Home security measures

This is a discussion on Home security measures within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I'm a new dad and the baby's room is across the house from my bedroom I'm building a big heavy bookshelf to cover a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home security measures

New baby

Since I'm a new dad and the baby's room is across the house from my bedroom I'm building a big heavy bookshelf to cover a large part of one of the walls of his room. Strategic placement of his crib will put a heavy piece of furniture and several layers of books between us should (God Forbid) anything be fired toward his direction. Besides, maybe he'll read a lot and get smart. My room is set up with a heavy bookshelf, solid wood bed frame, and a gun safe as cover between the bedroom and the rest of the house. Management of real cover in your house is not hard to do.

I found that a level II vest will also hang over the crib rail and is totally hidden by the fancy quilted blanket hanging over it... Did I mention I'm a NEW dad?

Also installing a camera system for the house, recorder hidden in a false ceiling in a closet. For now, baby monitor makes a good surveilance system, and I don't sleep more that 3 hours in a row anyway

2. Remove Ads

Some interesting setups y'all got. I just lock my doors and keep the guns loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    ShatterGuard or other similar security film over lower-story windows. If the glass is broken, the pieces remain intact. It wouldn't STOP someone, but it would make entrance via a window a much harder and louder affair. Google it for more info.
    looks very interesting, thanks for bringing this up. do you have this? cost?? I like their claims on the website... wonder if there is any difference between the storm shield, burglar shield, shatter shield, etc.

I've got an 800 foot long drive way that leaves us with only one way in or out. On the front entrance there is a "beware of dog" sign and I've got quite active Australian Sheppard that does not like strangers. My wife works night shift at the Air Force base and I come and go at different times during the day so that a crook never knows when I might be coming home or be at home. I never go anywhere without carrying my gun and always carry at home. There have been quite a few houses in our county that have been broken into and I do what I can to not be a victim. I also have a camera pointing on the north side of our house where there are no windows. (I freaked my wife out one day while setting in a friends truck with dark windows that unknown to her had given me a ride home and she met us with her S&W 649 in her pocket) I was so proud but after that she wanted to be able to watch the barn door and north side of the house without going outside. Some one would have to be pretty bold to rob our house not knowing when I might be coming home and that there is no way out except past me coming down the drive way. My next door neighbor 1000' away is also good at watching out place. Most of my weapons in our safes are loaded and I always spin the dial on my way out the door. When home I usually keep the safes open as for one reason or another even though I keep a loaded gun on my person while home I want access to loaded longer range guns if needed. (for the occasional rabid skunk, feral dog/cat or two legged wolf/bad guy)

Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

If money is not an issue... for the baby/children/spouse:

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Ballistic-Blankets.shtml
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    ShatterGuard or other similar security film over lower-story windows. If the glass is broken, the pieces remain intact. It wouldn't STOP someone, but it would make entrance via a window a much harder and louder affair. Google it for more info.
    Also, if you are building, or replacing your windows anyway, you can get laminated glass windows.

-john

Always remember that if it can be built, it can be defeated.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

150' country driveway with a 30 slope. Most people are out of breath when they get to the house.

The thing people with long driveways sometimes forget, if you are home, often you can see someone coming from a long way away, if THEY are home, they can see you returning from a long way away :)

200' drive and motion lights plus floods accesible from throughout house. From my K-9 days, I still have "Warning - Police Work Dogs" sign on my fences. Everyone that visits notices them.

Oh yeah, the Rottweiler helps a little.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

chain link fence
    65 pound god in the back yard
    nosy old busybody neighbors all around god bless 'em
    cameras
    cellular link security system

ME
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links