Safe to try to use gun?

Safe to try to use gun?

This is a discussion on Safe to try to use gun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It might be a "common" situation to have a perp demand your wallet at knifepoint. I know a lot of people carry at 4:00...and I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safe to try to use gun?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Safe to try to use gun?

It might be a "common" situation to have a perp demand your wallet at knifepoint. I know a lot of people carry at 4:00...and I am one of them. If the perp doesn't know you are carrying, and you are in a state where it would be legal to use deadly force:

A.) Give up your wallet, return home with your life

B.) Turn right side slightly away from perp, unholster gun, but make it look like going for wallet, quickly shoot perp

C.) Other?

Just curious what y'all think is a wise choice.

Assistant Administrator
    Knifepoint is potentially a totally lethal threat situation - you could well fear for your life. Who is to say the perp' will not use that knife.

The immediate reaction IMO should be - make space/distance ... fast. Essential. Then be able to reach and draw - this might in itself be enough to have him cut and run ... but if the threat persists at all then again, IMO - game on and we take measures to reduce/negate that threat.

Beyond this - ''play it as you see it'' - always a boatload of variables.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What wallet? It is Christmas time and between the wife and kids there is nothing in my wallet!

Shoot the BG.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Administrator
    A lot depends on your skill and the BG's skill and if he is willing to strike. A lot of people think they can be John Wayne, but can you really? I have my doubts that I would be able to pull it off without creating more time and distance for myself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I hear "Wallet!" and see a weapon...things are going to happen very quickly...I am going to apply some ventilation therapy to the BG. I would hope that being cognizant of my surroundings will aid my ability to get a head start... There are no guarantees in life!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That is precisely why I carry a BUG and a few dollars in cash in the same pocket. I can show my wallet and prove that it isn't big enough to hold any money. Likely the turd saw me remove and put money in that pocket so my reaching in that pocket shouldn't raise too much concern for him. That is until he sees a little piece of stainless steel and then a flash of fire.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Personally, I have a 'zone'. All intruders that come into the 'zone' are suspect. If a BG is facing me, and I see a knife, words would fall on deaf ears. If he's still facing me when all three dots are covering his eyes and mouth----so be it. The next time I reach for my wallet would be to retrieve my driver's license and permit for the officer taking the report.

Depends on the exact situation. Distance from perp, am I alone or with family, is perp alone, what's behind the perp, perp's demeanor, etc. No one size fits all answer here, but a "throwaway" wallet with a couple bucks and no ID could come in handy for this kind of situation.
    Drop it on the ground and back away while preparing to draw. Keep all options (and your eyes) open.

Ron

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I like the throwaway wallet idea.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Or throw it in his face while you step back/side and draw.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Cool

How can I put this into todays vernacular.........pop a cap in him!!!!
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I like the throwaway wallet idea.
    I do too, but dang. I mean I'm already carrying a firearm, two folders ( dont take up too much room) cell,and my super slim wallet(had to get one b/c larger one gets on my nerves). I don't see how y'all do it. My pockets are full.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    Do they make a flash-bang shaped like a wallet?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Fake wallet works as well. Keep your real wallet in a secure location, i.e. inside a coat pocket etc... and keep your fake wallet, with a few fake credit cards (like the ones they send you in the mail as an example) and some fake cash that you could buy at the dollar store. Or even print out a few of the novelty million dollar bills from the net. Maybe even add a sarcastic note saying this was a fake wallet, your lucky you didn't get shot, get a job etc.... Give him that, then dash. No one is hurt, you still have all your real wallet and the BG is the fool.

Obviously dependent on the exact situation, but my inclination would be to shoot the SOB and try my best to rid society of him (I mean, remove the immediate threat to my life ).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links