Your first shot is a squib!!!

This is a discussion on Your first shot is a squib!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK - law of averages - factory ammo and squib - VERY unlikely. Almost impossible. I however have had contact over the years with Mr ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first shot is a squib!!!

Assistant Administrator

Your first shot is a squib!!!

OK - law of averages - factory ammo and squib - VERY unlikely. Almost impossible.

I however have had contact over the years with Mr Murphy - and know that his plan is to screw up anything you do - to the max

Let us assume - for discussion' sake - that your first (defensive) shot thru a semi - is a squib and you do actually realize it. You do not (again thx to Murphy) have a BUG this day.

WTH do you do??? In my book I am screwed, royally!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On reflection - no better off if in a revo!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Yep you screwed.. Course you could rack it hope it chambers and take the chance of shooting it and hope it shoots the first bullet out ... course guns gonna blow up at that point..

Or unless you are suign tactile tupperware you can turn it grab muzzle and pistol whip the bad gun ... Only choices

other than run like heck screaming like a little Girl

Assistant Administrator
    screaming like a little Girl
    Hahaha - yep - only option maybe - psyche out the BG long enough to get the heck outa Dodge! LOL
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well if I've presented a firearm and fired it, odds are excellent that it's either him or me and there's no escape.

I go after him with my knife or my bare hands even though I may be in for some hurting, because if I don't try I have no chance at all.

Administrator

Question Hummmmmmmmmm...????

You done went and dooed it to me.

I guess doing a lightning fast "field strip" & knocking that bullet through the barrel with a Bic Pen...is absolutely out of the question?

Seriously...With a Colt 1911 ~ I would take careful aim and shoot again & (come what may) risk the "kaboom" & likely bulged barrel.
    After that (I guess) - I would just get ready to use whatever remains of that pistol as an emergency club.

Once Again.......GOOD THREAD! P95Carry!

Senior Moderator
    I'd shoot the sucker.

Ive seen too many squibs that did nothing more than bulge the barrel. Some of them werent even noticable unless you help it up against the light. Others have a noticable bulge but it seems not to affect the accuracy at all.

Of course you could trash the barrel and the gun. If I'm in the postition where I'm drawing and firing on someone, a broke gun will be the least of my worries. Im taking the chance that he's gonna get hit with 2 bullets from the same shot instead of one. What have ya got to lose ?

Administrator

I'm 100% With HotGuns

I'll take the possible metal fragments al la numb hand.
    And if you live through the encounter then you have great kaboom photos to post on the web.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Having had men on the business end of a firearm in the past, I believe I would only notice a failure to fire. Do the drill and fire again. I could only hope that the firing of the gun gives the BG some pause. If we have come to that point, are toe to toe and the gun doesn't continue going bang it's a rock or club anyway.

-Scott-

1952 - 2006
    I, in fact had a hang fire the other day during a match, using factory Magtech ammo. Not a squib load mind you, but a failure to fire none-the-less with factory ammo. I took the offending round off to another bay after the course of fire was complete and hit it 3 more time with no effect, just a dead round of ammo.
    I contacted Magtech and was told they would explore the ammo lot and get back to me, but so far I have heard nothing.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Let us assume - for discussion' sake - that your first (defensive) shot thru a semi - is a squib and you do actually realize it. You do not (again thx to Murphy) have a BUG this day.

WTH do you do??? In my book I am screwed, royally!!
    You've got a Sig. They passed the military testing for handling squib loads.

Fire again.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

You know this thread made me think of something. I have no idea how any of my guns would react if I fired after a squib therefore I simply assumed they would not function if that happened. I have no clue if there's any kind of testing or rating for them in this regard.

Shame on me I don't know my weapons.

I'd RTB because in a gunfight you can't hear a squib remember? Auditory exclusion and all, not to mention having to use your elbow to pull the trigger because your "fine" motor skills are now gone.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    You've got a Sig. They passed the military testing for handling squib loads.

Fire again.
    That's news (good news!) to me, could/would you elaborate on that just a bit? I.e. what caliber, what guns, how'd they test for that?

And I guess you're going to tell us not to try this test at home???

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tangle; August 2nd, 2005 at 10:40 AM.

VIP Member
    I'm not sure I'd notice a squib at all in the heat of the situation, or even if I did, my finger would've pulled the trigger again by that time anyway.

I figure if it kabooms and it didn't scare the heck outta the bad guy, I'd have a nice splintery bludgeoning tool to use on him (if I have hands left to wield it with)!

I'd like to know more about the military testing with squibs, too.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

In reality, I'd probably miss the fact that it was a squib and only notice that I didn't get the desired result. I'd probably do a tap-rack drill and fire again, if I thought I had the time and space; otherwise, I'd probably be shifting to my next layer of defense.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links