Robbery situation

This is a discussion on Robbery situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everytime I go somewhere I think up tactical scenarios in my head, call me crazy but I like to think that way... anyway this morning ...

Thread: Robbery situation

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Robbery situation

Everytime I go somewhere I think up tactical scenarios in my head, call me crazy but I like to think that way... anyway this morning I was at Sheetz grabbing a cup off coffee before I headed off to do my paper route. A town LEO's was in line in front of me grabbing a cup of coffee as well, getting ready to go on duty. I was thinking to myself, what would I do if armed robbers busted in the door right now. The LEO was in his private vehicle so there was no patrol car outside to thwart BG's. I know the LEO would take action obviously, but what if I pulled my firearm in defense of myself from the armed robbers. Would you in this situation help the LEO and attempt to identify yourself as a good guy with a CCW permit or would you stay put and get down, and let the LEO handle it single handedly?

2. Remove Ads

seek cover. watch carefully. if the LEO needs help, then help. hopefully by the time you have cover he has already taken care of it

Administrator
    You're playing second fiddle to the LEO. Let him take the lead, and your primary job is for you to get out without any extra holes. In that situation, your CHL means nothing to the LEO. You're a gun without a uniform and will be treated as such.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would say that chances are good that if the LEO sees you with a gun at the same time the robbery is going on, you are going to get shot regardless of you shouting "CHL!.

Even if the LEO does not drop you, you just screwed him up and the SHTF.

Either way the pot just got stirred unnecessarily. Get out or get cover. If the LEO gets dropped, then maybe step up at that time.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Four things...run, take cover, call 911, watch carefully...things are going to happen quickly!

Stay armed...from cover...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

things are going to happen so fast .. just take cover and pray. If you draw .. my money is you are gopingto catch a bullet. If the officer goes down then everything changes. I used to train these guys every day and they stay a little edgy.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

I don't think I would necessarily wait for the officer to be shot before I intefered but I would be very hesitant to get involved when LEO is already on scene. I would definitely seek cover, call 911, and let them know I was armed. After that, the circumstances would have to dictate how I would react...for instance if the officer was forced to disarm or if I felt like I was in danger, etc.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Let the LEO deal with it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    You're playing second fiddle to the LEO. Let him take the lead, and your primary job is for you to get out without any extra holes. In that situation, your CHL means nothing to the LEO. You're a gun without a uniform and will be treated as such.
    +1 Whether you are an off duty (out of uniform) LEO or a CHL holder, you play second fiddle to uniformed in this situation. If the LEO gets pinned down, he should already be on his radio calling in the calvary. Your CHL is only for you to protect you and your family. I feel that if you take cover and the LEO needs help, offer it. Otherwise, stay put and only use your weapon in the defense of you.

Had it happen to me once. I was in a standoff with a nutjob, waiting for backup. I heard a voice off to my side saying "I'm here to help if you need me". I didn't take my eyes off the BG, because if it were one of his friends, they wouldn't have responded at all. I told him to be vigilant, but there were other officers on the way, and he should lay down his weapon when he hears them. You'll know when backups arrive after an officer's call for help in an armed situations occur! I'd do the same today if I came across a similar incident.

I agree let LEO take the lead, offer assistance if applicable, otherwise take cover and protect your own butt!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Four things...run, take cover, call 911, watch carefully...things are going to happen quickly!

Stay armed...from cover...stay safe!
    +1. Watch carefully and relay detailed info to the dispatcher. A lot of additional units from all over will roll in very quickly once this type of call goes over the air. If you decide to keep your gun out, ensure that you relay to the dispatcher what you're wearing and where you are located, but remember that all responding LEO may not be on the same channel as the primary agency. Keep in mind that you will also likely be inside the perimeter that responding LEO will set up.

LEO will be hypervigilant and you will be an unknown with a gun at the scene of an armed robbery, not a good position to be in.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Links