Third in place

This is a discussion on Third in place within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You go to bank to pay in a small check - won't take long.! You are however in a queue for teller, #3 position - ...

Thread: Third in place

Assistant Administrator

Third in place

You go to bank to pay in a small check - won't take long.!

You are however in a queue for teller, #3 position - and in front is a lady with a child of about 6 - and a guy up front is leaning real close to bench which has no security glass (common with my local banks).

You notice he moves right hand to pocket and pulls out a piece - best you can tell. He leans even further forward but you cannot hear any words. The teller appears more than a little distressed.

It appears to be a robbery situation.

What might you do?? If anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note - here I can and do carry when I go to the bank.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Im not doing Squat the banks are insured and do not wnat you to do anything...

But now if its turns deadly all bets are off and he might just kill you all so them im slapping leather and making sure i get out and he dont

Assistant Administrator
    I guess one thing on my mind is - safety of the teller. Tho sure as heck I have zero inclination to wanna ''get involved''.

The BG could be all bluff - could even be a repro/imitation gun. But if he is one of those who is not phased by shooting folks then - maybe he will shoot teller and then turn to ''dispose of'' witnesses!!!

No easy answer - that goes without saying
    Chris - P95

1. Discretely pull out my weapon and get closer to BG.

2. Shoot BG in back of the head at least twice.

3. Withdraw $20,000 to $30,000 for my lawyer, he likes cash for some reason.

In reality, from the scenario written above with no other implied meanings, I would do nothing more than be a good witness. Teller gives him cash and he leaves. Maybe I would try to get myself into a better position of cover or escape.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

You notice he moves right hand to pocket and pulls out a piece - best you can tell.

Maybe its a cell phone and him talking on it irritates the teller. Point is, cant tell what the hell is happening here; good, bad or indifferent. Do what you always do, observe. Maybe be just a little more observant now. Make some mental notes as to the 'customers' appearance, hieght wieght, ethnicity, garb, etc. Depending on what he does, act accordingly.
    Keep in mind, IF this is a robbery, he probably is not alone. Someone else in the lobby with you is an accomplice. How bad do you wanna get a gunfight going now, only id'ing one of multiple adversaries?

Dan

Drive through. Avoid problem.

As far as this scenario as described, I don't see justification for action, yet. What if there's a plain clothes security guard in the lobby? If he sees two armed guys in line, chances are he'll think you are an accomplice. I think I'd be moving away discretely while continuing to observe.

SSKC

Administrator

It would Be Interesting To Know

It would Be Interesting To Know exactly what percentage of armed bank robberies that "go down" in the United States actually result in a bank teller or patron or multiple bank employees getting shot and/or killed.
    I'm "best guessing" that the actual figures are extremely low.
    That would be due to the fact that most/all banks have a policy of total compliance with the BGs demands.
    A "brave" teller will slip in a $dye pack$...I guess.
    Of course, that does not mean that the particular robbery that you're present for will not be the sad exception to those low averages.
    I would honestly need to "play it" as I saw it.
    I'm not dodging the question but, I just can't answer it.
    You can be absolutely sure though that "every breath you take and every move you make" is going to be video recorded on at least 10 different cameras and from as many angles.
    The entire TV viewing population of the United States is (sooner rather than later) going to know on the "Evening News" if you screwed up "Big Time"...or not.
    If you DO act you'll either be a Lonely Leper or a Happy Hero...one or the other.
    Good Thread P95Carry
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    observe and report. Unless things go bad, you may be just making the situation worse for everyone.

Assistant Administrator
    I'm not dodging the question but, I just can't answer it.
    QK - spot on! - this is true for all of us - as ever there is no ''right'' answer - tho maybe we can dream up plenty of wrong ones.

As I often say - ''circumstances alter events'' and so no mythical scenario thru description alone will suffice - too much room for conjecture.

So as with previous ''situations'' - just something to provoke thought and gain opinions from others. I have found now and again with our ''scenario games'' that almost every time, someone else adds something that makes me realize - ''gee, I didn't think of that'' and so there is some benefit accrued.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Leave the bank, once outside, pull out cell phone and get ready to make phone call.

And find a safer bank branch to do my business.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan
    Leave the bank, once outside, pull out cell phone and get ready to make phone call.

And find a safer bank branch to do my business.
    Or better yet, have your 911-speed dial set, and just tag it while standing there.

Links