Creepy guy this morning.

Creepy guy this morning.

This is a discussion on Creepy guy this morning. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I begin I did not draw in this scenario. It crossed my mind though. Anyway when I got done with my paper route this ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creepy guy this morning.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Creepy guy this morning.

Before I begin I did not draw in this scenario. It crossed my mind though. Anyway when I got done with my paper route this morning I stopped in to Hess to chat with my buddy who was getting off work (he's interested in getting his CCL) and we were talking guns, football and politics as normal. Well it was about 0530 and a gangster looking guy pulls up and walks in. Pants hanging around his butt, flat billed hat, timberlans, do-rag... you know the type. Instantly my spidey sense was tingling He didn't seem right, considering pretty much everyone who frequents that store are the redneck blue collar type. My buddy who is also a black guy thought he was a little off. He walked around a bit, saw me standing up against the side wall next to the counter, gave me the up and down then walked out. He reached into his car and grabbed something, and here I am thinking the whole time "Oh s*** its go time". Well he walks back in with something in hand that is black and points it towards me then says "do you know where Burke steet is"? At that point I casually had my hand right outside my shirt hovering my Glock. Then his two way on his cell crakled thru with some lady saying something in ebonics I couldn't understand. The thing in his hand was his cell, and the guy was looking for directions. Well I happened to be standing next to a town map on the wall. He got up right next to me to look at it with his hand in his pocket the whole time, while asking me 300 times where Burke Street was while looking at the map and two-waying who ever was on the other end of the phone. The entire time I was ready to draw if anything went awry. I showed him on the map where he needed to go, watching his hands the entire time. I moved down the wall a bit to get a better angle on him in the event he tried anything. He came up to me and patted my shoulder and said so I go that way? I just said yes so he'd get out of my hair, then he was gone. Could have gone bad, but luckily it went good. How about the rest of you.

How do you react in these situations? Where you're pretty sure the guy is ok, but could go bad quickly too?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    "Sorry man, I'm new to the area myself. Maybe the cop on the corner can help you."

That I'll bet is a prime example of what a "Near Miss" is. 95% there, just hanging on the last 5%.

I don't know that I would have let the guy close the gap between us.

How was your adrenaline level afterwards?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I don't know that I would have let the guy close the gap between us.
    I really didn't have anywhere else to go, this particular Hess is small. It's either keep my back to the door or stand agaisnt the wall facing the door. I chose the latter, thats why my guard was up instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    How was your adrenaline level afterwards?
    A little high. I was almost mugged in Maryland before and nothing after that has ever reached that level of adrenaline. I was just glad he left and there was no issue.
    Last edited by Pro2A; January 14th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

+1 on having the radar up and running. ya never know what might happen.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I don't get it. Black guy, dressed like at least half of the ones that I see daily gets out of car, comes in store, goes out gets his cell phone, and comes back in to ask for directions.

What was scary?

No, it isn't sarcasm.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I don't get it. Black guy, dressed like at least half of the ones that I see daily gets out of car, comes in store, goes out gets his cell phone, and comes back in to ask for directions.

What was scary?
    I'm going to assume that was sarcasm... but if it wasn't its the fact that that particular store was robbed a few days earlier. And we don't have "thugs" around this area all too often unless they're up to no good.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Sounds like your "spidey sense" was doing what it's supposed to. While it's entirely possible this guy was simply lost, I think your desciption of his actions justifies your suspicions. I believe some (not many) BGs have a spidey sense too. I wouldn't be surprised if your body language indicated to this guy that you were not going to be an easy mark and that he would be better off continuing his search for Burke Street.

Black guy with a cell phone? I would have my hand on my gun, too. He's just lucky he didn't get shot, what with him talking ebonics and dressing in baggy jeans. Good job keeping the situational awareness up.

Understanding and paying attention to what is going on is great, but this seems more of a sterotypical, it's a black guy so he must be up to no good kind of thing. We all prejudge. No way we can get around that, and if we are wrong 20% of the time, then the 80% makes up for it. I just don't think 'pulling your gun almost crosses your mind' is an appropriate response to a sterotypical assumption.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; January 14th, 2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: to be a little less inflamatory
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Lets see,am I the only one thinking this person clearly is talking "ghetto" or like hes poor and of the type to commit crimes/desperate actions,and obviously spend some good money on specifically looking like a "thug". I see nothing, absolutely NOTHING wrong with being more concerned about an individual like this. If this young man actually is nice, then maybe he shouldn't CHOSE to wear "gang" type clothes,and act like hes from the "hood". Period. Its not cool or fashionable to pose as a gangster,furthurmore if you CHOSE to dress/act like this,you have to expect people to be more leary of you. Get over it.

If I walked around with a shirt that says "death" and a red swastica ,I can see why people might be scared,I fail to see how this is any different. Need to reiterate the fact its called a "THUG" look?

(P.S. The "ghetto" in my screen name started as a joke many years ago as I used to listen to alot of rap/hiphop.)

I personally can't stand when people/teesn esspecially pose like their from the "hood" like its cool or fashionable.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I would not have let him get close enough to me to pat me on the shoulder - too close.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

We weren't there. While at face value it might seem like a stereotype, who knows what underlying body language -- "vibes" -- if you will, that this guy was sending out. Sometimes you just get that feeling from people that says something is not right.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Senior Moderator
    Good job on the SA!

However, I agree that I would not have let the guy close the gap, and I certainly would not have allowed him to touch me.

BTDT x 2! Each time it turned out bad.

Someone I don't know lays a finger on me I back up screaming "DON'T TOUCH ME!" While protecting my gun side. If I have room to leave I'm leaving, if I don't have room to leave and feel cornered and he takes another step towards me it's fight or flight time. I WILL NOT be touched. It's gotten me in some BAD situations and history will not repeat itself.

Other than that, I would do as chooie advised (more than likely it would be true).

"Sorry, just moved here and don't know where it is you are looking for."

Lead Moderator
    While type of dress does not always indicate intentions, if you dress like a thug I will watch more closely. Sounds like you did o.k., however as said, I would not have allowed someone to touch me either.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    WHEW! That made the hair on the back of this ol'sheepdogs neck stand up!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links