It started an argument.. - Page 2

It started an argument..

This is a discussion on It started an argument.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You were right, stick to your guns. Pun intended......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It started an argument..

You were right, stick to your guns.
    Pun intended...

IMHO, your only mistake was exiting the house. Tactically, better choice to stay inside and wait. Especially because you have others (your GF) to watch out for.

A jury looks much more favorably at a self defense shooting INSIDE your home rather than out on your lawn. One more good reason to stay inside. Plus, your tactical options are better - you can lay an ambush, so to speak, and give yourself time to ID the "target" and make a decision to or not to use lethal force. Might be worth discussing how to handle such a situation with your GF?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

VIP Member
    Not paranoid. I also try to not answer the front door, and do slip out through the garage to see who is there.

I think openly carrying the AR (is that a rifle? I assume) is unwise. I would put a pistol in my pocket, or in my hand hidden from view--behind my back, before exiting.

Those who suggested that staying in the house to see what plays out are probably correct.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I see nothing wrong with what you did. I remember about 2 years ago the same thing happened to this family and I resulted in the BG stabbing the father. Fortunately he lived.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by monky View Post
    Did I over react?
    No.

What would you have done?
    About everything you did, except I would have stayed in the house. If I continued to hear voices from outside, I'd probably call the police.

And I also would consider finding a new girlfriend. Not trying to be harsh--she may be a fine girl otherwise. But do you want to be having this reaction from her for possibly 50 years of marriage? Lots of people marry expecting their mate to change in certain areas. Lots of people end up disappointed.

Again, not trying to be harsh, but that's what I would do.

Once you exit your abode, the rules change, and this change is NOT in your favor.

Stay inside. Its safer. Its warmer.

(Besides, inside you have a woman, an X-box and firearms. What more in life do you really need?)

Be curt, tell them to leave and you are calling the police if they don't leave immediately.

Don't tell them you are armed, don't rack the shotgun, don't engage them in conversation about anything.

Tell them to leave. Once.

If they attempt to enter...Life isn't a sport. Life isn't fair. Break into people's home at your peril.

Sheesh..n shes gonna be a cop?..She needs a certain amount of suspicious paranoid personality for that job...to stay alive that is...trust but verify..if you leave the verify out..bang yer dead

1. You're NOT paranoid...just careful.
    2. Next time, stay inside.
    3. Your gf will have a different attitude after about a week on the job.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

She is going on her first ride along in two weeks, and I can NOT wait for her reaction. While she is slowly coming around to shooting and is improving rather quickly on her grouping... she still does not understand why I need to be armed everywhere we go.. Of course after the mall/church shootings she understood, but how quickly people forget.

My back door backs up to a green belt, I have a 6' privacy fence, and there is a 3' drop into a creek/storm drain right behind that so someone seeing a rifle wasn't my concern. The shot gun oddly enough is laying in a few pieces so I could not grab that, I dropped it last time I was at my friends ranch and after a quick cleaning that day.. took it all apart to get the mud completely out.

I wondered what I was doing after I got back inside as well... what if someone had been under my back porch? My motion lights are pretty damn sensitive and constantly illuminate squirrels and rabbits, they weren't on, but when I turned the lights on I could see the whole back yard was clear..

Now that I think about it the porch thing bugs me.. might need to fix that.

You're right.. guns, xbox, and gf inside why go outside.. I have to venture to the garage for my beer.. not everything good is inside :)

You are not paranoid at all. You are alert and cautious. Good job and you handled the situation very well.

She on the other hand is living is a little world I like to call dreamland. I'm sure that looking through the peep hole and not seeing anything she would have opened the door and very possibly been attacked.

If she does become a police officer, and if by some miracle she survives the first year on the job without being attacked or killed, I would bet one million dollars that her naive attitude will be gone for good.

She needs to wake up and realize that there are lots, and lots of people out there that knock on doors and then wait for the person at home to open it to see who it is and then bust in to do their home invasion robbery and maybe even murder. She is too trusting, as most liberals are, and it may get her robbed, raped and murdered someday unless she wakes up now and starts living in the real world.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I would prefer a shotgun over a rifle. I would also have stayed inside. Anyone coming into a lighted room from the dark is at a disadvantage, same holds true for someone going form a lighted room to the dark.
    Also I would think going outside armed takes it to the offensive level from a defensive level.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

You're right.. guns, xbox, and gf inside why go outside.. I have to venture to the garage for my beer.. not everything good is inside :)
    Maybe you aught to consider having a supply of beer inside the house in case of a siege like this...

I mean, could it hurt to have the beer close at hand?

Grabbing the AR without ID'ing a threat was probably a little rich, considering you already had a gun on your hip.

An AR or a Shotgun is great for defending the hearth.

You however were investigating suspicious "noises or voices" at 7:00 PM in the evening. This time of year, 7:00 PM is DARK. I would want my hand on a handgun, still holstered and the other hand holding a flashlight so that I could identify who or what was making the noise. Longarms are great in some respects, not so great when you have to search.

You left a tactically superior position and an ill prepared defender, IMHO. What if one of the people was hiding in the bushes and jumped you from behind? Let's say he bashed your head in with a rock. You have now armed him with a "cool" toy for him to continue his mayhem.

Myself, I turn on the lights outside, let the dogs out in the backyard and order whoever is making the noise to leave my property. After that I "hunker down" and call 911. This way I have a rear sentry, illumination and a defensive position.

Biker

I have to venture to the garage for my beer.. not everything good is inside :)
    No beer closet? And you call yourself a bachelor...
    Next thing you'll be telling us is that the TV isn't hanging from the wall...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links