Living in Fear?

This is a discussion on Living in Fear? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thought just crossed my mind when I was reading another thread. If you are safe in your house and you know it, but going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in Fear?

Living in Fear?

This thought just crossed my mind when I was reading another thread.

If you are safe in your house and you know it, but going outside could get you shot (on your own property) - do you have a duty to stay inside and avoid confrontation?

Similarly, if you are camping in the woods at night, and there are illegal pot fields/illegal immigrant transfers/what-have-you's in the area, and turning on a light or making a loud noise could possibly draw their attention to you - possibly leading to conflict - should you keep quiet/dark and avoid possible conflict? What if its on your own land?

Austin

2. Remove Ads

My thoughts on this is that you have a responsability to yourself to avoid confrontation. This is my take on how I do things CONUS. That's inside the Continental United States. I am a trained combat arms soldier and am aggressive - but not outside of the place where I need to be or should be.

I have a responablity to avoid places where it is highly likely that there could be a problem. Certain parts of town at certain times (some of which are all the time). Places where I could put people with me in danger. I do not have any reason to go looking for trouble, lord knows the government finds enough of that overseas for me.

This is a REASONABLE responsability though. I should be able to reasonably walk outside of my own home, go shopping for a book at the mall, or have a picnic at the park. I think that is the most important part of the equation here.

That being said, my training says that turning away from a activly agressive killer is a good way to be shot in the back. Now while I won't be "removing my back plate" I also know that training dictates to engage the threat if its possible as backing away is just as dangerous - all of this being what we call METT-TC dependent. Mission Equipment Time Terrain - Troops Civilians (bear with me I think I put the T's out of order lol).

Here in the US my mission is to obey the law and protect myself and my immediatl familiy. My equipment for that is a concealed sidearm, flashlight, cellphone and a few other things such as OC spray. Time - well folks I was once asked how long do you have to get out of a minefield? Answer: The rest of your life. Terrain - mostly any urban enviroment that one can imagine. It won't be anything specific that we can point out ahead of time, but what happens when we are out and about. Troops - there aren't any other than non combatant people I am responsable to get out of the zone. Civilians - all those sheeple that are going to scream and stand there staring (which seems to happen alot more than taking off running in the first early moments and minutes) and who I have a small responability to due to my oaths as a officer in the army to defend through the constitutional responsablities that I have accepted.

All that being said (whew, sorry about being long winded, this is just something that I have actually thought alot about and thought perhaps I could lend something to the conversation) the most important thing is to be responsable in one's actions, and to let the police do their jobs. I don't want them butting into a firefight or presence patrol over in Afghanistan or Iraq, and I don't want to bother them where they are trained and experienced - keeping me and mine safe here at home.

Aus I appologize if that was alot more mouth than I should have expended on the target.

Senior Moderator
    If you are safe in your house and you know it, but going outside could get you shot (on your own property) - do you have a duty to stay inside and avoid confrontation?
    Since I have a legal interest in my property,I will not be held hostage to someone that is there illegally. Yes it may get me shot...but it is my property and my responsibility to take care of the problem.

We'll leave the hand rubbing and fear of living to the liberals to and let someone else bail their hippy butts out.

Similarly, if you are camping in the woods at night, and there are illegal pot fields/illegal immigrant transfers/what-have-you's in the area, and turning on a light or making a loud noise could possibly draw their attention to you - possibly leading to conflict - should you keep quiet/dark and avoid possible conflict?
    If you are scared,or unsure of the potential dangers,then you don't need to be there. You need to find a different spot to camp.

What if its on your own land?
    If its on my own land there will be hell to pay. I refuse to stand idly by and watch illegal activities tale place or flourish on my land. Of course, I have the option of calling in the calvary, unlike most people. That would include any and every ready, willing,able and very heavily armed LEO in the county at my disposal. Any conflict would be resolved...one way of the other. I will ethier WIN that conflict or be dead. Its as simple as that.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Any specific duty I feel is to myself and my family, to the extent that I believe I should continue to be around for my own life and theirs. Beyond that, my duty is assumed only to the degree I feel a responsibility to others outside that circle.

But, "duty" as in a proscribed required set of steps that must be followed based on certain circumstances? Jeez, no. I'm a citizen living free in my own country. I see no reason for conflict. I have no duty to avoid going about my business. There is no legal demand on me to specifically avoid basic, everyday situations, nor even take particular actions prior to defending myself if such situations go sideways on me during the normal, lawful course of my day's activities. There is no legal requirement that I first withdraw or run from trouble, though I might well take that avenue if it's tactically the smartest move.

That said, I certainly do make certain minor adjustments in order to avoid the riskiest candidate areas of town, times of day, specific locations or businesses I dislike or fear might well hold trouble, and so on. I also occasionally make minor adjustments based on what I see in a specific place, or because of a specific person or group of people that strike me as risky. Beyond that, I simply keep the "radar" on high and go about my business. I won't take stupid steps knowingly, but then I also won't be deterred by those who wish to take a harder road. Some situations may require involvement of police or other emergency/cleanup personnel, which have their place and even may be the preferred choice as a first responder, even on my own property (depending).

In terms of basic guidelines, these work for me. Specifics will vary by situation.

YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Depends on your state I suppose. I think in MI I'd be covered by our castle law that says I have no duty to retreat not only at home, but ANY PLACE that I have a legal right to be. Might be different than going to a place of known danger, but I don't think so. Besides, If the danger is right outide, I don't think I'm necessarily safe in my home then. That said, I'd try to get the cops come take care of it than venture out on my own if possible.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member
    I don't live in fear.....

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Assistant Administrator
    There is is thing called ''discretion'' - which can be applied anywhere, even on one's own property. Add to that my oft repeated statement - ''play it as you see it''.

There could well be times when the sensible decision could be to stay low, keep quiet and observe, maybe call in too. The more time we can generate to assess and make an informed decision the better (and maybe ''arm up too") - assuming things have not gotten hot and dirty in a hurry.

So regardless of location I'd consider avoiding confrontation if possible, with assessment including deciding which way odds might be stacked - suicide is not an option but good defence may be.

Circumstances always alter perceptions and events ..... certainly play for time if there is any to spare.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I always try to avoid conforntations, BUT you can not just give in and give up. It's a darn fine line, but you can't just live in a bunker. I have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and as so very many have done in the history of our nation, I will defend those rights.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Austin
    Time to move or clean up the place with cops and neigbors' help.

""if you are camping in the woods at night, and there are illegal pot fields/illegal immigrant transfers/what-have-you's in the area, and turning on a light or making a loud noise could possibly draw their attention to you - possibly leading to conflict - should you keep quiet/dark and avoid possible conflict?""

YES -- Rumor has it that some of these bad boys are very well armed....no personal experience. I've heard from reliable media sources that hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail just north of the border have been robbed by what ever the current word is for illegal border crossing criminals.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Living in fear? Isn't that like waiting to die? Personally, I can't find the time to dedicate to either of those things. I'd do whatever I feel necessary to be at peace with myself.

I think I would have long before sunk a deep well and started raising hogs... We are Constitutionally guaranteed the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..."

Now, I am assuming you are referring to a continual state, and not a single incident. In a single incident, one would need to weigh risk and benefit carefully; if it is a "continual state," I would venture that one is "under assault," though the law might not view it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Living in fear? Isn't that like waiting to die? Personally, I can't find the time to dedicate to either of those things. I'd do whatever I feel necessary to be at peace with myself.
    I'll join your team...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ram Rod
    I'll join your team...
    Sounds like a plan to me

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Austin
    You know, you're right. I better stay inside, [for my own safety].
    I'll just order pizza in. There should be a grocery store that delivers around here also.
    I might as well have my wife mow the lawn and wash the cars too.
    Thanks for reminding me how dangerous it is out there.

Oh, wait. I live in Florida. Florida law allows me to defend myself, family and those threatened of life and limb by the 'scum of society' as long as we are in a place we have a legal right to be. Whew!
    I thought for a second there I was going to have to become a hermit.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

What got me started on this was hear all over again about the guy in Texas who shot the robbers in broad daylight while the 911 operator was on the phone with him telling him to stay inside. That, and the thread about camping in the woods and gunfire/lights etc...

I'll ensure my own life, liberty, etc.. if need be - like many of you stated. JMHO but this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links