Let's talk about when to shoot someone in the back...

This is a discussion on Let's talk about when to shoot someone in the back... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All too often I think that people get scenarios stuck in their mind of when they will and will not shoot. They say things like, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's talk about when to shoot someone in the back...

Senior Moderator
    All too often I think that people get scenarios stuck in their mind of when they will and will not shoot.

They say things like, "If the BG is on the ground he's no longer a threat so I have to stop shooting," or "If he's running away I won't shoot."

Well, the fact of the matter is that someone can very well still be a threat even if they are running away, on the ground, hanging from the rafters like a bat or jumping up and down on a trampoline. Just because they are in a certain "position" does not make them any less of a threat.

A threat is a threat until it is ceases to be a threat and the position of their body should not be the indicator that they are no longer seeking to do harm.

Someone can be laying on the ground and shooting a gun. They can be up in a tree and they very well can be running to cover and still shooting. The difference, of course, being that they don't care who they hit and you do. And if they are running away and still shooting you would still be aiming for center mass, still fire and probably hit them in the back.

2. Remove Ads

I'm thinking that every situation is going to be different. I hope I have the clarity of mind to act appropriately if the time should come. Just this morning I found myself thinking of how safe my home neighborhood is yet, I then was struck with and remembered the unsolved murders that occurred nearby. They were home invasion style and horrendous.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    If I wholeheartedly felt that they were running to gain a tactical advantage on me or to do harm to others in my house i.e. upstairs to shoot my kids, yes I would shoot them in the back to stop them.

While on duty, I plugged one in the back. HOWEVER, he was shooting over his shoulder while running away. No internal investigations needed.

if a BG that's posed such a threat that i fear for my life and am shooting him turns to run, it in no way, shape, or form lessens my fear. i have no way of telling if he's maneuvering for cover to fire back at me, or running away. better safe than sorry.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

The only time to shoot someone in the back would be when they are imminently endangering someone else who is apparently defenseless. As you are not the one immediately in danger, likely the courts will decide your outcome after such an incident. You'd actually be fearing for someone else's life and not your own. Very tricky. If that someone else that is in danger is your immediate family, then by all means shoot them in the back to prevent the attack. Personally, I'd rather take my chances in court than to have a hostage situation on my hands at the time with one of my loved ones or an innocent bystander.

VIP Member
    As an non law enforcement person I can honestly say that if I do ever get into a shooting situation all of the following will be 100% true:
    1. I will certainly be afraid for my life.
    2. I will empty the gun into the bad guy(S). Front, back or side.
    3. Lastly I will be able to look LEO and/or jury in the eye and say "Holy crap I was scared, and things were happening fast, and I just kept shooting until they were down!"

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    There was a case in the Tampa Bay area where a store owner chased down a fleeing robber in his van. (the store owners van. The robber was on foot) He caught up with the guy and nailed him. Broke his legs, IIRC.
    He went to trial and I thought for sure he'd be convicted, since the robber no longer presented a threat to his life. WRONG! The jury found in his favor. Thank goodness for common sense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links