"Early Warning" Home Security

This is a discussion on "Early Warning" Home Security within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods: If I post this in the wrong place, just move it...... We live on a lake, in a semi-remote rural setting with only one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Early Warning" Home Security

"Early Warning" Home Security

Mods: If I post this in the wrong place, just move it......

We live on a lake, in a semi-remote rural setting with only one neighbor, at the end of our street. The street terminates into a circle drive for our house. The street is marked a "No Outlet" at the top. We get a few curious that wander through, and some delivery folks, but for the most part, maybe one a day average not counting mail.

We live in a pretty poor county that's 800 square miles, and LEO response times reflect a small budget and a large territory.

We've also seen increases in crime, illegal drug arrests, particularly meth, so the environment is sending us a few warning signals........

Despite having three dogs, I still wanted a "Early Alert" to put at the top of our drive way. Nancy found a wireless First Alert Driveway Alarm, so I disguised it and put it at the top of our circle drive. The performance to date has been great, and when it chimes all of the dogs alert, as well as their pack leaders.

I bought a Bluebird Nest box to hide the remote motion detector, and added a nest box predator guard to focus the motion detector and further disguise it. Our property is covered with bird nest boxes and bird feeders, so this one just blends in.

The motion detector is mounted inside the swinging door with Velcro:

The door swings closed and is clipped:

And the homemade security system disappeers.......

Now, I don't kid myself, this won't prevent zombie attacks or the like, but it will trigger an alarm if the zombies use the street. Given the other three sides of our property are heavy oak brush and scrabble, or the lake, it'll give me a little "heads up".....

2. Remove Ads

Sweet setup thanks for the great info.....
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

Very, Very nice. Many false alarms?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Now I know what I'm doing this weekend. Home Depot, ahoy!
    Thanks, and great post.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Excellant idea.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

So what kind of range are you getting with that (form sensor to house)? I need a driveway sensor as well and that setup looks VERY nice.

Absolutely brilliant, and hidden in plain sight. Times like this I wish I didn't live in the suburbs so I could do stuff like that.

Have you had any birds try to nest in the tube yet? Thats the only downside I could see...
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I use this from Harbor freight for a alarm. you can mount it anywhere, and it is only 19.99.

Never be caught off guard again with this completely wireless infrared alert system. Just place the sensor anywhere on your property and the receiver anywhere in your house up to 400 ft away. The receiver makes a pleasant chiming sound when sensor is crossed.
    Weather resistant
    Requires one 9 volt and three C batteries (not included)

ITEM 93068-0VGA

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93068
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Lead Moderator
    That is just too cool!! Looks like you did a great job in hiding the device in plain sight.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

very nice. necessity for living in a rural place.
    even not just for watching out for bad guys, its good to know that the friend you invited over is there b4 the door bell rings.

Sweet......I may plagerize that idea.

I'll give you credit and burn "RocknGlock" over the hole
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thanks for the Nice Comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Very, Very nice. Many false alarms?
    The "Predator Guard" reduced almost all of the "falsing" I was getting. Interestingly enough, it falsed early in the AM when the direct light from the sun hit the detector. The predator guard virtually eliminated that source. Motion from the wind in bushes, as well as cats or dogs, is virtually nonexistent now that I installed the guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Now I know what I'm doing this weekend. Home Depot, ahoy!
    Thanks, and great post.
    I got this nest box at Lowes. HD and Lowes sell cheap ones thou, so you'll want to add some counter-sunk anodized wood screws to all joints so it will last longer. I did not use CWF or varnish either, so it'll weather out like all of the other nest boxed around here.

The Predator Guard will be available at a Wildbird Center, a Birds Unlimited, or a wild bird specialty store. One could also be made with PVC or the like.

http://www.wildbirdcenter.com/

http://www.wbu.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    So what kind of range are you getting with that (form sensor to house)? I need a driveway sensor as well and that setup looks VERY nice.
    During the testing stage the detector was shooting 30-40 feet successfully with fresh batteries. The guard might reduce the range - I only need it to shoot 20-25 feet across our driveway approach. Right now, as installed, the detector is about 65-70 feet from the base unit inside (a small battery powered deal - two volumes available - loud and louder). The nest box obviously will reduce its range to the base. The company claimed 400 feet - but I did not validate that, and I have reservations about that under anything but ideal circumstances with fresh batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    Have you had any birds try to nest in the tube yet? Thats the only downside I could see...
    During testing, before I added the predator guard, a couple of House Wrens spent an entire afternoon trying to get in. It was hilarious watching those little suckers........

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Nice idea. Does it send the alert inside the house? Can you disable it when you come home so the dogs don't learn that you are the one who sets it off?

I used to have one of those deer alerts on a car years ago. I got a puppy and in about 6 weeks he figured out when I was on my way home before I turned the corner to come home. He would do this from 2 blocks away. After the alert went out he associated it to my engine motor cause he always knew I was almost home before I got there according to my wife./
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    Nice idea. Does it send the alert inside the house? Can you disable it when you come home so the dogs don't learn that you are the one who sets it off?
    The battery powered base is inside with on/off and volume controls. No remote "off" for the pups thou. They know my truck already, as well as the USPS lady's, and UPS.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links