Facing gang of car jackers

This is a discussion on Facing gang of car jackers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Correct me if I'm wrong, but an immediate, unexpectedly violent counterattack would likely buy you time. It's difficult to get trained soldiers to charge headlong ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Facing gang of car jackers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an immediate, unexpectedly violent counterattack would likely buy you time. It's difficult to get trained soldiers to charge headlong into fire that's cutting down their buddies, much less the bottom-feeders in your scenario. I would think their first impulse would be to dive for cover, giving you time to take them, or to simply retreat altogether (them or you).
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but an immediate, unexpectedly violent counterattack would likely buy you time. It's difficult to get trained soldiers to charge headlong into fire that's cutting down their buddies, much less the bottom-feeders in your scenario. I would think their first impulse would be to dive for cover, giving you time to take them, or to simply retreat altogether (them or you).
    I agree with this, 4-5 bad guys and 2 go down shot the rest are gonna scatter.. they are looking for easy pickings.. not a hydro-shock in the chest.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

With my Mazda 626 or my wife's Honda CRV all we could do is scare them a bit and smash up the cars. But I don't think we could push the van enough out of the way to escape.

With my 6,000 lb, 2500HD Suburban with the big V8, rated to tow 12,000 lbs, we could drive all the way home pushing the van sideways down the road.

Basic physics. . . Big hunk of metal with big engine beats smaller hunk of metal with smaller engine, every time.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Here's the scenario:

It's late- you're in a parking garrage with your spouse or significant other. You keep your guard up as your wife talks about the evening. You notice a couple of guys off to the side, and take note. You aproach your car- it's clear around. You unlock the car and hold the door for you wife. You notice another car coming by and it stops behind your vehicle. The windows are tinted out but you can tell they're looking at you. The doors open and 3-4 guys are piling out to engage. What do you do?
    I have given scenarios like this a lot of thought and here are some points to consider:

1. In most states an unarmed group of people can still be considered a threat of serious bodily harm.

2. By stopping, all piling out and coming at you they have demonstated that they have the ability, intent and opportunity to do you and yours serios boldily harm.

3. Even if you managed to get in your car and ram them, what then? In any deadly force encounter your goal is to instanly incapacitate any and all threats to you and yours. By ramming the other vehicle you are betting on the chance that you can get away by doing that and that you will instantly incapacitate ALL of the threats to you. Fat chance.

4. Even if you manage to get one or two of them by ramming/running them over you have still left threats with the ability to do you harm. If they are all armed how many rounds can they shoot at you as you drive away? All of them. How many can hit you as you are driving away? It only takes one.

I think if I were in this situation it would go straight to yelling "STOP" and drawing my gun and taking the necessary actions to get out of the situation. If that means shooting them all-so be it.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

VIP Member
    I'd call in an airstrike, and tell them to lay it in close cause I'm being over run!

Wife in the car - out of the way. Me out of the car. No way am I locking myself in a box for this one.

In a parking garage, standing between parked cars, there are some pretty clear lanes of fire. Crouch and the BGs that just pulled up can only engage you single file.

Now 6:1 is pretty crappy odds, but with them coming single file, you really only have to worry about one at a time - and try not to lose track of those first two BGs loafing around.

me
    I would have to be shooting. I can move my car through small spots and drive faster and more controlled than many others, comes with driving emergency, but it is too small to push anything. My 2 liter ZX2 would crumple and not help me.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

If you are standing on the psgr side,opening the door letting your wife in the car as a gentlemen would do, when suddenly a car load of BG's pulls up behind, blocks your exit and they get out of their vehicle and rush you, there won't be time to get in your vehicle, fire it up and try to slam you way through them to exit. I think you'll need to draw your weapon and engage them ASAP, if they make any threat whatsoever. You are outnumbered, taken by surprise and they obviously mean you harm. If the sight of your muzzle and a stern loud warning to back off does not discourage them, then it appears you'll need to shoot your way out.

If you where already in your vehicle and could instantly recognize what was happening, then of course you use that big moving piece of steel and rubber as your weapon, along with some lead, as needed.

Always better to exit and run if possible, than stand and engage. However, it seems in the case described your options are very limited in such a situation and circumstance.

Had a situation in my neighborhood some months ago, when couple of guy drove home from the gun range. As they were exiting their vehicle in their own driveway, 4 BG 's came screeching in behind them, jumped out with weapons and robbed them. They were caught by total surprise and had no way escape or respond, other than to hand over what the BG's wanted. Fortunately they were not hurt.

It's interesting to read the different posts. One thing I have going through my mind is how each response would differ depending on miliseconds.

EG if parking garage is one of those multi level boxes then you're pretty much pinned in. Whereas if you were in a bottom level garage you might do better with a full on sprint rather than engaging. Then again it depends how fully the pasenger was loaded into the car (seat belt on already) maybe only half-aware of the situation while you are fully aware of what's going on.

Do any of you have a word between you and your sig other that tells them what to do. Like "sprint, engage, call, or maybe something even more complex like calling out which side you'll engage?

Im not going to get trapped in my car!! were talking seconds. if they fail to follow my commands to leave and keep aproaching there intent is clear. There maybe a dozen people judging later,but as of now they will have to crawl over there buddies to get to my wife. I have 25 chances of .40 to change the out come. If I have time to get her out of the car she would start moving low and away. The second a weapon of any sort is seen the count begins 25 then my blade. Most sideways shooting bg will be gone after the first 2 fall.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

R for Racing!
    Warning: Driver only carries $20 worth of ammunition.

If I can drive out. The wife gets in the car as I follow over her to the drivers side. The wife is drawing her weapon dialing 911. Drive away over or through anyone I need to. If that is not an option. I close the door on my wife who will be dialing 911 while drawing her weapon, I scream back the F off NOW or die as I am drawing my weapon, moving to cover. If they are still advancing by the time my gun clears BG's start getting shot. I stop shooting when they retreat or stop moving. Call lawyer, call 911 if they are not already on the line. When the the police arrive, My wife is in shock can not speak, needs to go the hospital all she is capable of saying is they were going to kill us OMG they were going to kill us. Until she is so full of vallium that she is asleep. She will remain asleep incoherent until the lawyer arrives. I will say Officer they were trying to kill us, I need to talk to my lawyer I don't know what else to say they were trying to kill us may I go with my wife, I need to talk with my lawyer.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I'll take a Bowler Wildcat:
    Bowler Wildcat
    Bowler Offroad - Home

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    I have a 55 Chevy flatbed dually, I am rebuilding, again. This time its getting a Gale Banks twin turbo DuraMax. I know for a fact the truck will take getting hit with a rolling 31 foot Airstream at 60mph and drive away unscathed and a .45 will barely penetrate the outer skin of the door. It is getting a Kevlar wagon train style top (from left over material used on the Alaska pipeline) for the bed and cattle guard /vehicle pusher up front. Never thought of it as a survivalist vehicle but come to think of it would serve that purpose well. Go most anywhere and carry everything I need plus some. In reference to the OP if I was in that I'd easily drive over through the BG's unless they parked a semi behind me. With the 1,000 pounds of torque it'll move small buildings out of the way. Though it is not likely I'd be taking the wife out on the town in it.
    Last edited by LongRider; January 21st, 2008 at 02:57 AM.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Being in the car is the absolute worst place to be for a fight, which is about to happen. You and your wife should go to the outside front of the vehicle and move sideways together, if at all possible, drawing your weapons as you go. Avoid going into the vehicle. You have a great deal more cover at the engine end than in the passenger compartment. And this way, you may avoid shooting or destroying a vehicle that has merely unintentionally blocked your way.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'd call in an airstrike, and tell them to lay it in close cause I'm being over run!
    I laughed and spewed Mountain Dew out my nose when I read that.

I posted this as a scenario because although it's grim- it could happen. I really appreciate the comments- It's true there's more than 1 way to skin a cat. A couple of things I'd like to comment on:

1. posted by markp- It is a great idea to have an action word with your significant other. I don't but I will.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    [B] Call lawyer, call 911 if they are not already on the line. When the the police arrive, My wife is in shock can not speak, needs to go the hospital all she is capable of saying is they were going to kill us OMG they were going to kill us. Until she is so full of vallium that she is asleep. She will remain asleep incoherent until the lawyer arrives. I will say Officer they were trying to kill us, I need to talk to my lawyer I don't know what else to say they were trying to kill us may I go with my wife, I need to talk with my lawyer.
    I think this is a prudent plan- because if the scenario had just occurred- I would be so jacked up that I'm liable to say anything.

BTW- Early last week a guy was attacked by his car on the UT campus. They just beat him up and took his stuff. He came out OK.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links