Why Time Seems to Slow Down in Emergencies - Page 2

Why Time Seems to Slow Down in Emergencies

This is a discussion on Why Time Seems to Slow Down in Emergencies within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac Tachypsychia is very real. Don't get me wrong - your BODY doesn't move any faster. ...but your MIND sure does. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Time Seems to Slow Down in Emergencies

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Tachypsychia is very real.

Don't get me wrong - your BODY doesn't move any faster.

...but your MIND sure does.

Something about that experiment had to be wrong. For instance, was the "stopwatch" in a different place than the "threat"? You'll be naturally inclined to focus upon the threat, to the exclusion of nearly everything else. Maybe a BIG display underneath the net would have yielded different results.
    I agree. I felt an uncanny lethargy and almost a disconnect between my brain and my body in several life threatening situations. I was painfully aware of everything going on around me and I felt like I was under water, forcing my limbs to comply with my brains orders. In one instance I had a witness talk with me afterward and he thought I was unbelievably fast... I think it's an issue of perception.

Did the participants have a reason to believe they'd DIE? Did they see the net? If they did that's not going to be the same.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Anybody take pilot training?? The first time you go around and see that little runway, everything seems to happen too FAST.!!. You have the flaps, trim, throttle, wheels down, airspeed, attitude, altitude ... but after a few times you have lots of time to do things and it gets easy. The tac training is very much like this, everything comes at you too fast, gun pointing, threat, being zapped by those damn hard pellet thingies. But the more you practice, the more smooth it is, and you are a lot more accurate, actually the reverse of the above phenomenon. Is there a name for that??

Quote Originally Posted by bob21bobby View Post
    Anybody take pilot training?? The first time you go around and see that little runway, everything seems to happen too FAST.!!. You have the flaps, trim, throttle, wheels down, airspeed, attitude, altitude ... but after a few times you have lots of time to do things and it gets easy. The tac training is very much like this, everything comes at you too fast, gun pointing, threat, being zapped by those damn hard pellet thingies. But the more you practice, the more smooth it is, and you are a lot more accurate, actually the reverse of the above phenomenon. Is there a name for that??
    Exactly. The first time I took a shot from the damn pellet gun in a PRISiM tailer I couldn't believe how fast that lady had pulled a pistol out of her purse. I thought... there's no humanly possible way to react that fast. Well after that harsh dose of reality, I reacted much much faster to the next simulations.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

This has also happened to me a couple of times in my life. It's weired and really difficult to believe that time didn't slow down.

When I was in school (high school, I think freshman as I was riding the bus) was on the bus and at a stop, this is on a busy 2 lane road. We were waiting to turn on to the 2 lane but were waiting for a bus that was in front of us and stopped to let kids off, younger kids, grade school, maybe middle school. There bus left and the kids were on the otherside of the road when the traffic started to go again one kid darted out to cross the 2 lane and a car hit him, we seemed that we were all looking at him and I swear that when he was hit that is was in complete slow motion, he went into the air about 10 feet +/-and was spinning like a helicopter blade but super slow, finnaly coming down and hitting the pavement. It was weird.

Another time when I was in grade school the busses would line up in front and one kid some how got off the side walk while a bus was moving towards the front maybe going 10 or 15 mph and the opposite happens where the kid was thrown buy the bus and it happened very fast and maybe went 10 - 20 feet. I was in grade school so what I thought was far may not have been that far, but it seemed as if it threw him into the building or really close to it. That was weird too.

All my stuff is school related, go figure.

I used to be afraid of bleachers when I was a kid thinking I would or could fall to the bottom like in big stadiums or football stadiums. It used to freak me out. Even had nightmares about it. Anyway, my dad was a teacher for 35 years and he would also coach the basket ball team. At the end of one of the games we were cleaning up and several people were pushing the bleachers back in against the wall and a friend and I were playing on the top of basically a wall of bleachers now and my worst fear actually happened, I freakin fell, my foot got caught in the bleacher and it was pretty high maybe 15-20 feet up, that was high for my age maybe 8 or 9 and when it happened I remember saying, oh no, I can't believe I just did that and my eyes got real big because I knew I was dead for sure as I was falling.

Well everything slowed down tremendously, the floor became much farther away from me, I am guessing tunnel vision, I don't know? But it then looked like I was even falling from that much higher up and back then thought that if I hit the floor I was going to be dead for whatever reason so i was scared, scared.

Just before I hit I clinched up real tight, closed my eyes because the floor was coming and the strange thing is when I hit the floor I didn't feel it, I didn't hear it, I didn't know it, nothing and actually think I blacked out just before hitting because I was so scared and knew my dad was going to be pissed because I was doing what I wasn't supposed to be doing and killed myself doing it.

Well, after my dad and a couple other teachers turned me over and I came to, I got up, looked myself over real good thinking there has to be something wrong with me, am I dead? Do i have broken bones? something has to be wrong after that. Turns out I was just fine with not a scratch, not anything. I have no idea how I made it through without major injury but I did and the way it happened was even crazier.

I thought I was going to get the beating of my life when I got home, but my dad saw the whole thing and I guess it scared him so bad he thought best if I continued with my luck.

Well, those are the times in my life something like that has happened. Thing is, only once was it directly related to me with the bleacher incident.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator
    Interesting post Ti Carry
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yea, I don't think I have ever recounted and told the bleacher accident story before other than to my family, we have my dad's version that he saw and my version that I was living/seing. At family functions sometimes I still get ribbed about it but something I left out was I actually pissed my pants cause I guess I was so scared as that was a big fear of mine back then which probably added to the strage way I fell and what I was seeing or I thought I was seeing. I was only up there with my friend cause I didn't want him to think I was a puss I guess but that fall is something I will never forget.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links