Mounted Flashlights & Clearing Your House

This is a discussion on Mounted Flashlights & Clearing Your House within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe I'm just ignorant as i've never done anything "tactical" in my life, but; I don't understood mounting a flashlight on a weapon, or "clearing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounted Flashlights & Clearing Your House

Maybe I'm just ignorant as i've never done anything "tactical" in my life, but;
    I don't understood mounting a flashlight on a weapon, or "clearing your house" with same. Don't you lose as much as you gain? Why would you want to give away your position? If someone broke into my house i'm sure as hell not going to go looking for them, I would take cover, put my back to a wall be silent and let them come to me. I mean what if their were multiple bad guys. What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    I don't understood mounting a flashlight on a weapon, or "clearing your house" with same. Don't you lose as much as you gain? Why would you want to give away your position? If someone broke into my house i'm sure as hell not going to go looking for them, I would take cover, put my back to a wall be silent and let them come to me. I mean what if their were multiple bad guys. What am I missing here?
    I agree!

1. - You must be sure of your target
    2. - You won't always know there's a bad guy, so you need to go check (for example, my cat likes to knock over our dishes).
    3. - Long Guns are best used with both hands, requiring a weapon mounted light for illumination.
    4. - A momentary switch will allow you to search in the dark and confirm/startle your target with a flash of bright light before shooting (if necessary to shoot).

Someone else here posed it this way (or close to it) and I really liked it:

Is it dark at night where you live?

Then you need a light.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I live alone with no pets and nobody has an emergency key, so if someone is in my house they have broken in. Flashlight clearing just seems too Hollywood for me. I'm considering a surveillance sysyem so I could monitor the house from the bedroom.

I live alone with no pets and nobody has an emergency key, so if someone is in my house they have broken in. Flashlight clearing just seems too Hollywood for me. I'm considering a surveillance sysyem so I could monitor the house from the bedroom.
    Hey, don't get me wrong. The bottom line is to do what's comfortable for you.

I have to contend with a pet, frequent sustained winds in excess of 50mph, a creaky house, a stairwell arrangement that traps my family and a police force likely to burn my house down with tear gas and flash bangs if I call them to report a burglar.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

There are so many variables here...someone coming into my home (uninvited) is going to be first met by a 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback (we do have a second, smaller dog, but she would just stand back and take names).

I know my home...in the dark.
    I would not attach a light to my weapon, but rather use the light separately (in agreement with you) as necessary for the situation.
    I, like you, would want to use cover when carefully doing any 'looking' around my home. Once my dogs are engaged, there IS going to be some bloodshed, hopefully, not mine!

A 12ga coach gun and a .45 will be with me, the .38 with my wife...the Rhodesian has a different approach...he will difinitely take a 'bite out of crime'.

Stay armed...know your space...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another thing to consider is the "strobing" effect. With a bright enough light you jack up a person and gain the momentary advantage, AND afterwords they are so blinded that return fire becomes "shoot at the ball of sun that hurts us." If you have it and don't need it then that's ok, but if you want it and don't have it you are outta luck...

VIP Member
    Clearing a building is difficult and dangerous - you are quite right to want to avoid doing it if at all possible. However, if for whatever reason you must do it, a light is absolutely invaluable. You have to know how to use it, of course, but that goes for any self defense tool.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    A large part of clearing a building is using your equipment properly. All of these "problems" people talk about with weapon-mounted lights are because of improper use.
    Yes, it is better to stay put and not clear your house on your own… its hard enough to do right when you know what you are doing with the correct amount of people, its near impossible to do it right by yourself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

ckd
    Properly using a light and/or clearing is a skill, something every home owner should practice with an empty weapon and dwelling.

Constant on, regardless of the light, is not very desirable, but has nothing to do with attachment. Weapons mounted lights have their place, especially if you need a free hand for other tasks, and are more stable than a seperate hand hold. Generally the center of your beam, must be tested to be sure, is your impact point. When you get to long guns, they need to have it attached becomes more important. There are some decent low light videos that compare and contrast this and other low light concerns. Perhaps the biggest obstacle is limited holsters for HG mounted lights, and the concern of presenting a weapon when a flashlight is all that is needed. Most limit mounted lights to their home defense weapons. Night sights too? Spray and pray in the dark is not wise.

Train to test what does and doesn't work for you. I think your idea of not searching makes sense, but some might have to retrive children. Recently, in CT I believe, an off-duty cop, shot his daughter who was sneaking back into his house - stupid.

Sometimes a flash of a strong light will cause an intruder to run for the hills, if not, what level of threat do they pose? Deadly force may or may not be the appropriate response.

I've got a Streamlight M-6 Tactical Laser/Illuminator mounted on my Baby Eagle with a rail adapter. My biggest worry when something went bump in the night was my family. I've read and heard the stories about family members getting shot and I never wanted to be one of those. My daughter is now married but I've got a 6 year old son. I'm going to stick with the bright light and the laser for house clearing. It will blind the bad guy and identify whom ever is in front of me and I can see where the bullet is going to hit at the same time. I don't have one on my carry gun but I like it on the house gun and will not be changing back.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I can't think of many situations wherein a private citizen should attempt room clearing. If an intruder is armed and has no scruples about harming you, you are at a great disadvantage in a room clearing scenario even if you are highly trained. The bad guy knows that the wall or door you're standing behind wouldn't stop a .22. And most importantly, he is likely to know where you are. You won't know where he is.

Besides, there are easier better ways to do it. For example, motion detector lights and alarms aren't just for the outside, they work inside too. And both are very inexpensive. Put a light in every room that comes on when the room is entered. And you can get several portable motion detectors at Radio Shack for less than a C note that you can position where you please. They are no larger than a cell phone and they are plenty loud. Let them tell you where the boogie man is located. As mentioned earlier, a camera in every room makes a lot more sense than clearing with a gun and light. (And you can set it up for what a good gun light would cost.)

Room clearing is just a bad idea if you can find a way around it (and you can). Even police officers hate room/building clearing and a boogie is much more likely to take a shot at you as opposed to an officer.

And if there is more than one intruder, you'd better have your insurance paid up. They aren't likely to be in the same room, you know.

And ask yourself the question: what is likely to happen to your wife and children if you get yourself injured or killed while you are out room clearing with your gun and light?

And get a house dog, any kind of dog. He will know if a family member is raiding the fridge and won't bark. And if the raider is an intruder, he will let you know that in no uncertain terms.

Thank for the replies, all sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A large part of clearing a building is using your equipment properly. All of these "problems" people talk about with weapon-mounted lights are because of improper use.
    Yes, it is better to stay put and not clear your house on your own… its hard enough to do right when you know what you are doing with the correct amount of people, its near impossible to do it right by yourself.
    Correct, as usual old wise one.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

[QUOTE=ckd;583694]Properly using a light and/or clearing is a skill, something every home owner should practice with an empty weapon and dwelling.

Constant on, regardless of the light, is not very desirable, but has nothing to do with attachment. QUOTE]
    Agreed,
    I've had the ability to do some low light shooting with flash light, and I was very confused the first few times. Your sight picture is so much harder to get while controling a light and pistol. Shotgun and light was even harder.
    Big part of it was to identify friend/foe and to not keep it on at all times (easy to give your position away.) If you've got loved ones of course your going to get them and get out. Call the police and let them play hide and seak with the potential Bad Guy(s).
    When they arrive they prefer to know anyone left in the house is a BG. Practice escape routes with family members (like a fire drill), and a safe meeting point. Part of my parents security system includes when an alarm sounds every light in their house goes on.
    It's so sad that home invasions are on the rise. Used to be that your being home was enough of a deterent for the old cat burglar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links