Invasion... While In The Shower

This is a discussion on Invasion... While In The Shower within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, I know. I just had to go there. I'm one of those lucky people who can always get things to happen by performing a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Invasion... While In The Shower

Senior Moderator

Yeah, I know. I just had to go there.

I'm one of those lucky people who can always get things to happen by performing a simple action: getting in the shower.

If I'm waiting for a call from my doctor's office all I have to do is be in the middle of soaping up my hair and the phone will ring.

If the exterminator is coming over he'll only be early if I get in the shower.

If I've been trying to get JD to call me back for two hours he'll only have time the second I step in the shower.

If my cats are going to break anything they always wait until I get in the shower so they can increase my anxiety by at least four times.

For instance. Two weeks ago I get in the shower. About five minutes into it I hear a horrible crash of breaking glass and pounding and banging. I jump out of the shower, peak my head around the corner and there is a lamp and small table knocked over and glass from a vase that used to be on that table strewn all over the floor and two VERY guilty looking kittens staring up at me with terrified little eyes.

It scared the CRAP out of me.

It's just the way it goes around me.

In those threads titled "Do You Carry At Home?" the common answer is "If I'm not in bed or in the shower, my gun is with me," or "Putting my gun on is part of getting dressed."

Well, let's say you are as unlucky as I am and if it's going to happen it's going to happen in that instance where you are almost as vulnerable as if you were sleeping (if not more vulnerable).

Your hearing is impaired because you have the noise of the water drowning out a good portion of what you would normally hear. You are blind because your eyes are closed while the soap is in them. You are naked and unarmed and home alone. The S has taken this opportunity to HTF.

For sake of an scenario, lets say that two men break into your home.

What do you do?

Senior Moderator
    Any LEO will tell you they don't like fighting with a naked person. Nothing to grab onto.

That aside you will probably hear someone coming in the bathroom and maybe able to grab a H2H weapon, edged or blunt object if you position one in or by the shower.

I avoid this problem by only bathing once a month (whether I need it or not) and then bathing in the Tallapoosa river.
    Sunflowerzz likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

My wife is known to have a Colt 1911 hidden beneath a towel while showering. She keeps it and a cell phone handy. She also is able to open a few bathroom drawers which are situated only inches from the bathroom door, effectively blocking it if entry was attempted to be forced. She's a good gal.

For myself, I never give it a thought. Someone's going to have to have a strong stomach to barge in on me in the shower.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    You are blind because your eyes are closed while the soap is in them. You are naked and unarmed and home alone. The S has taken this opportunity to HTF.

What do you do?
    First. No cats for me. Now I don't have ot worry about them knocking over the lamps.

Second. Limatunes, you're supposed to close your eyes first, so the soap doesn't get in your eyes.

Third. One of the reasons I wouldn't like cats in the house knocking over lamps is so if there is a large bang or any strange noises, I know something is up. I keep my HK P7 on top of the wall cabinet ledge that is 3" from my shower curtain.
    Doors are all locked.
    T's my wife off sometimes but it's become instinctive for me to lock them. Oh well.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Dude. Why do you think they make Ziplock freezer bags...?

Put one of these in the shower. Just keep the Wilson in a gallon ziplock bag, you could shoot through it if you had to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Rj7gW0V8g

I have thought about puting one on the side of the bed to keep my gun off the nightstand.

Rob you beat me on the ziplock remark.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Dude. Why do you think they make Ziplock freezer bags...?
    can you say "Marine" Magnum?

Lima, just take the 870 in the bathroom with you, the Norrels finish will repel the water nicely, just keep it muzzle down and prop it next to the sink.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Well, let's say you are as unlucky as I am and if it's going to happen it's going to happen in that instance where you are almost as vulnerable as if you were sleeping (if not more vulnerable).

Your hearing is impaired because you have the noise of the water drowning out a good portion of what you would normally hear. You are blind because your eyes are closed while the soap is in them. You are naked and unarmed and home alone. The S has taken this opportunity to HTF.

What do you do?
    I lock the house's door, turn the alarm on and lock the bathroom door, then have either a handgun of some kind sitting on a towel on the sink, or just grab a long gun (pistol gripped mossburg 500 with a 7 shot tube loaded with OO or OOO buck or a mini-14 with a mag full of FMJ) as I grab a towel and lean said longarm against the wall within reach but out of the immediate spray.

Please don't bother me while I'm shaving in the shower. The razor may slip and that annoys the hell out of me.

If you make me bleed, I will seek to return the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    can you say "Marine" Magnum?

Lima, just take the 870 in the bathroom with you, the Norrels finish will repel the water nicely, just keep it muzzle down and prop it next to the sink.
    Ah.

So I'm not the only person who thinks this way...

L - This may be a reason to pick up a Glock of some kind. I mean, its not like it will rust...

Senior Moderator

Good responses. I like the "fast holster."

I knew I was going to have fun with this thread!

That would really suck. You break into a home expecting it to be a cake walk. Walk into the bathroom and get introduced to a naked man (or woman) sporting a Remington 870.

It would be an interesting read in the paper the next morning.

VIP Member
    This is a good point and something to think about although it's never really bothered me. Maybe it should, but I'll spare everyone any tactical strategy details about ME being in the shower.

I had a neighbor who told me that he was really freaked out to shower if he happened to be home alone. I asked him exactly what bothered him and he told me that he was frightened about haints and spooks. I told him to just close the bathroom door and lock it. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "you know they can come right through the door, don't you"?
    Last edited by ppkheat; December 10th, 2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: grammar correction
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You could just squirt soap in the BGs eyes...

Austin

Don't shower when there is no one else home. Don't shower with the person who is your backup.

Hmmmm, maybe I need to slide my gun a bit closer to the shower door. I have it in the bathroom, but it's over behind the door. Not a smart place for it if someone kicks in the door. Yeh, I'll be changing that.

Alarm is always on, unless wife turns it off to answer the door for a stranger (yes, it does happen. ) If no one else is home, it's got X seconds before the alarm starts shrieking, so it's possible someone could kick the bathroom door in before I would hear the loud portion of the alarm... unless I turn on the "instant" alarm. I could do that if I knew no one would be coming home during my shower...

Quote Originally Posted by 1911packer View Post
    Don't shower when there is no one else home. Don't shower with the person who is your backup.
    Excellent advice.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links