged adult female, took purse containing lunch.
    Jan. 1997 San Juan Capistrano Coyote charged adult female and took purse.
    Jan. 1997 San Juan Capistrano Coyote attacked man, bit shoe, no injury. Coyote refused to retreat. (Before daylight)
    Jan. 1997 San Juan Capistrano Coyote jumped on back of man, biting his backpack. Was knocked off and retreated.
    Feb. 1997 So. Lake Tahoe Man attacked and bitten on hand while feeding coyote. (Late morning)
    Feb. 1997 So. Lake Tahoe 4-yr-old girl in yard attacked and severely bitten; heavy snowsuit protected all but face. Father rescued child. Coyote stayed in unfenced yard until shot by police. (Late morning)
    Sept. 1997 Pomona Man was stalked, then attacked by two coyotes, and bitten on ankle. (Early evening, daylight)
    Nov. 1998 San Mateo County Coyote approached group of 4 women hikers and bit woman on buttocks.
    Nov. 1998 San Mateo County Coyote approached 3 women hikers, grabbed one by pant her leg, let go, attempted to attacked again.
    Spring 1999 So. Lake Tahoe area Two adults bitten by coyotes.
    Spring 1999 So. Lake Tahoe area Woman bitten by coyote in parking lot of motel.
    May 1999 Canyon Country Coyote attacked dog in yard, and would not cease attack; man scratched in melee. (Night)
    Aug. 1999 Green Valley Lake Coyotes attacked woman and her dogs in yard; one dog bitten. Woman and dogs escaped to vehicle; coyotes jumped aggressively on car and scratched it. (8:30 AM)
    Aug. 1999 San Antonio Heights Three coyotes attacked and killed dog being walked on leashed by elderly man.
    Oct. 1999 Ventura County Six coyotes attacked man on bicycle with his dog; dog bitten.
    Nov. 1999 Hollywood Hills Coyote attacked and killed pet dog in man’s presence; coyote would not leave. (Morning)
    Feb. 2000 Calimesa Adult male attacked in back yard by coyote while attempting to rescue dog; suffered cuts, scrapes, and bruises. (9 PM)
    May 2000 La Mesa 3-yr-old boy bitten on his side; treated for 4 puncture wounds. (7 PM)
    May 2000 Dublin area Coyote killed small dog while woman was taking it for walk.
    Oct. 2000 Oildale Pair of coyotes treed woman’s pet cat, then turned aggressively on her.
    April 2001 Pomona 54-year-old woman fought, using an axe handle, with a large coyote that had attacked small poodle in back yard. Received bite on leg, and despite her efforts, the coyote killed the poodle and jumped over fence carrying the carcass. (4:30 PM)
    June 2001 Frazier Park 22-yr-old female camp counselor sleeping in open awakened by coyote sniffing and pawing at her head. (2 AM)
    June 2001 Northridge 7-year-old girl attacked and seriously injured by a coyote, despite mother's attempts to fight off the coyote. (7 PM)
    July 2001 Thousand Oaks Five coyotes attacked large dog in yard, and aggressively threatened residents attempting to rescue dog; would not leave area despite two visits by sheriff.
    July 2001 Irvine 3-yr-old boy bitten by coyote in leg while playing in yard; attack interrupted by father, who was 10-20 ft. away at time of bite. (8:15 PM)
    July 2001 Tustin Coyote bit woman.
    July 2001 Encinitas Coyote attacked and took dog, while it was being walked on leash by woman. (4 PM)
    Aug. 2001 Hollywood Hills Coyotes bit man 8 times as he was defending his dog against their attack. (11:50 PM)
    Aug. 2001 Irvine Woman walking poodle on leash bitten by coyote while attempting to remove dog from coyote’s mouth. (4:30 PM)
    Aug. 2001 Chatsworth Two coyotes came into yard and took pet cat out of hands of 19-mo-old toddler.
    Sept. 2001 Agoura Woman attacked by coyote when she attempted to stop its attack on her small dog. (7:15 AM)
    Sept. 2001 Lancaster Man walking encountered 4 coyotes, which crouched, circling him, attempting to attack. Fought off with walking stick, hitting one square across the face. (Morning)
    Oct. 2001 San Clemente Coyote attacked children on schoolyard; 8-yr-old girl bitten on back of neck and scratched; 7-yr-old boy bitten on back and arm. Third student attacked but coyote bit backpack. (12:15 PM)
    Nov. 2001 San Diego 8-yr-old girl bitten in leg by coyote that family had been feeding at their apartment. (1:30 PM)
    Nov. 2001 La Habra Heights Coyote on golf course ran up to woman, jumped on her back, and bit her on right forearm. (Daytime).
    Dec. 2001 San Gabriel Coyote bit 3-yr-old girl in head; grabbed her shoulder in an attempt to drag her off. Father chased coyote off. (7:30 PM)
    May 2002 Anza Borrego St. Park Coyote bit boy in sleeping bag on the head.
    May 2002 Los Angeles Coyote attacked man walking his dog.
    July 2002 Woodland Hills Adult female attacked by coyote, bitten on arm. (6 AM)
    July 2002 Woodland Hills Adult male bitten on boot by coyote when he inadvertently came upon it between car and garage.
    July 2002 Canoga Park Woman walking 2 large dogs accosted by 3 coyotes; fell backward and fended coyotes off.
    July 2002 Carlsbad Woman walking Labrador retriever accosted by 8-10 coyotes, which bit at her legs and pants after she tripped and fell; her dog fought off the coyotes until she could escape. (10 PM)
    Aug. 2002 Mission Hills Coyote approached couple walking dog, attempting to snatch dog out of man’s arms; left only after being kicked. (4 AM)
    Nov. 2002 Carbon Canyon Coyote came into trailer park and took dog in presence of its owner. (3 PM)
    Nov. 2002 Woodland Hills Coyote scaled 6-ft. wall into yard, attacked and killed small dog in presence of owner; in melee, woman kicked coyote, then fell and fractured her elbow and was attacked and scratched by coyote. (1 PM)
    Dec. 2002 East Highland Utility worker attacked by coyote, which tore his trousers. (Evening)
    Dec. 2002 East Highland Coyote attacked adult male. (Evening)
    Feb. 2003 Lake View Terrace Jogger bitten (tooth scrape on ankle) by coyote after jogging past neighborhood coyote feeding station.
    May 2003 Woodland Hills Coyote acted aggressively toward man after he intervened during its attack on his dog.
    May 2003 Highland Coyote came into neighbor’s garage after 2-yr-old girl, biting her on arm. (10 PM)
    May 2003 Woodland Hills Coyote came into residence to attack small pet dogs. (2 PM)
    July 2003 Granada Hills Boy walking family’s 2 dogs attacked by 3 coyotes; one dog was killed and the other injured; rescued by father.
    July 2003 Alta Loma Coyote grabbed her small dog while woman was walking it; she was able to rescue it.
    Aug. 2003 Apple Valley 4-yr-old boy attacked on golf course; bitten on face and neck; saved by father. (Late afternoon)
    Nov. 2003 Claremont Man and his dog attacked by 3-4 coyotes; he defended himself, hitting several coyotes with his walking stick. (8 AM)

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/awm/docs/coyoteattacks.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links