Home security measures

Home security measures

This is a discussion on Home security measures within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What creative measures have some of you gone to in order to secure your home? We already have a dog, an alarm system (that gets ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home security measures

Home security measures

What creative measures have some of you gone to in order to secure your home? We already have a dog, an alarm system (that gets used!), and the obligatory scatter gun, as well as pad locks on the fence gates.

Beyond that, what's out there that's innovative or something cool that you've done at your place?

Don't forget lots and lots of light. I use motion lights around my house.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

We have a street lamp right in our front yard. Not the best selling point, but worth it for those folks who want the security.

don't have this, but thought it was cool. it is a bit pricey, and the 40-bit RFID encryption worries me a bit. although your average joe thief may not know how to hack 40-bit RFID, to the thief with the right skills this would make their job much easier. there is a rumor of an upgraded version coming soon...

http://www.mykey2300.com/

"The first thing you have to do is disarm the people. A disarmed public can't fight back" -- Adolf Hitler

VIP Member
    Motion sensing outdoor lights?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by error4o4 View Post
    don't have this, but thought it was cool. it is a bit pricey, and the 40-bit RFID encryption worries me a bit. although your average joe thief may not know how to hack 40-bit RFID, to the thief with the right skills this would make their job much easier. there is a rumor of an upgraded version coming soon...

Along those lines, I've had my eye on the Videx CyberLock products.

While I don't think it necessarily makes things more secure -- I think more burglars overpower the door locks or break a window, etc., I do think that the CyberLock has some cool advantages...

1) No need to re-key. You can give workers, visitors a key and they can't copy it. Also, if a key is lost/not returned, simply deactivate that key from the system.

2) It seems it could be real handy if you converted all your locks. One key opens everything. You could put that on a chain around your neck or something. No excuses not to lock things because of needing a big keychain or trying to find which key you need.

-john

VIP Member
    One nice, attactive, and handy way to protect windows is to plant thorny bushes such as roses beneath each one. There are plenty of shrubs with thorns to choose from, or shrubs that form thick tangles of intertwined branches with lots of sharp ends and edges.

It isn't fool proof, but it will slow 'em down and make them think about a different entry point.

In my short time here I've already seen several threads like this, but I'll chip in my tips anyway....

ShatterGuard or other similar security film over lower-story windows. If the glass is broken, the pieces remain intact. It wouldn't STOP someone, but it would make entrance via a window a much harder and louder affair. Google it for more info.

Reinforced doors and door jambs. At the very least, security plates that cover the locks (so they can't be "carded"), dead-bolts on each door, bigass screws in the hinges (to "bite" into the wall better), heavy duty hinges, etc...

As previously posted, motion detector lights. I like the high-wattage halogen type, and employ them on each side of the house. Deer and raccoons set them off sometimes, but it's not too bad.

Security cameras. I love my setup. Prices are really coming down, I saw a 5-pack of wireless security cams for $200 recently. It serves as a motion detection device also.

Driveway alarm? I'm working on one soon.

I've considered some of these: http://www.defensedevices.com/shotgu...m-signal1.html
    It's a tripwire-activated perimeter alarm that uses a 12 gauge cartridge (I assume it's a blank... anything else would be a serious liability) to alert you to an intruder's presence. Putting these in strategic locations (such as on either side of the driveway gate, in case someone went around it on foot) would be quite effective. I'd wager it would have a serious deterrent factor....

The objective of modern home defense, unless you have lots of attack-trained dogs or a 12 ft electric fence, is to make the BG's job of getting into your home a difficult, loud one - waking you up and giving you enough time to greet the threat with ultimate force if necessary.
    You can't keep them out. At least, not without a SERIOUS budget. So slow down their progress and put obstacles in their path that will make lots of noise to alert you to their presence, electronically or otherwise.
    Just my 0.02 (But I'm telling you, it should be worth more with inflation these days....)
    Merry Christmas.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Last edited by Pete Zaria; December 24th, 2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Fixed link. Oops.

Very basic setup here...just the regular 'bark and click'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

New house sits 500 yards off the county road and can not be seen, 4th of 5 on a private road, BG has to drive past 3 other houses on a 1 lane dead end road through the woods and neighbors all have a "mutual defense agreement" and know what vehicles should be on the road. Not many BGs want to be on a deadend woods road surrounded by Missouri rednecks. The next closest road is a tad over a mile away to the rear, also a private road leading to a big shot millionaire CEOs "estate" whch butts up to my rear property line, and he has professional security.

I have solar powered motion activated spot lights around the house and a driveway alarm positioned so it is not seen on the approch and with the woods can not be driven around. Then the sliding glass doors and ground level windows are all made with "hurrucane glass" that can't be smashed. The extrior steel doors all have hardened steal recepticals for the deadbolts secured with 4 hardened 6" screws.

Then of course there is the obligitory arsanal waiting any dumb @ that gets inside while I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by error4o4 View Post

These are pretty cool. I figure any thief that can crack one of these wouldn't be caught dead in my neighborhood...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Motion sensing outdoor lights?
    Yes, I use them at my front and back doors. They are brass lights but they are motion activated. Works really well. Also, we have floodlights at the four corners of the house and a security light in the side yard. Live out in the country so no other lights around to help out with things.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I have 3 stages to my home security.
    Stage I-- Keep out BG's
    Barred Windows, Flood Lights that are motion activated, security cameras... all the basics.
    Stage II-- Keep me safe incase of TEOTWAWKI
    Clay more mines set up in the yard, .45 ACP AND a 12Ga in every room. 100k+ rounds of 7.62 and pull down metal screens over the inside of the windors and doors.
    Stage III-- Post TEOTWAWKI (aka Zombies)
    800 lbs of MRE's and an extra cache of 1mil round including 12ga, .45acp, and 7.62mm 45 kilos of C4, and approx 700 hand grenades. 2 cb radios and a truck that is fully armored.

Seriously.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Stage I-- Keep out BG's
    Barred Windows, Flood Lights that are motion activated, security cameras... all the basics.
    Clay more mines set up in the yard, .45 ACP AND a 12Ga in every room. 100k+ rounds of 7.62 and pull down metal screens over the inside of the windors and doors.
    800 lbs of MRE's and an extra cache of 1mil round including 12ga, .45acp, and 7.62mm 45 kilos of C4, and approx 700 hand grenades. 2 cb radios and a truck that is fully armored.

Seriously.

You're welcome to move next door to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Stage I-- Keep out BG's

Seriously.
    You must live in Iraq...

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links