Subtleties of Spidey Sense

This is a discussion on Subtleties of Spidey Sense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was reading the "creepy guy" thread... A couple responses noted that it sounded like the suspicious was just a typical black guy and that the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subtleties of Spidey Sense

Subtleties of Spidey Sense

Was reading the "creepy guy" thread... A couple responses noted that it sounded like the suspicious was just a typical black guy and that the response by the OP was the result of stereotyping. Now, I agree that on face value it appears stereotyping, but sometimes there are subtle, nearly subconscious things -- be they body language, facial expressions... whatever -- that suggest something wrong. And often these things are impossible to describe, to tell someone else. The best you can do is say that something was off.

Thought I'd share a little story from my youth that perhaps validates the argument. I thought it was a bit too off topic to put in that specific thread.

This was about eight years ago -- I was about 13 and playing basketball @ the gym while my dad was running in the track around/above the court. Anyway, this Puerto Rican guy, non-native English speaker around the age of 30, comes to the hoop I'm at and starts shooting with me. Seems like the nicest guy in the world. But something "felt" wrong. The sense kept building and building, and finally I basically switched baskets not to subtly. I watched him switch hoops to a group of 12-year-oldish girls and felt a distinct chill, but a mom was sitting there watching them, so I felt okay.

Now, if that were the end of the story, y'all would rightly suspect that I just had a thing against Hispanics with thick accents.

Two strange things followed the incident, though.

The first, less strange one, involved my dad. As I said, he was running around above me. When we were getting in the car afterwards, he said something like, "Mark, that guy was giving me the creeps. I was watching you guys the entire time. If you had walked off the court with him, I was ready to book it downstairs." Bear in mind that you can't hear much on the track above, so he didn't realize the man was a non-native English speaker. Also, we live in Tucson, Arizona, so there would be nothing unusual about a Hispanic guy at all. If it were merely him being Hispanic, my dad would be creeped out 24/7.

The second incident is the "!!!!!!" one. A solid three years later, I was talking with my brother one night. He was a senior in high school at that point and a starter on the basketball team. Anyway, his phone rang, and he says something, "Damn it's that stalker again".... Uh, WHAT?!? He said, yeah, there was this guy he and some buddies had played basketball with a couple times at the gym. They all exchanged numbers to get a group together to play regularly. The guy called my brother a *lot*. At first Will didn't think anything of it, but after a while it was getting weird. Then, one night at a basketball game, there is this guy sitting in the stands, watching my brother. Now, the guy knew that he played for his high school, but he didn't have a schedule or anything. The guy started showing up to every game, and eventually tried to follow him home twice. My brother told my dad, and my dad convinced him to file a police report. Shortly afterwards, I was at my brother's game, scanning the stands, and lo and behold. There's the same guy who I played basketball with three years before that had creeped out me and my father.

In any case, nothing ever came of the police report. My brother and an assistant coach approached the man and asked him not to come to games anymore. He tried to show up once more and was turned away. Will finished his season and never saw the guy again, nor did I or my dad.

The point to this long and drawn-out narrative is trust your spidey sense! (unless you really are just an incredibly racist bigot ) Sometimes you might be more right than you'll ever know.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Every hunter has had an experience with a cagey whitetale that leaves you thinking "How did that deer know I was here". Animals definitly have a sixth sense, I've seen the whitetail thing happen too many times to think otherwise. I think to a certain extent we humans have the same gift, and the more we use it the more it will work for us.

I understand exactly what you meen I had a run-in with a guy a Wally world recently that honestly changed my life, at least in a few ways. I can't really say exactly what it was about this guy we just seemed to interested in what I and my wheel chair bound mom was doing. Even before we had a moron at the pharmacy counter practically screaming what heavy duty drugs we were picking up ( mom's a pancreatic cancer patient turned over to Hospice 5 months ago). Yeah he was a big black guy, but I grew up in south eastern Detroit where most of our neighbors were black, no big deal. But he just seemed wrong to me maybe the way he watched or moved. Anyway not to re type my original thread this guy rushed us in the parking lot and I did draw and even connect with his chin/mouth with my pistol. If you ever get that feeling better safe than dead anyday, God gave us the tingle for a reason use it.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

wow. thats creepy
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Okay, I actually have a goodly amount to say on this. Especially with the remarks about the "cagey whitetail" - thank you ATCTimmy for that reminder.

People are animals. I think we can all pretty much agree there. We don't carry because people are fuzzy wuzzy creatures hell-bent on showering us with flanel sheets. But my point is, I've read a lot to the direction of that 6th sense. Really, I think that is left over from a time millions of years back. Back when people weren't at the top of the food chain. We had to pay attention to that. It's easy to write that off as "situational awareness." Of course! That's more or less what it is, right? Well how many of us had to conciously start to keep our head on a swivel? Probably a good number of us if we are honest with ourselves. But there are those of us also who have always had that feeling. I firmly believe it goes back and most people, by now, have lost it. In an age of cell-phones, Fox News, training classes and "love yourself first", a lot of our animal instincts aren't just dulled - they're gone. All but for one group of people.

Women. Call me sexist. Call me a women's activist. Whatever. I will trust a woman's spidey senses any day of the week. Especially a mother's. I can't for the life of me explain it, but these magnificent people have an excellent sense of impending danger. I recall reading an article some time ago to the same effect that basically said that if you firmly believe the best way to win a gunfight is to not show up for it, then trust the instincts and gut feelings of the woman you're with.

Just my .02
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The "Sixth Sense" is simply a compilation of our existing five senses, just adding a reminder to pay attention to the first five. I firmly believe in "survival of the fittest", simply a reminder to use the talents we all have inherently.

There is, without a doubt, something that sets off warning bells in a situation that may seem pretty normal otherwise. Could be a look, voice inflection, or movement or mannerism, anything, really. I won't pretend to understand it, but it's there.

As far as trusting women's intuition... I live in a house with 5 women (wife + 4 daughters 12-20), and believe me, men and women look at the world in a different way than men do. I would never disregard a 'feeling' one of my girls tells me about.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

TyC
    I agree 100% with you sixbravo. We are animals who have had to survive by our wits alone. We couldnt run faster then predetors, we didnt have a shell, we didnt have claws or super hearing and eye sight, no real camo to blend in with. About all we had was our brain to get us through the bottom of the food chain times.

As far as women being more spidey like i haven't really seen that unless there are kids around then that maternal instinct kicks in and you dont want to get between mama bull and her kids.

What I have observed is that sheepdogs seem to listen to and refine that spidey sense more than sheep. I've been places with my family on trips and we've entered a new camping area that was almost empty except for a few people but we decided to camp in a crowded spot cause my dad, brothers and I all got a bad feeling about the people up there, and its not just one saying something and all of us getting edgy, we were all in different cars.
    Or out in public the same thing happens, someone with a bad scent that sets off our spidey sense will come around and my dad and brothers and I will all look up at the same time and eachother to make sure were covered.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

cj
    I'm in the middle of "The Gift of Fear", recommended elsewhere on this board. It's largely about exactly this topic.

Man has these instincts, we're just so darn logical that we often convince ourselves otherwise. "Oh, he's just trying to be helpful [despite the fact that I've told him 'no' three times" and he's still insisting on 'helping']. "Oh, I'm just uncomfortable that he's a minority [when it's really the furtive glances, oversized coat in the middle of summer, etc.]".

So far it's a great book from this perspective, and I plan to make my wife read it as well.

Last week while walking around Wally World, my daughter felt she was being followed. Everywhere she went, there were these two mexicans staring at her and whispering to each other in spanish. This was the second time in as many weeks that this happened to her at this store. While she does not yet have her CCW, I have armed her with a Kimber LifeAct. This incident had her so freaked that she was openly carrying it around the store. She eventually stepped up to an older couple and said "do you mind if I stand with you until those two guys go away?" He said "No problem" and the two guys eventually disappeared. She said things just didn't "feel right."
    Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
    Last week while walking around Wally World, my daughter felt she was being followed. Everywhere she went, there were these two mexicans staring at her and whispering to each other in spanish. This was the second time in as many weeks that this happened to her at this store. While she does not yet have her CCW, I have armed her with a Kimber LifeAct. This incident had her so freaked that she was openly carrying it around the store. She eventually stepped up to an older couple and said "do you mind if I stand with you until those two guys go away?" He said "No problem" and the two guys eventually disappeared. She said things just didn't "feel right."
    I really pray that this doesn't sound racist, but imop illegal mexicans are the worse when it comes to gauking, and I find that they do like to congregate at walmart. Like I said I hope that doesn't sound racist as it's not meant to be, and there are just as many weirdos who are white, but dang some of those illegals look like they are going to jump you right there. They are always in groups and they all gauk in groups. Sorry about getting off topic.

Where does the word "spidey" come from?

Assistant Administrator
    Where does the word "spidey" come from?
    It's been around a while but my take is it is to do with the sense we might describe as being like a spider running on our neck - and then spider became ''spidey''. Works for me anyways.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Umm, "spidey" comes from Spider Man, who has a hyper-aware sixth sense of impending danger, called his "Spider Sense". "Spidey" is also a nickname for Spider Man, hence the shortening to "Spidey Sense".

WikiPedia is your friend.

Ms. k., I have heard many people explain that the general behavioral patterns of Latin American men towards women are along those lines---staring and comments that go way beyond the line of what we generally consider acceptable---so I don't see your comments as being 'racist' in the sense of being baseless prejudice. It seems to me you are just observing actual cultural differences played out. It also seems this is just another reason to expect those who come to this country to adapt themselves, at least a little, to prevailing standards of acceptable behavior. Those guys in the Wal-Mart may not have been child molesters, but that doesn't make their observed behavior any less unpleasant.

Thanks. I'm not into spider man movies so I didn't know.

Sixbravo, that was the best explanation of sixth sense that I have read recently. You are right about the animal part. Also, I have noticed that people who have been victimized in the past seem to have a nicely developed spidey sense, especially abused children.
    Women aren't the only ones who have intuition. I know my Dad and DH have some. After reading some of the posts on this forum, I would say that alot of forum members have some spidey-sense too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links