Defensive Carry banner

It started an argument..

5K views 47 replies 42 participants last post by  Ragin Cajun 
#1 ·
So last night at about 7pm, there is a knock on the door. I certainly am not expecting anyone, and I'm sure that my gf is not either. My gf who is standing in the hallway, looks at me as I stand from the couch (playing xbox 360) and put my hand on my gun as I approach the door.

I don't answer the door, not before looking in the peep hole, no one there.. i'm positive I didn't imagine the knock, and when she asks who is there I know I'm not going crazy. I don't open the door, I go to the office and glance out of the curtains to where I can see the front door.. no one.

I think I hear people talking, but I can not see anyone, so at this point I'm wondering what the hell. I go to the bedroom and grab my AR heading to the back door. The whole time (about 45s) my gf is asking who is at the door, and I keep telling her no one I can see, but I can hear someone.

I go out the back door, around to the gate to where I see someone walking across the lawn and to my neighbors house. I ask if I can help them, as they do not belong in my neighborhood (they are wearing some sort of uniform). They say no, they are just delivering flyers (a new pizza joint opened down the road apparently) and are getting paid to deliver the flyers on the doors. I ask them why they are doing it so late (it's dark and rather cold), and they reply that they don't want to work saturday so they are getting it all done today, no matter how long it takes.

My gf (who is new to guns, but is in school for criminal justice and hopes to join a PD when she is done) starts telling me that I am paranoid and nuts for taking my AR with me. I lay out the possibilities of what could have happened, hearing the voices and not seeing anyone at the door.. Still I'm paranoid and over reacting (she only sees good in the world, yes she's a liberal).

I grew up with my dad being a cop, he never answered his front door, always went out the side through the garage (unless it was someone he knew). It became a habit to me, but lately there has been a little more crime in my area, and I was not expecting anyone, neither was she.

Did I over react? What would you have done? I do not answer the door for solicitors (even though that is how I met my gf/fiance.. long story). It wasn't me who answered the door then... :)

Being paraoid is a horrible way to describe being cautious, but am I over reacting to the situation? I'm hoping that my gf (who is currently a sheep) once she starts getting further into crim justice and then the academy will learn about being cautious as she is overly trusting.

See less See more
#32 ·
Did I over react?
OMG!:ahhhhh: and you have guns. Dude you are a complete whack job, please PLEASE get some therapy. PM me for an address to send your guns to before someone gets hurt.

J/K seems to me you did OK. Hopefully in school your G/F will get learn to see and accept the world for what it is not what she / we would like it to be. Long before she has to learn from experience

#34 ·
brandishing doesn't apply on your property. It would be like a cop giving you a DUI for mowing your lawn with a beer. Disturbing the peace or some BS charge like that they might stick you with tho.

I've never heard of a cop that lets people go for illegally brandishing firearms......

#36 ·
Several years ago my Aunt is the living room my Uncle is sound asleep in his boxes on the couch. His blue jeans with the hole in the knee are on the floor. (We all have that favorite pair.)My aunt hears the front screen door open and then the knob turning/jiggling and can see thru the glass panel above the door the top of somebody’s head. So she wakes my Uncle by telling him somebody is breaking into the house by the front door. My uncle jumps up and into his pants while placing his whole leg thru the hole in the knee. Gabs the Glock from the T.V stand and runs to the door and sure enough somebody is turning/jiggling the knob. My uncle pulls the front door open and sticks his Glock into the persons ribs, yells DON'T F***ing MOVE!! It turns out to be a pizza delivery guy resting the pizza box on the door knob while trying to read the address for delivery. The delivery was for the tenant who lives in the basement. The pizza guy and my Uncle both were scared s***less. My Aunt and Uncle could not get a pizza delivered to the house for months after that.

#37 ·
:rofl: That is so wrong bet it was a crappy piuzza after that. Hope the poor guy got a good tip out of the deal.

#39 ·
Show her this:

Robbinsdale home invasion: 2 'persons of interest' identified

This started with a knock on the door New Years Eve. The homeowner, his wife, and two friends came home late, entered his home and did not lock the door behind them. They simply answered a knock by opening the door. End result was the homeowner is killed.

By the way I would not have ventured out of the house.

#41 ·
This has probably already been asked and addressed as I have no time to read all 4 pages of replies (just read page 1), but why in the world would you exit your home to investigate further?!

If you suspect trouble and heard "voices" as in plural then by they having you outnumbered they are already at a tactical advantage even as you might have superior firepower. It being dark/night adds to their favor and subtracts from your own.

Stay inside, don't leave, and there is no law requiring one to answer a knocked door.
If things really get suspicious/odd then dial 911 and retreat to a safe room...as opposed to poking around in the night to get clobbered in the head by a hammer wielding fiend leaving your home and GF defenseless and ripe for plundering. :(

- Janq

#42 ·
If things really get suspicious/odd then dial 911 and retreat to a safe room...as opposed to poking around in the night to get clobbered in the head by a hammer wielding fiend leaving your home and GF defenseless and ripe for plundering. :(

- Janq
That may work for many but I live in the sticks on a little piece of land with out buildings my dogs alert on something it is time to go see what's up more likely a bear, *****, or cougar than BG. Can't have any of that running amok on my piece of the earth. Hate to go out in the morning to find dead goats turkeys, quail, pheasants, chuckers or my truck, boat Airstream, motorcycle or tools gone. That said after I check the security cameras my Akitas get cut loose to lead the way and a handgun is not all I'm packing. If I called 911 that there is a noise outside they'd hang up on me or laugh me out of town anytime I showed up in town. We all live in different areas, circumstances

#43 ·
when my friends or GF says I am "paranoid". I respond with, "I'd rather be paranoid and ready than gullible and dead."
I always say "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean their NOT out to get you".

#44 ·
I would not have left the house. The BG's can have my crap outside, I do not want them near my wife. I would have stayed in the house with her. They might have entered the house from the front when you exited the back. She would have been up the creek without a paddle. Or , this is something that happened to my CHL instructors students. His garage was getting broke into, he saw them from the house.... his wife and child were in the house... he cornered the 2 guys breaking in the garage, but did not see their "lookout" come up from behind. The BG pumped 4 -357 magnums into his back. His wife and child watched it happen. Nothing in that garage was worth dying over. That is what I have insurance is for. He should have called 911 and stayed with what matters..family......real hard to do, but the smart choice.

#45 ·
Somethings missing here. Why did the home owner not check his perimeter before going out? Why was his back unprotected / exposed? Why did the lookout not warn his crime partners the home owner was onto them? Why did the wife not shoot or warn her husband? Why was she also out where she could see this?

My wife has her own tools and job if I have to leave the house which I do for the reasons I previously stated. As I am leaving with all doors locked she is taking up her position, which generally means she is just staying put on red alert weapon ready, until I get back in. We have plans for different contingencies

#46 ·
You know your area much better than I do... that said, I think you may have over reacted a little and I certainly would not have exited the house.

On the flip side, you did one heck of a lot better than the majority of people do! :yup:

#47 ·
+1 to most of the responses above. You are the best judge of what is typical in your neighborhood and if you were concerned, there must have been reason for it...

false alarm and no one was shot, chalk it up to a good test of your readiness for when it does happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.