Potential ugly situation

This is a discussion on Potential ugly situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First things first, this is potential, I strongly doubt the situation will escalate to this point. I live in an off-campus apartment complex that caters ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential ugly situation

Potential ugly situation

First things first, this is potential, I strongly doubt the situation will escalate to this point.

I live in an off-campus apartment complex that caters to students as an alternative to the dorms. The apartments are set up as suites, with four individual rooms sharing a common living room and kitchen. The four individuals typically do not know each other prior to move-in, and are matched up randomly.

I got a sour apple for a roomate. She's heavily involved in drugs (marijuana only from what I've seen) and drug dealers are constantly in and out of my apartment. She gets high, and steals my food, beverages and cooking utensils. I've talked to her numerous times about stopping this behaivior, but it continues.

In the next few days, I will be bringing up the situation to the apartment complex manager (the illicit drug use and larceny). Due to the age and maturity level of most students living here, 'roomate complaints' are so common that they're generally ignored. I will inform the manager that I will involve the police if we are still forced to live together for more than a week after filing the complaint.

Where the ugly situation comes in is the drug dealers. If one of them (an invited guest by the problem roomate) decides to attempt to assault me in my apartment, am I authorized to respond with deadly force under the castle doctrine? They're pretty large guys, and I'm average sized (I'm worried that the law would consider deadly force excessive defense because I'm not female or physically handicapped). None of my roomates are aware that I'm armed and the apartment complex is a 'gun-free zone' (by policy, not law).

I highly doubt it will escalate this high, but because I'm taking action soon, I want to know before hand what to do if SHTF.

2. Remove Ads

I lived in jax for 10 yrs, moved when a neighbor called at 2 am and asked if I was ok because there was a dude trying to break in my house at the beach. The officers that responded asked why I didnt shoot him..I said I would have but he was outside..they said "we dont mind that at all" So 14 years ago the cops down there were friendly to those with weapons.

Now remember if she has drugs around in the same place you are living, then you are also an accomplice. The police will look at this way..you know she does drugs, so they will assume you know she has drugs in the apartment..also the will assume because drug dealers are in the apartment that they are selling inside the apartment. Compound this with the fact you have a weapon.
    I would be dealing with this asap, cause if you shoot someone in self defense they are gona assume you are lying and its a drug deal gone bad.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I agree, go see management and get out of there ASAP. If management gives you the run-around and won't give you another place or let you out of your lease then get some legal counsel. See if your school has some legal aid type help for their students, a lot of schools have this sort of help to deal with issues such as this.

Also keep your door locked and your gun locked up if you aren't there.

Don't wait until the management does something. Get OUT of there. BEST case is you're accosted by one of her low life friends...worst case is you're caught up in a firefight between her suppliers and SWAT when they serve a no knock warrant
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

It's time to leave and seek other living arrangements. You are living in a very dangerous situation and could find yourself "involved" unintentionally if the police were to come visit unexpectedly.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

yep, id say get going while the goings still good.(before the shtf)
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    If you know for a fact they are keeping drugs there,first and formost GET OUT. Get your stuff,stay with a friend for a little bit. Call the police and report everything you said

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Time to leave Dodge, with NFA...
    (No forwarding address)

Bad thing is, no matter how this thing plays out if/when they get 'busted by the man' ,there could be repurcussions for you as they might see you as the one who 'ratted' them out,..so I'd be careful,and if you have to interact with the folks you're having issues with it, don't show ANY hostility.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Start a paper trail IMMEDIATELY! In addition to talking to them, I would include an e-mail and a registered letter.

I would also not wait to talk to the police.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    If you know for a fact they are keeping drugs there,first and formost GET OUT.
    If pride of not being run out of "your place" is what's keeping you, rethink that. In this case, pride can get you killed. All of the above warnings should give you pause. Drugs ... addicts ... weapons ... theft ... possible other risks to yourself. Nothing good is coming down the pike.

Your instincts are correct, based on what you've indicated. Exit, stage left. Now. Have a couple of friends help you pack up in an hour, then leave without a forwarding address or phone. Your health and safety depends upon it.

Watch your "six," as well. They might well see you as the one who ratted them out. If they're also students at the school, you're going to have a rough time with them, unless they're taken into custody and not released. Be extremely cautious for awhile. Think as to whether any of them know your class schedule, where you hang out. Possibly take that risk as cause for switching classes/times, if possible. Depending on the nature of the "friends" of your roommate's, steps like this might well be smart ones to take.

Ditto on speaking with police. Get it in writing, everything you've seen and said about what's going on with them. You'll be the one who brought them down, yes. Be prepared for that, if that's the path you take.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I appreciate the advice and I agree with all of you.

Unfortunatly, I'm relatively new in town (six months) and do not have any place to stay other than here. I don't have much money to get a hotel room.

Thanks to MLK day, the first opportunity I have to start the paper trail with management is Tuesday. I do not want to call the police while I'm still living here due to the threat of retaliation. Also, forgive me if I gave this impression in the initial post, but they're small time dealers. I doubt the police will find any evidence because they usually smoke it all as soon as they get here.

Once I'm removed from the situation or the roomate is, the police will be contacted. Until then, I feel it would do more harm than good to get the police involved.

Again, thank you all.
    Last edited by credy; January 20th, 2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: misspelling

Is there no way you could raise high heck with management about how their not concerned for your safety and you need somewhere to stay? Couldn't hurt your case,all they can do is say no. I know your new,but no friends/girlfreinds/relatives at all? Man,I'm sorry. Your in a tough situation,things hopefully will go better for you,and I sincerely wish you the best. Any relatives/friends(parents,whatever) that can loan ya some bucks for a week or two?

Here is a letter I'm about to submit to management:

Good afternoon,

My name is xxxxxxxxx, I currently reside at xxxxxxxxxxx.

I'm contacting you now to report a violation of 83.52, F.S. occuring in Apartment xxx.

For the past few weeks, xxxxxxx has been blatantly using illicit drugs within the confines of Apartment xxx, allowing drug dealers access to the common room of the apartment. Under the influence of the illicit drugs, she has failed to maintain a clean environment within the confines of the apartment and has stolen the food and cooking utensils of her roomates.

Despite several efforts on my part to solve the dispute, her actions continue.

I wish to be seperated from this problem as soon as possible. I am reporting this issue now and intend to visit local xxxxxxx representatives on Tuesday, Jan 22.
    Last edited by credy; January 20th, 2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: further censorship of Apartment complex name

VIP Member
    Don't bother with the letter. She is breaking the law! Just go to the police TODAY! Go to the station in person, tell them about the drugs and the drugs only, they won't care about pots and pans. Let them know that she has dealers coming in and out and that you are afraid. Tell them not to reveal you name as the informant. It will come out at trial but by then she will be long gone from your appt. Again, GO TO THE POLICE TODAY!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links