Facing gang of car jackers - Page 5

Facing gang of car jackers

This is a discussion on Facing gang of car jackers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by atctimmy I'd call in an airstrike, and tell them to lay it in close cause I'm being over run! Yell BROKEN ARROW ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Facing gang of car jackers

Talking Where is Mel Gibson When You Need Him?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'd call in an airstrike, and tell them to lay it in close cause I'm being over run!
    Yell BROKEN ARROW into the radio?

Ah, well. "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    I grew up on the east coast, but did my first tour in the Navy in San Diego. I was shocked to get a parking ticket there once for parking nose-out (backed in) in a parking lot! Never even HEARD of it being illegal, before or since. Is that just a CA thing, or do other states prohibit it?
    It is a San Diego Municipal Code. It is considered a form of reckless driving under local law. It is actually a misdemeanor with up to a $1,000 fine and supposedly jail time potentially. I had a friend get an $800 fine for such a ticket in a San Diego Trolley parking lot.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I carry a gang with me led by glock and his 14 brothers. But a car is a far deadlier weapon.

Maybe this...?

Toss a Flash Bang then run.

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Last winter a young couple were car jacked in the downtown area. They were taken to a house- tortured, killed, burned. I was on a date with my wife and another couple in that same area on that night. When the news came out -my wife was pretty shook up. I was carrying my Glock 19 that night.

I have more concern about facing a "pack of wolves" than a single bad guy. Here's the scenario:

It's late- you're in a parking garrage with your spouse or significant other. You keep your guard up as your wife talks about the evening. You notice a couple of guys off to the side, and take note. You aproach your car- it's clear around. You unlock the car and hold the door for you wife. You notice another car coming by and it stops behind your vehicle. The windows are tinted out but you can tell they're looking at you. The doors open and 3-4 guys are piling out to engage. What do you do?
    This is a Poo Sandwich, as others have said. I'd be looking at going toward them a step or two so the wife could get out of the car and I could offer her some protection. At the same time, if I am in fear of my life, I would be drawing my weapon and issuing verbal commands, making full use of my "Command Voice and Presence". After wife is out of the car I'd be "beating feet" out of there while she summons 911.

With the other vehicles around you your mobility is limited, but you do have cover at least. My response would depend on what their reactions are to my verbal commands. It is clearly a "Disparity Of Force" issue, but I'm hoping I can get it stopped without any shots fired.

If they have weapons drawn then the game changes and I expect to go down while trying to give my wife a chance to flee.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    I think this is a prudent plan- because if the scenario had just occurred- I would be so jacked up that I'm liable to say anything.
    Think we need to remember that, if we do survive any SD shooting its not over when the smoke clears, it's just begun. That like practicing with our weapon we need to practice our responce to the police who are trained and adapt at getting info as you said while we are so jacked up anything could fall out of our mouths. It is much better to say OMG they were trying to kill me, I need a lawyer, than to say MAN Thunder Ranch sure paid off, I wasted those SOBs before they knew what hit them.
    ANother thought, during a debate about a real life shooting I wanted to prove Janq wrong whose position had been the topic of the debate would have been better off staying in his car. So I went out and pumped some FMJ & JHP .45 rounds into a Thunderbird to prove how ineffective a car was as a shield. Not one of the rounds made it all the way through the door, so my thoughts about shooting from inside a car has changed. It may not always be the worst place to be. Though I plan on doing some more testing with different calibers
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Definitely not wanting to be me and the wife in a trapped vehicle with potential threats all around. I would liken this to shooting fish in a barrel, with us being the fish! The body of the car might offer a temporary protection, however, windows are another story. I agree with the immediate draw of my weapon and verbal commands all the while instructing the wife to exit and reminding her to stay calm and not to cross my muzzle. Tell her to immediately dial 911. I picture our slowly backing away while continuing to maintaining a visual on all BG's. I would not hesitate to fire a single .45 COM on the first brave BG to approach after I offered a request to stay back. Of course, this scenario has sooo many ways to go south, quickly!
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

If their car stops right behind mine, I'm drawing BEFORE the first BG gets out.
    Please contribute to the continuing destruction of Liberty. Vote Republican or Democrat.

My wife is disabled; she can neither run nor fight.
    Fleeing is not an option.
    Most vehicles in this Godless and plastic age are fuel injected and dependent on an electric fuel pump.
    Electric fuel pumps have a circuit breaker that shuts them off if you back into something (safety measure so if you're in a wreck it doesn't pump gasoline from a broken line into the resulting fire)
    Putting it in reverse and ramming is not an option.
    My choice in this situation is to stand and deliver.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    ......Electric fuel pumps have a circuit breaker that shuts them off if you back into something (safety measure so if you're in a wreck it doesn't pump gasoline from a broken line into the resulting fire)
    Putting it in reverse and ramming is not an option...
    Very good point about the cutoff switch.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Sincerely, as the situation describes, it is unrealistic to think that you have time to get around the car to the drivers side, fire it up and use the car as a weapon. Those who hold this belief would likely be shot by the assailants in this situation and who knows what they'd do to his lady friend.

The only proper response if you are carrying a weapon, is to draw and fire if they dont stop their attack after seeing your weapon. And you may not even have time for them to see your weapon, so you may just have to draw and fire.

Assuming I had taken notice of the variables as described, I would have been in mental preparedness for drawing my weapon, so I would likely have started my draw when the criminals' car doors opened.

The best part of this scenario is that it assumes that the Man in question is aware of his surroundings and is taking note of danger, and that he is prepared to take action. Many who carry weapons do so with little education on such matters and thus are wild cards in public and are likely to do more harm than good. Thats why I like this thread so much... It stresses responsibility before drawing the weapon, then of course, you draw your weapon and use it.

Anyone who says differently is likely dead in this scenario.

WOW. If I understand correctly you are now outside the passenger side of the car. Your wife safley inside.

First, as I am opening the door to the car for my wife i would tell her to lay down in the car and call 911. By now your feeling a threat.
    My only option at this point is to engage fire on the BG's. Shoot the closest threat first. Shoot at the car. I carry a Sig 226 holds 12hollows. If you bring down 2 of them chances that the rest will flee are high. I would not leave my wife in the car and flee after I engage my weapon. I would stay close to the vehicle. You are not only protecting yourself. The rest is pray to whatever god you pray to that this scenerio ends like a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    maybe i'm missing something. but, in the described scenario, you can't drive your car out. doesn't matter if you have a "big truck" you don't have enough room to gather momentum. you'd also be turning your back to them, limiting your ability to maneuver, and make it impossible to defend yourself from them.

i'd draw down while maneuvering behind the vehicle for cover. the first sight of a weapon or continued advance, and i'd shoot them all.

I very much agree.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Hop in the car,fire it up and stomp the pedal.
    I don't have time to read all the posts now, so I hope I'm not being redundant:
    [hope they're still between the vehicles when you ram, effectively increasing your magazine capacity!]
    If your wife is "sheepdog" too (big "if" for some; a "given" for others), she could scoot over to the driver's seat - letting you in behind her - and start the car (perhaps "agressively," that is, ramming the others) as you are preparing your armed response. If she's not, you climb in first and drag her in behind you! You could both be in the car in a fraction of the time it would take to run around to the other door/side.
    On the other hand, getting in the car may NOT be the best option - you can't get back out if they do something too unexpected, and you can't ram if they pull up bumper-to-bumper or if you drive a MiniCooper. If you can both run, and/or have a place/direction to run to, you might be better off leaving the car and retreating to a more defensible (and/or visible) position.
    Either way I'd have my hand on the (drawn!) gun, but I d@mn&d sure wouldn't show it until it had to speak out on my behalf.
    It's easy to sit here and say "Well, I'd just . . ." Just thinking about it is scary. Glad you're not here, telling us your story.

Stay safe,

ChuckBrick.
    Last edited by chuck brick; February 27th, 2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Afterthought. . .
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    After thinking about this, I am now gonna start backing into all of my parking spots....I do it in my driveway, so I guess i will do it every where else now..
    OTOH, if you ram with the front of the car, you may lose your headlights and radiator; the rear of the car only costs you the taillights and trunk space (but take care of your necks!!).
    Just a thought.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 27th, 2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links