"Early Warning" Home Security - Page 2

"Early Warning" Home Security

This is a discussion on "Early Warning" Home Security within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a great idea and would work well at my location, too. I even have an old birdhouse I could modify.... What do you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Early Warning" Home Security

This is a great idea and would work well at my location, too. I even have an old birdhouse I could modify....

What do you expect for battery life? Is there a low-battery warning? I'd imagine performance will decrease with battery life, and if left on 24/7, the batteries probably won't last too long....

In previous applications where I've needed to power devices out in the yard remotely (802.11 wifi repeater, security camera, lights) I've simply strung lamp cord through an old garden hose and buried it 6" deep - takes a while for long runs. If the device to be powered uses a step-down transformer (wallwart), pass the lower voltage through the long cable run instead of using the 110. This does put additional strain on the transformer (resistance of the cable and all) but with decent gauge wire I haven't had a problem. I'll consider rigging up a system like this for a "driveway alarm" if the battery performance isn't so good. Any input?

Thanks for the idea.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    This is a great idea and would work well at my location, too. I even have an old birdhouse I could modify....

What do you expect for battery life? Is there a low-battery warning? I'd imagine performance will decrease with battery life, and if left on 24/7, the batteries probably won't last too long....

In previous applications where I've needed to power devices out in the yard remotely (802.11 wifi repeater, security camera, lights) I've simply strung lamp cord through an old garden hose and buried it 6" deep - takes a while for long runs. If the device to be powered uses a step-down transformer (wallwart), pass the lower voltage through the long cable run instead of using the 110. This does put additional strain on the transformer (resistance of the cable and all) but with decent gauge wire I haven't had a problem. I'll consider rigging up a system like this for a "driveway alarm" if the battery performance isn't so good. Any input?

Thanks for the idea.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    There's no low battery warning, other than failure, that I know of. We're in and out a lot, so we'll be testing it frequently.

No experience yet on battery life. It'll be dependent on motion detectots usage, transmission usage, and ambient temps, Summers here may well brutalize the batteries.

Good idea on the step-down transformer!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Very ingenius! Looks like a good set up, once you get all the perameters set, such as battery performance and etc...

Very cool!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    That is very nice.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    We have a lot of deer who saunter through our yard. I assume that they would set this off as well - do you have any experience with this sensor and deer yet?

Cheeky buggers. This one stuck his tongue out at me when I took the photo:
    Last edited by Paymeister; December 2nd, 2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: (added bogus photo)

A single person walking thru the field sets it off - I'm pretty sure most deer would do likewise. Time for a license?

Great pic, BTW!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Nice idea...'clever' hideout...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    ...Great pic, BTW!
    Thanks - pulled from http://www.michaelgallagherphoto.com/ from a Google search: he does good work.

Actually, here in VA a homeowner can take deer without a license. I got my first deer this year: shot it in my bathroom.

I mean, I was in the bathroom, and shot out the window.

Hm. Maybe similar alarms across the road for intruders, and across the game trail for deer?

Similar initial response, too...

VIP Member
    I've been looking at this same setup for a long time, but always felt it would be obvious. What a great idea to hide it. You got my mind working now. Thanks for the post.

This is great info. Thanks everyone. I work nights the wife has 3 rotties but
    I like the chime early warning system to wake up the pups
    Support your local gun shop.

VIP Member
    RandG...great Idea that gets me moving....thank you!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I like the Idea Walmart now has cameras affordable for anyones budget bought one for my front door and back door.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links