911: what to communicate?

This is a discussion on 911: what to communicate? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In an earlier thread, SIXTO wrote, ...People also need to be coached on what's important information and what is not in the call for help... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911: what to communicate?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

In an earlier thread, SIXTO wrote,
    ...People also need to be coached on what's important information and what is not in the call for help...
    I assume that screaming incoherently would communicate that someone is in trouble, but that it may not be the most efficient and effective way to get help.

What SHOULD be communicated, and how?

Who, What, When,Where, Why, and How in as calm a manner as possible.

Administrator
    I was going to create a thread after I said that, but my A.D.H.D brain got side tracked and forgot... thanks for doing it for me paymeister.

Dont waste time telling the dispatcher what you ate for dinner or what color underwear you're wearing, give basic good information like the post above says. Only tell what you know; if you dont know an answer to a question say so. Dont guess, dont speculate. Answer questions completly, but keep it short. Shut your pie hole and listen to the dispatcher, let them ask the questions they need to ask.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by mslaughtertx View Post
    Who, What, When, Why, and How in as calm a manner as possible.
    The only thing I can add to that is Who, What, When, Why, Where, and How, Who, What, When, Why, Where, and How(yes, I know it is all there twice). Just because the tapes heard you doesn't mean the dispatcher caught everything the first time. Just remember what my Dad used to say: "If it was important enough to say once, it's worth repeating."

At that point, 911 has all the information they need to get there, put the phone down, but do not dis-connect. Even though the speaker isn't to your ear, the line is still open and tape is rolling. This can be used in your favor later. Shout your warning to whomever the recipient is and proceed as necessary.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Dont guess, dont speculate. Answer questions completly, but keep it short.
    I quite agree.

The exact phraseology will change with the situation, but I'd think something short and sweet would be best, maybe a bit like this:

(operator) 911, whats your emergency?
    (you) There's a (man trying to break in, suspicious car, etc...), I'm armed and waiting inside for officers to arrive, my address is (address). Please hurry.

If the operator has any specific questions about your scenario answer them, but I'd try to get off the phone as quickly as possible and pay 100% attention to the scenario at hand.

I've heard lots of people say they'd leave the line open to create an audio record of whatever happens. I personally would not and will not do this - that tape may or may not play to my advantage in the ears of the jury, so I won't take the chance. Audio tapes can't capture what goes down in a home invasion scenario anyway.

My real question is, WHEN during the chain of events is the proper time to stop and call 911?
    Police response time in my area is about 45 minutes (I've tested it, a few times, and their "record" so far is 38 minutes). There's absolutely no chance they're showing up in time to save my *****. If I wake up at 3 AM to the sounds of breaking glass or a door being knocked in, I'm not going to grab my phone and dial 911 before I go check it out - that's a waste of precious time. I know it's not the "right" answer, but I think out in the woods, I'd probably end up waiting until after the scenario had played out before contacting 911, unless I had a nice opportunity to do so (such as waiting for the BG's to try to pick my locks, or etc...). Opinion?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    The only thing I can add to that is Who, What, When, Why, Where,and How, Who, What, When, Why, Where, and How .

At that point, 911 has all the information they need to get there, put the phone down, but do not dis-connect. Even though the speaker isn't to your ear, the line is still open and tape is rolling. This can be used in your favor later. Shout your warning to whomever the recipient is and proceed as necessary.

Oops, I meant to add that too!

Quote Originally Posted by mslaughtertx View Post
    Oops, I meant to add that too!
    Ahh, you caught me in an edit.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

No matter how far out in the woods you are, dial 911 and tell them you are in a life-threatening situation. If you have to hang up, it might get them there all the sooner. If you live in the boonies, you should already know that you're gonna have to take matters into your own hands in an emergency. I know that times are different, but when I was growing up in Nebraska, the nearest deputy was at least an hour or two away, depending on his nap time. We learned to take care of cattle rustlers, vandals, and gas thieves ourselves. Never had a problem when the Sheriff showed up the next day!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    No matter how far out in the woods you are, dial 911 and tell them you are in a life-threatening situation. If you have to hang up, it might get them there all the sooner.
    But at what point during, say, a home invasion would you do this?

Scenario: You live in a two story home. Your bedroom is upstairs. You live alone. Unfortunately, no dog. All the doors/windows are locked. You have a cell phone and (weapon of choice) within arms reach of your bed.
    You awaken at 3-something AM to the sound of what you think is glass breaking or a door being forced in.

Now assuming you DO intend to go downstairs and investigate, rather than lock yourself upstairs and hope for the best, which comes first? Calling 911 or gearing up to go downstairs? How much time do you "waste" with the 911 operator?

Just picking your brain(s). This is one I've always wondered about, and this thread seems like a good place to ask it.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post

Scenario: You live in a two story home. Your bedroom is upstairs. You live alone. Unfortunately, no dog. All the doors/windows are locked. You have a cell phone and (weapon of choice) within arms reach of your bed.
    You awaken at 3-something AM to the sound of what you think is glass breaking or a door being forced in.

Now assuming you DO intend to go downstairs and investigate, rather than lock yourself upstairs and hope for the best, which comes first? Calling 911 or gearing up to go downstairs? How much time do you "waste" with the 911 operator?

Just picking your brain(s). This is one I've always wondered about, and this thread seems like a good place to ask it.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

If you are in a city where LEO response is quick, then I would say unless you have to leave your room stay there and hold fort while talking to 911 dispatch. It is much easier to hold ground than the gain it. Once you call 911 stay on the phone, when the officer(s) arrive you need to be on the phone with 911. They need to know you are the good guy.

Clearing a house is not an easy process. This was a tactic designed for 6 plus people to do for a reason. If you have to leave the bedroom, then keep a phone with you and do not hang up with dispatch unless you have to, or they tell you to.

Not to take this thread off-topic, but...

I've run through this scenario in my head a lot before. Two of my neighbors have had home invasion robberies in the last 4-6 months.

I won't wait upstairs in silence for the BG's to come to my bedroom door, while they take everything downstairs (potentially including weapons). I'm going to stop the attack as early as possible. Not just to save my "stuff" either; I don't want the BG's to grab a gun downstairs and then come looking for me.

I've practiced "clearing" my house quite a bit and I feel confident that my practicing, knowledge of the floorplan, and 12g pump give me as much of an advantage as I'm going to get.

My question stands; At what point during a home invasion situation do you take time to call 911?

Thanks for letting me kick around ideas. If I'm going too far off-topic for the thread let me know and I'll move it elsewhere.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    (snip)
    How much time do you "waste" with the 911 operator?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

If you live in the boonies or next door to the station house, your first act should be to have the line to 911 ready (not necessarilly online with them, but ready). If the noises persist, then continue with your call to 911 and stay put and ready your defenses. If not, then do what ever your heart desires.

You take whatever time it takes to get the who, what, where, when, why and how's across to the dispatcher twice. After that, if there are any more questions, you can answer them once the officer(s) is(are) there. If you have a spouse, have them on the phone with 911 while you secure the up-stairs with your best vantage point.

Homeowners insurance takes care of damaged or stolen goods, but that is of no account if you happen across the BG in the process and he gets the drop on you.

Pete...The call to 911 alerts authorities of an emergency. Either you or your significant has the obligation to tell them what's going on. If you choose to stay on the line or drop the phone (NEVER hang up), they will be responding. In my previous post, I stated we all have the ultimate responsibility for our safety. Cover your a** and do what's necessary. When you do it right, no matter the outcome, you will be a winner.
    Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Pete...The call to 911 alerts authorities of an emergency. Either you or your significant has the obligation to tell them what's going on. If you choose to stay on the line or drop the phone (NEVER hang up), they will be responding. In my previous post, I stated we all have the ultimate responsibility for our safety. Cover your a** and do what's necessary. When you do it right, no matter the outcome, you will be a winner.
    Tracy
    I'm certainly not arguing rather or not you should call 911 - of course you should. The question is, at what point during the home invasion? The way I see it, the first 60 seconds are going to be the most crucial - you still have the element of surprise on your side, and they don't know the floorplan yet.
    I'm just saying, in a home invasion situation in a location where police response time is 30+ minutes, it doesn't make tactical sense to me to stop and call 911 before investigating the problem. Unfortunately, the next opportunity you'd probably get will be after all is said and done - either there was no real threat, the BG's ran off, or you dropped them.
    What point during the invasion do you stop to call 911?

I didn't mean to start an argument or take this thread way off topic.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Last edited by Pete Zaria; January 7th, 2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    - Margaret Mead

Here is an idea, dial 911 and throw the phone in your pocket if possible. If the timing works out 911 should be in the process of asking what your emergency is as you are kindly informing the BG of his right to stop or get air holed.

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links