Facing gang of car jackers

This is a discussion on Facing gang of car jackers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last winter a young couple were car jacked in the downtown area. They were taken to a house- tortured, killed, burned. I was on a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Facing gang of car jackers

Facing gang of car jackers

Last winter a young couple were car jacked in the downtown area. They were taken to a house- tortured, killed, burned. I was on a date with my wife and another couple in that same area on that night. When the news came out -my wife was pretty shook up. I was carrying my Glock 19 that night.

I have more concern about facing a "pack of wolves" than a single bad guy. Here's the scenario:

It's late- you're in a parking garrage with your spouse or significant other. You keep your guard up as your wife talks about the evening. You notice a couple of guys off to the side, and take note. You aproach your car- it's clear around. You unlock the car and hold the door for you wife. You notice another car coming by and it stops behind your vehicle. The windows are tinted out but you can tell they're looking at you. The doors open and 3-4 guys are piling out to engage. What do you do?
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Hop in the car,fire it up and stomp the pedal.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    +1 I drive a big PU truck with push bars, their car is just a speed bump.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Exactly--the element of surprise along with the most deadliest weapon at your disposal (your vehicle). All the while getting that G19 out and ready for the first one to approach a window or grab for a door handle. Reverse is a high torque gear. Your spouse should be dialing 911 at the same time. Think fast and you'll have the edge. Taking one out with the car will send an immediate, unforgiving message to the rest of the gang.

If I read it right, I am not yet in my car....if so, I would draw and order them back in their car and to leave...I would tell or hope the wife would have cranked up the car and possibly called 911 ( for a recording of the events, because it would be over by the time the police got there) ..If any of them made a move to reach then I would start shooting.........remember, four against one....make your shots count...........if you wait for them to come out with guns.........you may wait too long........

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I agree.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

maybe i'm missing something. but, in the described scenario, you can't drive your car out. doesn't matter if you have a "big truck" you don't have enough room to gather momentum. you'd also be turning your back to them, limiting your ability to maneuver, and make it impossible to defend yourself from them.

i'd draw down while maneuvering behind the vehicle for cover. the first sight of a weapon or continued advance, and i'd shoot them all.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

I don't open the door for anyone anymore. With electric locks, just get in the driver's side and pop the button. Keys are in the ignition immediately. If, in your situation, and in and enclosed parking garage, my weapon would have been out before I saw any of theirs. Best defense is a good offense.

Quote Originally Posted by dp509 View Post
    If I read it right, I am not yet in my car....if so, I would draw and order them back in their car and to leave...I would tell or hope the wife would have cranked up the car and possibly called 911 ( for a recording of the events, because it would be over by the time the police got there) ..If any of them made a move to reach then I would start shooting.........remember, four against one....make your shots count...........if you wait for them to come out with guns.........you may wait too long........
    If I read it right---there are a possible 6 BG's on the scene. Or maybe those were a couple of LEO's standing off to the side not associated with the vehicle. I figure a two-door BMW could slide a Cadillac sideways with a couple/three foot run in reverse. If the car is parked behind and the doors can open---you'd have at least that much run at them. If the first run don't do it, go forward and get a better run at it. Hope your carry is a hi-cap auto too. Figure 2-3 shots per BG? 12+?

fn 5.7...20+1, +2 extra mags

while you're doin all that driving, i suppose they are just gonna stand there and take it. no, they are gonna 1) shoot you and your girl if they have firearms. 2) beat out the windows and drag you out if they don't....all with you in a position where you can't aim at them.

p.s. hypotheticals are fun
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Lead Moderator
    Unless your vehicle is much smaller, you will have some push and crumple the other car. If possible angle as you back up to gain room to escape.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

As you describe the situation...
    I agree with the 3500# bullet...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I would just hit the panic button on my lock remote, and smile with the assured knowledge that some concerned citizen would hear it and immediately know to call 911 for me. Then I will just sit back in the comfort of my vehicle while watching the bad guys run away from the scary honking of my car and wait for the police so I can fill out a report.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    I have more concern about facing a "pack of wolves" than a single bad guy.
    So do I, given that multiples can overwhelm much more quickly than a single.

You unlock the car and hold the door for you wife.
    This situation is one of the downsides of traditional behaviors. Look and feel good on the surface, but at the core, given the current state of affairs, such things like this simply prolong the period of time when you're at your most vulnerable. I'm all for feeling and seeming gallant. But at what cost, in certain circumstances? Something to think about.

Get in, get out, lock the doors quickly, get moving, all the while maintaining an active "radar" scan for potential threats. Sadly, it has come to that.

You notice another car coming by and it stops behind your vehicle.
    If in a parking garage, then they've just wedged in my car between the cement block wall in front of me and their car. With an accurate and violent placement of my bumper against one end of their car, I might well be able to get out of that space, but that's a guess.

The reality is like to be simpler: having just assisted my spouse's entry to the passenger side, being interrupted by four aggressive and fast-moving males exiting a car would likely (almost certainly) preclude my getting behind the wheel, locking the door, starting the car, putting it into reverse and escaping before being damaged. It's a possibility, but I'd think it fairly low on the scale of possibilities.

If all the pieces fell into place as your scenario indicates, the clues (look/manner/speech/weapons) would drive everything. There would not be much time. If four large males working in concert were to aggressively and quickly attack, I'd hope to immediately respond to the degree they required. Hoping to exit in the car is fine, if I'm in a position to do so effectively. But if caught out, then the window of opportunity to survive a four-on-one attack (with me disabled as I am) would be a small one. Everything would depend on how they exited and how clear it was that this was an actual attack and not a mistake. If clear, then any response would be appropriate.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My wife would be unhappy but safe, if I'm still in the process of getting her in the car I sling her into the driver side of the car as I am diving in behind her. She is good in a pinch and I have confidence in her ability to get the car rolling as I'm grabing my gun of the evening from it's holster.

Based upon their response and my wife's ability to Terry Tate them out the way I would begin cleaning the gene pool.

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links