Home invasion and your in a split level basement

This is a discussion on Home invasion and your in a split level basement within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your in the basement of split level home and the BG's come in upstairs with your family upstairs at night and your the only one ...

Thread: Home invasion and your in a split level basement

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Your in the basement of split level home and the BG's come in upstairs with your family upstairs at night and your the only one armed. The exterior of the home have snow fenses that would slow any response you have by more than three minutes.

The stairs lead to a wide open living room with two bedrooms at the top of the stairs a bathroom at the left and a six foot long hall to get to the master bedroom. The main house entry is at 1 O'clock, the Garage is at 3 O'clock, a pattio door is at five O'clock, but should be locked. Waiting for the PD is not an option due to response time will be substantial

So what is the correct tactical approach?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Cut loose the dog and then go cover the BG while the dog tears him a new one.

OOPS no dog? I know my house very well and walk it in the dark every night and the BG does not. So that said I would pull the breaker on the lighting mains (if I am awake the house is lit), and use the strobe and move tactic with the M6X on the HK, N in the 5-6 seconds they are blinking dots I neutralize the threat.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Secure your perimeter so entry is not easy. If the family is upstairs, you can't sit around, so a good plan based on your home is necessary in advance.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I'll throw in another wrinkle: I'm a guest. The SO's response could be as high as thirty minutes so we would be on our own.

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

does said basement have direct access to the outside, i.e and door too the back yard?

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by SevenSix9ine View Post
    does said basement have direct access to the outside, i.e and door too the back yard?

-Alex
    Yes, but there are snow fenses in the yard that does make it harder to get around front, could take about five minutes to do so

Considering I know my way through snow, I would take the back door to get a better view of the living room. Or if I could see clearly into the living room under the door or if it were open. My only concern would be entering a room where BGs are known to be but not being able to tell where they are.

I can promise this much once I got a fix on the first one it would be on like donkey kong. It's gonna take and co-op act of congress and God to stop me from getting my family out of harms way.

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

Well unless the guy walks like a Kung-fu master you are going to hear where in the house he is, (never been in a silent basement) and if there is more than one BG.

As an example.. I'll use my house.. my basement opens into a hallway with an office directly across from the basement door.. the family room is to the right.. a small vestibule and laundry room access to the left. Also to the left is a small hallway that opens to the formal living room (where the front door is at) and the dining room which is connected to the kitchen and the family room. It's basically a big square (have to love cookie cutter homes) that is actually very open.. not many places to hide. I also have a vicious attack cat that will scratch the hell out of your pants leg, she really likes my expensive suit pants.. damn cat.

Anyways.. it is simply a matter of knowing where the perp is. I know my way around my house in the dark staggering drunk.. but I bet he does not. Throwing the breaker is a good idea.. however if the wife/kids woke up to pure blackness would they freak? I know i get an uneasy feeling waking up with the power out.

The up 1/2 flight of stairs is a landing, 180 turn to the 2nd level. 2nd level hall way is wide open.. two bedrooms to the left.. master to the right.. bathroom slightly offset to the left.

I'm fairly confident that if I were in the basement.. and someone broke in I could safely eliminate the threat relatively quickly. I have never run a drill.. but the gf knows if the SHTF where the best defensive positions are.

However, avoiding this all together.. the doors are always locked (deadbolted w/ the big dead bolts. not sure the size.. but they go through the door frame not just barely into them).. alarm is on for the doors/windows. At night it gets turned fully on.. motion detectors (except for 2nd floor) I don't want to stumble to the pisser in the middle of the night and set that ******* off..

There are only a few people with a key to my place.. myself.. my gf.. my sister/best friend). If anyone else is in my place in the middle of the night.. pretty much guaranteed they don't belong.

As i'm typing this I feel almost 'mall ninjaesque'.. saying this is what i'd do... but in reality the question actually made me think about my response and the way I have things layed out in the house.. I think I have done well.. won't know for sure till SHTF which.. I hope it never does..

If I had a wife/kids and someone broke in trying to harm them.. I think it'd be more of an emotional response than a 'tactical' response. In all reality I'd be as loud as I could be to draw his attention to me.. I stand a better chance being armed. Even if he is expecting me.. I have never met a 'smart' criminal... only ones I have met always got caught.

I would NEVER own one. So this is an illogical situation for me.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    I would NEVER own one. So this is an illogical situation for me.
    Thanks for the input CW.

!st, call 911. 2nd, low crawl to the top of the stairs and analyze the situation. Hopefully you have a good field of fire and then begin double tap drill until done.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

Quote Originally Posted by Manan View Post
    Thanks for the input CW.

!st, call 911. 2nd, low crawl to the top of the stairs and analyze the situation. Hopefully you have a good field of fire and then begin double tap drill until done.
    or pump the gauge. will scare the crap outta anyone down there. they will leave unless strung out on drugs... in that case... feel free to take em down.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Keep you weapon close at hand no matter where and when, know where you are at, and where every obstacle is at. SA?

Stay low, stealth, and aim high when you correctly identify the target to reduce accidental family injury.

Being a guest, I would presume the host would know you are CC?

This is where I love our old house and the tell-tale floors. There is one path from the front door to the basement stairs then down that can be walked without making a sound, and the intruder that has the best chance of doing it is a stumbling drunk on the verge of passing out. The Ferrets can't run around the upstairs without us knowing exactly where they are at when we are downstairs, let alone the three cats and the 3 month old alarm system in training.

Our master bedroom is in the basement under the front door. The back door is steel, and long double key deadbolt. Upstairs windows are too high off the ground to climb through without assistance, and the basement windows are a deathtrap (moreover they are not going to do it gracefully, quietly or uninjured - 13" tall, 6' drop to the floor) for anyone trying to come through there.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

First I would pull the pin in my Mil spec flashbang...toss into the house...then execute a forward tuck and roll...maybe hope over the couch or coffee table...then I would pull out my gun and proceed to slowly pull the trigger...and scream like a banshee. :)

Maybe not. I went to a Blackwater CQB course and the instructors said that even if you performed basic CQB perfectly..in the end its still a "Crap Sandwich"
    Last edited by Scott; December 24th, 2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: profanity

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well, its kind of hard to lay out a plan unless I actually see the house, but I will tell you what I have learned from past experiences.

1. Adrenaline has proven time and time again that it can foul up the best laid plans. Keep your plan simple.

2. The best of the best guard dogs may still decide that at 3 a.m. they are "off duty". Mine did that to me as she looked up from her bed through one blood shot eye and said "sorry, I'm tired".

3. Keep your cell phone by the bed, on the charger (a dead phone does no good), and in easy reach.

4. Get the calvary on the way. If you have a spouse, have your spouse call while you assess the situation. Also, many agencies are now equipped to utilize the GPS location feature that are on many phones. Find out if your agency does, and make sure that your phone has that feature. If it doesn't, time to upgrade. It may save your life.

5. Keep more than one gun in your bedroom. No matter how anti-gun your spouse might be, I can just about guarantee you that if the time comes they will reconsider their position.

6. YOUR HOUSE IS YOUR CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT! If you manage to catch them in time and send the BG's packing, don't leave your house to chase the bad guys. Thats why you get the calvary on the way. When you step out of the house to give chase, you move into an uncontrolled environment or even worse you move into the BG's CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT. You are stacking the odds against you.

7. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the darkside. Thats not a bad thing, its an advantage. USE IT! Home invasions are dynamic and can move fast. YOUR house, YOUR home, YOUR family, YOU have been selected by predator(s) to be absolutely violated. You deal with it just like you would an animal in the wild. Show them that beyond a doubt they just chose to attack the biggest, baddest, meanest kid on the block. Bad guys pretty much understand one thing universally: The instantaneous use of overwhelming force. BG's don't choose targets because they want to take on challenges in their life, they choose targets that they think will be an easy payoff. If you show them that they made a deadly mistake, you will gain the advantage.

Ok thats enough thoughts of mine for the moment.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    5. Keep more than one gun in your bedroom. No matter how anti-gun your spouse might be, I can just about guarantee you that if the time comes they will reconsider their position.

7. . . . Bad guys pretty much understand one thing universally: The instantaneous use of overwhelming force. . .
    Re.: #5. Yup, completely agree. Unfortunately she won't believe that bad things can happen in good neighborhoods.

Re.: #7. Truer words were rarely spoken. If there's gonna be an "Oh @$&% " moment, I want it to be by the other guy.

Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Links