Your first shot is a squib!!!

This is a discussion on Your first shot is a squib!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check out the vid clips, from Paul Castle's Sabre Tac. Training- FTF, followed by FTC (failure to clear), followed by clubbing the target.(The "Reaction" pic) ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first shot is a squib!!!

Check out the vid clips, from Paul Castle's Sabre Tac. Training- FTF, followed by FTC (failure to clear), followed by clubbing the target.(The "Reaction" pic)
    http://www.sabretactical.com/C_A_R_/c_a_r_.html
    Works for me! The main reason I sold my Glocks & now have "real-steel"- a grown man can "flex" the slide off a Glock, with serious pounding. You may bend your 1911 or BHP, but you won't be stuck holding a 4oz frame, trying to fend someone off. :chairshot

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Check out the vid clips, from Paul Castle's Sabre Tac. Training- FTF, followed by FTC (failure to clear), followed by clubbing the target.

Works for me! The main reason I sold my Glocks & now have "real-steel"- a grown man can "flex" the slide off a Glock, with serious pounding. You may bend your 1911 or BHP, but you won't be stuck holding a 4oz frame, trying to fend someone off. :chairshot
    I'm really, really, hoping rfurtkamp is correct, "You've got a Sig. They passed the military testing for handling squib loads. Fire again.". That's what I'd want to do. I'm not too keen on using the gun as an impact weapon with an assailant or assailants that are younger, stronger, tougher, and faster than me. There seem to be more guys like that every year.

With an auto, if you attempt to fire a second round and the barrel bulges, that's it. The slide can no longer reciprocate with a bulged barrel.
    This scenario is an excellent argument for a back-up gun, and is one of the reasons I carry a BUG every day.
    www.rangemaster.com
    Training for the real world.

Administrator

Tom Givens

That is True. What if the bulge were just forward of the chamber?
    And if you could somehow get another round in the chamber & shot that then the bulge would blow the barrel bushing right out of the front of the slide & then FOR SURE that would be it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    I'm all for BUGs, but I think the times will be rare, especially for a civilian, that a BUG would make a difference. I readily admit the advantage of a BUG is situational dependent, but it seems to me that if the main gun goes poof when we needed it to go bang, the fight is just about over. We just lost most of any advantage we had.

In order for a BUG to "carry the day" a whole bunch of stuff has to go our way. First, since our main gun just went poof, we would have to immediately recognize that the gun didn't do something right. Then we have to decide whether to do an immediate response drill or discard the gun and go for the BUG. Either, likely takes more time than we have.

I think once we realize the gun went poof, if we're still alive, it may be better to make distance and time by escaping, HTH attack, or use the gun as an impact weapon to gain some time/position advantage, then we might can grab the BUG.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, BUGs are a problem for me to carry, although I strongly believe in them.

Assistant Administrator
    You've got a Sig. They passed the military testing for handling squib loads.
    Robert - sounds good - but does this just mean the barrel is tough enough to not seriously bulge if fired again or are they saying that shot #2 WILL clear bullet #1 and both will exit??

I ain't gonna do a test on MY SIG but - got any data on this - I am intrigued.

Some may have seen this pic - I guess it is a sectioned barrel from a sub gun but - sure has formed a ''queue''!!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I know that when the military was testing for some of the Socom pistols, one of the requirements was that the barrel survive (and not bulge) in the event of a squib for X number of incidents. The HK bulged but continued to function, the Sig submitted survived several without bulge or loss of function before they quit testing. My understanding is that bullet #2 clears #1, but I may be mistaken in my recollection.

That said, if things hit that badly that you've got one as the first out of the pipe, I'm going to keep pulling the trigger if there's no BUG.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

HK and Sig will clear and function, after a squib. Glock 9mm's probably will. The barrels are hard enough not to bulge too much (unless you shoot something really hot, and something about your weapon holds the breech closed longer than average).

95, re that MP-5 barrel. Someone's looking for a new set of rollers! (okay, maybe only the HK geeks will get that one.....)

Administrator

Squib Addition

I believe that the GLOCK FireDragon replacement barrels were also privately tested & they will withstand squib loads.
    I was trying to find that PDF file again on the web but, I'm running out of search options & keywords.
    It was a few years ago & maybe the page just is not there anymore.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    rack,tap,bang drill. First rule of a firefight, don't give up.

Administrator

An Interesting Web Page

A Good After Dinner Read
    CLICK HERE

I don't expect to be shooting the gun in matches after a squib and a clear, let me tell you - but truthfully, I'm not horribly paranoid about it.

Bad reloads or a bad factory shell in the massive over-pressure range are going to make the day worse than any squib, and even then it's going to depend on the handgun and what sort of mishap occurs.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I had a squib once

It was not too long ago. I was firing some sort of cheap russian ammo (I was shooting a makarov, and those rounds are not as ubiquitous as others). I did not notice that there was a squib round. The first time I had noticed a problem was when the slide would not cycle. It required a screwdriver and some leverage to clear the round.
    I usually carry my 1911, sometimes I substitute or add a smith 5-shot revolver. I do not know how the 1911 would handle a squib, but I would conduct an immediate action drill when the expected BANG became an unexpected CLICK. If the gun is as hosed as my Makarov was, then POOF!; you have a paperweight to defend yourself with...act accordingly.

Anyway, here's a shameless plug for my blog with the entry describing the event.
    http://bloodletting.blog-city.com/wh...l_was_that.htm
    "You are what you do when it counts."
    "The secret to long life...is gunsights!"
    Bloodletting

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I know that when the military was testing for some of the Socom pistols, one of the requirements was that the barrel survive (and not bulge) in the event of a squib for X number of incidents. The HK bulged but continued to function, the Sig submitted survived several without bulge or loss of function before they quit testing. My understanding is that bullet #2 clears #1, but I may be mistaken in my recollection.

That said, if things hit that badly that you've got one as the first out of the pipe, I'm going to keep pulling the trigger if there's no BUG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    HK and Sig will clear and function, after a squib. Glock 9mm's probably will. The barrels are hard enough not to bulge too much (unless you shoot something really hot, and something about your weapon holds the breech closed longer than average).
    If you two are right, and I'm not saying you aren't; I'm hoping you are, but if you are, that makes the original scenario much simpler. IF you have a Sig or H&K and have a squib, the tap, rack, and BANG immediate action drill should correct the problem, send two rounds down range, and the Sig or H&K will be ready for necessary follow up shots. For me, that's a BIG PLUS for Sig and H&K.

Are you guys sure about the Sig and H&K squib survival thing? You're not just gettin' my hopes all built up are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Are you guys sure about the Sig and H&K squib survival thing? You're not just gettin' my hopes all built up are you?
    I know that the HK did this in trials. As a matter of fact, I believe the Mk23's groups actually pulled in after the bulgie. Basic truth: a squib with a good auto is far better than a squib with a good revolver. I've never heard of a "double-fired" revolver surviving intact- the force usuall seperates crane/frame/barrel/and/or the hood, always with more than a "tingling hand" for the shooter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links