Distanced encounter - just a thought. - Page 2

Distanced encounter - just a thought.

This is a discussion on Distanced encounter - just a thought. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by P95Carry ...it is I admit far fetched but - who knows ever what might go down and so - always interesting to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ...it is I admit far fetched but - who knows ever what might go down and so - always interesting to explore just what we might do and what options folks see.
    P95Carry,
    I don't think it's far fetched and never did. A number of years ago, right here in little ole Tennessee, we had three guys riding four wheelers out in the woods (boonies) murdered. When their four wheelers were found, one had, IIRC, a .44 magnum handgun still in a compartment on the four wheeler.

Then not so long wasn't it four hunters that were killed by another hunter over a tree stand or something like that?

Then even more recently there was the case where an armed citizen with a handgun went up against a man with a rifle, Texas IIRC, and was killed; but in the process, at least one LE authority said the civilian clearly saved the lives of others. Undoubtedly, he had to decide between pedal to the metal or stay and fight.

John 15:13-14
    13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
    NIV

Getting beside one of the front tires and staying low might provide you temporary cover if you were lined up right. I doubt most rounds would make it through both fenders AND the engine block.

He might work his way around to get a cleaner shot though.

I train for this and am still looking for that "long range" carry gun. Right now I have very good range with a Taurus PT-111. Some of you might laugh at that but the one time I NEEDED to stop a threat it took one shot at around 30 feet from the PT111 and the threat was down. Impact was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from where I wanted it. - Not bad. I realize that there was some luck there but it still gives me confidence in my PT-111.

30 feet isn't much in this situation but I feel I can go a bit farther. If he is in MY range I don't care if he has a pistol or a long gun. Either one can do me in although I guess that long gun does have better odds.

I JUST started experimenting with a Ruger P345 and this looks promising. I will keep trying to push my range out there for situations like this however.

Assistant Administrator
    One thing I did learn from way back when I shot long range handgun (100 and 300 yds) - was some sorta ''feel'' for how much allowance to give - that was using .44 in a stiff 44 spl load - hotter than say std 9mm or even 45acp but - I reckon regular practice at 25 yards anyways is good for anyone (PPC is good for that) - and also even some 50 yard shooting too - certainly good to know the limits with a carry piece.

Could say too - we might at least expend a magful as pure suppressive fire while making for better cover - as long of course as we have some idea where shot #1 came from - and we have reloads!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ...Could say too - we might at least expend a magful as pure suppressive fire while making for better cover - as long of course as we have some idea where shot #1 came from - and we have reloads!!
    I agree with suppressive fire as a tool. No, it may not be the best tool in the "box", but it may be the best tool for certain situations. That's one reason I prefer 9mm to .45 - the 9's have much higher round counts in the gun. Well, they shoot a bit flatter too, speaking of longer ranges. I sure don't want to get into a 9 vs 45 or bigger is better or more is better - sometimes bigger is better, but sometimes more is better. It all depends on the situation.

Definately burn rubber and get out of Dodge, flat tires still go, rims and rubber are cheap. That said I have fired my HK USP with Wolfs at over 300 yes that is 300 yards in Az where I could see where they were hitting, with 12 rounds I was able to zero in to a 6' area no problem, who knows how much energy was left but I bet it would smart real bad if you were hit with one. Here in Mi though anything more than 150 yards unless they are in a tall building just would not happen, too much junk in the way.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links