Facing gang of car jackers

This is a discussion on Facing gang of car jackers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm PMing all of you guys for help, cause by the looks of it as its laid out, I ain't coming out of it alone. ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Facing gang of car jackers

Distinguished Member
    I'm PMing all of you guys for help, cause by the looks of it as its laid out, I ain't coming out of it alone.

Really not much but bad results in the end, but I would giv'um what I got.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

2. Remove Ads

Dudes are out of the car quickly moving ''to engage'' in a secluded area where they have blocked your exit.

You are under attack by clearly superior numbers.

Instantly Draw and Attack and get to cover... if you cannot INSTANTLY make a get away.

Very few BGs will stand and deliver in the face of a violent effective counter assault.

Based on how I read the scenario you still have a decent chance via a surprise counter attack ... but no way you or spouse have the time to start the car and ram. You may only have 2 seconds to effect a response and more bad/good news is that you do not have the time to wait for them to draw or make contact.

Spouse must act wisely too in any number of rational ways without bolixing or distracting your efforts.

Kill Or Get Killed ... Now. I meant to write 'Stop or Get Stopped ... Now.' Sorry.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

ckd
    Scenario is just ugly, but argee with riverkeeper. They are expecting a quick and easy take down - suprise, skill and luck will prevail; hesitation will get you killed. If all you are carrying is a five shot revolver, your pucker factor should kill you alone.

This will end up being a fun day in court.

Our justice system gives the BGs the benefit of the doubt right off the top.

Presuming you win the encounter, the scene better damn well support an outside observers theory of a fight for life situation on your part, and not a panic overreaction.

Barring the first two individuals you noted, your primary concern is the 3-4 getting out. 2 of them if it is a 4 door are your immediate problem. You are on the passenger side and also presuming there is a car parked next to you, it is a bottle neck, 1 person to deal with, and he had better be showing intent before you draw and then it is a 3-4 witnesses account of what happened if they retreat to yours. Your wife is in the car, you are in the way of her getting out, the keys are in your hand.

OK, so they show intent, the guy behind guy #1 is a non issue, and the 3rd is either behind him or coming around the drivers side to check the door or to flank you. Hit the door lock and leave the passenger door open. Flank guy has another obstacle. Wifey better be on the phone (count on 5 minutes response time minimum - no help there). Drop #1, #2 has an obstacle now and is in direct line of follow up. #3 & #4 have either ducked or turned tail.

No matter what, after the first shot is fired, things are going to get ugly and no good will come of it. If any of the BGs have their own gun you are now in a shootout with limited ammo, sketchy cover and your loved one(s) in the crossfire.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    After thinking about this, I am now gonna start backing into all of my parking spots....I do it in my driveway, so I guess i will do it every where else now..
    I grew up on the east coast, but did my first tour in the Navy in San Diego. I was shocked to get a parking ticket there once for parking nose-out (backed in) in a parking lot! Never even HEARD of it being illegal, before or since. Is that just a CA thing, or do other states prohibit it?
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

What if the car is simply stopping to let a bunch of tough-looking guys out and they're all in a hurry to get by your car and into the mall (or wherever)?

or

How about if they're actually undercover LEO's and they've mistaken you for a BG?

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    What if the car is simply stopping to let a bunch of tough-looking guys out and they're all in a hurry to get by your car and into the mall (or wherever)?
    Then they will probably pick another direction other than the blocked space of myself and the open car door. Than and if they are in a hurry to get in, then they will park in a slot, or the driver will let them out at the entrance, not in the middle of a parking garage behind me.

or

How about if they're actually undercover LEO's and they've mistaken you for a BG?
    Then they will be yelling "POLICE...HANDS IN THE AIR" as they are running at me.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

No chance to get into or use the car..wife gets shoved in door locks and she better be dialing 911 ..I get low in between the cars (assuming one is next to me) and shout get back and the first one that dares get into my shooting lane gets shot, and in this situation someone is probably gona get shot.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    The BGs are hunting sheep not sheepdogs.

Hopefully,( for their sake) they instantly realize the error in victim selection. If not, shoot till the threat is no longer a threat.

Face it. In this situation, there is no way you are going to make it to the drivers seat in order to use the vehicle as a weapon. The best defense would be an absolute aggressive offense. BG doesn't expect it and sure as hell doesn't want to deal with it. Close door, kneel between vehicles, clear anyone in sight path. Go prone, ck for feet beyond vehicle, shoot foot, shoot body when it falls. If these guys weren't willing to be first, they aren't willing to be 2nd, 3rd or NEXT.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I'm coming to this thread a bit late. I haven't been here a whole lot since I installed a new computer game on my new iMac (Battlefield 2142) and subsequently got addicted to online play. Something I've never done before. Imagine. A 50+ yr old guy addicted to an online shooter game! LOL

Anyway, I've got to agree with the first several respondents. Get into the car, get it going and floor it. Attempting to deter a pack mentality in a committed attack with a gun out once the attack is underway is a recipe for suicide. Your vehicle is a far more potent weapon in this scenario at least initially than any firearm.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Yep. You got to know when to fight and when to run.
    Getting it wrong might be the last mistake you made.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This is one reason why I really like big cars and trucks and big engines. A Honda just isn't pushing a Caddy with enough force to do what needs to be done in this situation. One thing I don't like about modern cars is that they havea center console and not a bench seat. Makes it more difficult to get into the driver seat from the passenger seat, especially in a high stress environment.

When it is just the wife and I, which isn't very often anymore, I will open her door.

Parking in a garage poses its own challenges. Concrete on one end, cars on the sides, and, in this case, a car immediately to the rear. Obviously, moving to the rear of the car is out (assuming the vehicle is head in). Overwhelming odds tell me that I am going to have a hand on my sidearm. The wife has pepper spray in the car, that would at least be in her hand as well as the cell phone.

In a parking deck I park with at least two to three feet between the bumper and the wall. I also try to back in when possible. In this situation, that may not be the best tactical thing, but we spend a majority of our time driving in forward gears, and not reverse. Hopefully, I would be able to pin at least one in or on their car. As mentioned, a 3500lb bullet beats the daylights out of a 230grn one. The really nice part is that the 3500lb one can be used repeatedly at least until we get away from the danger.

The two thugs that would be the greatest immediate threat would be the one heading to the driver side. and the one heading toward the passenger side. They would get the brunt of my attention, and the first of the lead. This is where having only 16-17 rounds could be a detriment. Likely, once the first rounds went off, the rest would tuck tail, but you can't count on that. If the opportunity exists that I can get to the driver seat, then the car becomes a battering ram.

I like hypotheticals. This is a good one, and one I think about often.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Wink Too many variables...

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    Close door, kneel between vehicles, clear anyone in sight path. Go prone, ck for feet beyond vehicle, shoot foot, shoot body when it falls. If these guys weren't willing to be first, they aren't willing to be 2nd, 3rd or NEXT.
    The problem with this response is that it's not mobile and therefore leaves you vulnerable to an enemy that is moving and will move to overcome you. What happens if you're flanked on three sides? The first thing I learned in the US Army is to get out of the kill zone if you get ambushed. Don't mount your defense from the KZ they chose! It's like a tight rack for "9" Ball. You've got to hit 'em hard for best dispersion. Otherwise the lone cue ball is surrounded, all alone, in a clump.

If you feel that there's not enough time to get the car in gear let fly a round to get their heads down, if you must. But get that vehicle moving.

This is the main reason I favor a 4x4 SUV with a heavy bumper setup. It's not "green" fer sure, unless we're talking about color. But when the objective is survival, gas guzzlers rule.

My absolute favorite vehicle for long term survival is this:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html

It costs as much as a decked out Hummer or Range Rover but you can claim the interest on your income taxes as a second home! It will also flat go all the same places as Hummer 1 in more comfort and with much better range. When it comes to vehicles, I like options for family protection. I might even consider some judicious armoring, too.

OTOH, if fuel prices continue to rise, as much as I desire this, it may not be available. However, I understand that Hummer is going to offer a Hybrid by 2009 and there are other improvements in other vehicles on the way, too. We'll have to wait and see what the future shall bring.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

MOVE!

I am picturing other vehicles around. I would move to the front of my car (I would be parked front in) while drawing and using the front of my vehicle for cover. All the while telling my wife to get down. I am always armed, my wife 40% of the time. I would hope to keep the focus on me issuing verbal commands like get back in your vehicle or I'll shoot. If they approach I will continue to use cover to my best advantage (further moving down the front of cars maybe cutting out into the rear of their vehicle) all the while putting rounds on them as I see them. I may drop down and skip rounds into their legs so as never to expose myself. I have 2 spare 12 round mags so I could keep up a very intimidating volume. Fights are hard to call and against multiple opponents I hope I would be able to thing clearly enough to stay aggressive without getting my Wife and I killed. I can't think of any reason why I would be fighting the kind of people who will continue to press the attack after I have killed/wounded one or more of them. Continuing to use cover I would certainly let up if they try to run so as not to force them to continue the fight.

Parking garages are dim, damn I need to get those night sites on my carry gun.

Great thread by the way.-J

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    My absolute favorite vehicle for long term survival is this:

http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html
    I'll take a Bowler Wildcat:
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/223633/bowler_wildcat/
    http://www.bowler-offroad.com/home.htm

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links