What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any unwarranted knock at my door is usually met with my Glock at my side or back out of view, then I'll go from there. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Any unwarranted knock at my door is usually met with my Glock at my side or back out of view, then I'll go from there. I've had uniformed state police knock looking for the previous residents once, after I assured them that the previous residents had moved and we bought the property they were on their way. I'm willing to bet LEO's do their homework before busting in a door, as these state troopers did.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for all of the thoughtful posts. There are no easy answers, that's for sure.

If the people at the door have a "warrant" that is not a "no-knock" and you try to be a good guy and they are legit police officers, you don't have a problem when you open the door. If they're bad guys, you do.

If they are good or bad guys and have broken your door down, you've got a problem that I see no solution to. If they're bad guys and you respond with force, you may be able to "save the day". If they're legit officers who have the wrong house, break in and you're armed, you are in a world of hurt.

We get the Denver TV channels up here in northern Wyoming and there have been several reports of police impersonators stopping women. The best advice given in this instance is to drive to an "active", well lit area or, better yet, a police station and then stop for the probable law enforcement officer. Calling 911 and checking if there is a legit officer trying to stop you was another good idea. A legit officer will generally have no problem with this, especially with a woman driver at night. This scenario has a good solution whereas the first instance I mentioned doesn't as far as I can see.

Cloudpeak

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post
    We get the Denver TV channels up here in northern Wyoming and there have been several reports of police impersonators stopping women. The best advice given in this instance is to drive to an "active", well lit area or, better yet, a police station and then stop for the probable law enforcement officer. Calling 911 and checking if there is a legit officer trying to stop you was another good idea. A legit officer will generally have no problem with this, especially with a woman driver at night. This scenario has a good solution whereas the first instance I mentioned doesn't as far as I can see.

Cloudpeak

I've had this discussion with my wife... yes, that's the best advice. All in all, risking a "failure to stop" citation is better than dying or being raped. If you just don't stop, eventually other cars will be in on the action, which is also good confirmation that it's real.

For whatever reason, Denver seems to have a lot of these police impersonators. Between 2000 and 2003 there were 14 people arrested for committing crimes while impersonating an officer. Including one who was pulling over women, making them take sobriety tests (he had the lights on his car and everything) and then raping them.

There's been no new news on the subject of your original post. But you can bet that it will happen again if they don't catch the guys. It really went pretty flawlessly for the BG's... They took the 72 year old guy, tied him up on the floor and then took their time robbing him. It gave them fairly unprecedented control over the guys house.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

1. Look outside for a squad car. Sure it may be unmarked which leads to the second idea.
    2. Verify an officer was sent by phone call.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

this brings up a seperate point, but somthing that is to be mentioned. there is a new bounty hunter show on tv, and they dont need warrants, they can kick in your door and shoot you if you present with a firearm. what do you do if they are ununiformed and try to pull this trick?

basically it went down like this on tv.

knock knock bounty hunters. civillian asks to see a warrant, they say they dont need a warrant to come in, civilian denies entry, bounty hunters kick in door and grab him by the throat and take him outside.

im sorry but bounty hunter or not if i see you kicking my door down and grabbing my buddy and carrying him off!!???!!

VIP Member
    Well I'm not wanted by the law so bounty hunter gets slammed with about four or five 155 grain hydra shocks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by russell_pta View Post
    knock knock bounty hunters. civillian asks to see a warrant, they say they dont need a warrant to come in, civilian denies entry, bounty hunters kick in door and grab him by the throat and take him outside.

im sorry but bounty hunter or not if i see you kicking my door down and grabbing my buddy and carrying him off!!???!!

Bounty Hunters cannot enter any home other than the home of the fugitive. In general, they can enter the property of a fugitive without a warrant, but there has to be no question that the fugitive is there. The rules vary by state, but the best way to avoid this one is to not skip bail. They also are not required to read miranda rights after arrest. But to be clear, they can't enter the home of family or friends in such a way.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Mmmm kay,

Lots of good points brought up, but back to the original problem...

Guy knocks at door appears to be a officer with a warrant. Without opening the door, how do you verify?

Dial 911 and try to get verification from them?

Dial your local Police station non emergency line and have them verify?

Stay quiet and hope they go away?

Right now in Denver if you have no reason to believe that you should be getting served with a warrant, and opening the door to identify the officer, car, and so forth could be bad juju.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

With a no-knock warrant, you don't get to read it first, and you won't have time to call 911 and verify the validity. As a retired LEO who's been in on those things, it scares me to death thinking it could happen to me or one of my daughters after a simple typo error. Hopefully, the CI or surveillance officers will be there to verify the address, but often they're not available. Try a legal resistance after being woken up, and guaranteed, you're dead.

entry points......

Everyone has a phone....call 911 and ask for the capt on shift~
    stay as far away from the door as possible, be prepared~
    if it IS a warrented case, the capt will assist you, if it ISN'T the capt will assist you.........and your 12ga will be your best friend until the real police arrive!

If they are for real you will know it no LEO serves a warrant alone (he can't watch you and search)he will most likely have a couple of black and whites along with plain clothed officers.
    Ask to see an ID and a badge is not an ID all LEO are given photo IDs check it.
    Ask to see the warrant if its for real they will show it to you.

As for asking to see the warrant... it appears as if the police are allowed to 'secure the location' first. This would not have helped in the Denver Incident.

I agree with what others have said. I think should I ever have the misfortune of having a warrant served, that I will not answer the door and call 911. Perhaps I'll shout "I'm calling 911" or some such thing through the door.

I don't mind too terribly if I lose a door and not my life.

The no-knock is a hopeless situation from a home defense perspective.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    The no-knock is a hopeless situation from a home defense perspective.

+1. Very scary!

I do not do anything illegal, so I would presume something was wrong. If there was a single LEO I would not open the door, and instead call 911 and hold my gun in hand guarding the door and wait to see what 911 would tell me.

If there where multi in uniform LEOs, at the door, while something must be wrong, I would presume the warrant was correct; I would ask them to hold while I called 911 to confirm, and allow them in.

In most cases, they are not going to allow you to close the door, and call 911, so its a hard call, but if that where the case, if there where multi in uniform LEOs , Id let them in, and stand down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links