Bump in the night, now what?

This is a discussion on Bump in the night, now what? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 I like the Chuck Norris method. I'll lye in wait with the mossy 500 while on the phone with 911. Behind ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bump in the night, now what?

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    I like the Chuck Norris method. I'll lye in wait with the mossy 500 while on the phone with 911.
    Behind Chuck Norris' beard, there is not a chin, there is only another mossberg 500.

Seriously though...

He's got some kids to worry about... it's not possible for a normal loving parent to let their kids hang in the wind during a time of perceived danger. If he didn't have the kids to look out for I'd be all for laying in wait.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Well that was just my approach. If I had kid and was planning on clearing a house it needs to be done in pairs.

Your bedroom should be the closest to the entranceway to your house, for more reasons than defense, if you've never had teenage kids before. You and your wife are the gatekeepers. Then, the safe room can be the most remote from the entryway, and the most mature child can know the whereabouts of a concealed, loaded weapon in the safe room, and also cell phone protocols. A much greater danger to them is fire, and an absolute, direct protocol should be in place for this, along with tons of working smoke alarms.

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Mans best friend..a dog. My brittany may not be a raging drooling berserk guard dog but he knows the difference between any family member noise and that which isnt supposed to be there. So if its a little whine late at nite he wants out to say hi and mooch a snack from whoever is raiding the fridge.. a low half bark and the gun comes out and he will be first out the bedroom door.
    I also have a Brittany (and know of at least one other individual on the forum who does). We have 6 people in my house total. The dog is keenly aware of what we all sound like when moving through the house (their incredible smell sense probably has something to do with that, too). In situations where our teenager has brought over friends I've seen how she reacts.

One time in particular, our neighbors house got broken into. My warning on my end was my brittany freaking out and -- get this -- hiding behind me. Rather insistantly. It was enough to raise my hackles and get me to check things out! And to realize that my dog expects me to deal with any real danger.

We use a security system that also goes "instant on" very loud when a window or secured door opens. We have two "unsecured doors" where the alarm doesn't go off instantly but instead it emits a steady "beeeeeeep" in my bedroom unless the person entering doesn't enter the code within 20 seconds, then the siren goes off.

Everyone knows in my house how the security system works and they know that if that alarm goes off "stay where you are".

We also have three "panic buttons" throughout the house that will summon police, fire or ambulance with the push of a single button. Also two remote control "panic buttons" on key-Fobs.

In a case where I suspect someone might be inside and have bypassed the security... My first move after grabbing the gun is to hit a panic button... this informs everyone in the house to "Stay where you are" and I can begin the process of checking things out while the insanely loud siren blares throughout the house and the cops are already on the way. I live two blocks from the police station, so I don't experience the kind of 20-30 minute waits (or longer!) that a lot of folks seem to.

I consider a good security system essential for a large family. It has a dual effect of freaking out intruders and communicating something to your family no matter where they are in the house.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Wow, I suspected I was asking the right group and I am! I've learned a lot from all the inputs.

I've decided (at least)...
    -I have to go to the little kids first but I thought of the route and process. My wife has to be alerted, have a light, cell phone, and I wish she had a gun but she wont'. I leave the bedroom and the kitchen garage & basement door (leading to the teens downstairs) are all right there. I should be able to check the garage door in a second and move down the hall way to the little kid's two rooms, on the way I pass the short hall to the front door; do a visual and keep moving to the little kids' room; get the boys and move them to the furthest back, the girls room.

-at this point it all depends on what's going on. I hunker down there but the wife is alone? the teens are downstairs and un alerted?

we have a small house so if anyones inside it's likely I'm going to bump into them on the way to the little kid's rooms unless they've made it to the basement. That tells me I have to expect to meet them on the way so it's best to not have the wife with me.

-I can't afford the alarms systems right now but I think I should at least price one that would set off an alarm on windows and doors, that could be turned on at bed time.

-I believe the best action is for my family to all stay put. They're too spread out to begin with in too small a house to try and move them into one location. It's too likely we'll bump into any BG while doing that.

-Must decide on how to "alert" everyone, if even a simple air horn but would had to blow it for any sound, and it seems a bad idea to wait until you know it's something bad to blow it because at that point you need to be working your gun/light. An alarm system is good here.

-I have to discuss this with my family and to train the two teens to us a weapon effectively. For them to get to my guns in the basement they'd have to go by the stairway so again, if they move they're very likely to bump into the BG, it would be best for them to have a gun and flashlight in their room. That'll take some serious serious though, discussion and training before I'd consider that.

-The fire alarm was a GREAT comment and I was shocked to think "I don't have any!!!" I'm stopping on the way home! Far greater odds of that than any BG scenario!

-The more I think through this the more I "feel" (not always the best way to make decisions) that due to the very small size of our house and the way the children are spread out up and down stairs, that I HAVE to move to check it out and protect if necessary. The teens and the wife are in a better situation than the 4 little ones.

-I think powerful flashlights and even an airhorn in some of the childrens rooms could be good!

Anyway, you've all given me a lot to think about and I really appreciate the input! I'd welcome any additional thoughts you'd have!

I got my wife to have her own gun in the following manner:

(pre-arranged with her)
    We conducted a test.

She ran from the kitchen (downstairs) to the bedroom (upstairs), locked herself in and called my cell (to simulate 911).

In our case we were lucky, we needed to replace the door jam and part of the wall in the bedroom anyways.

I gave her a 2 second head start to simulate breaking the sliding glass door.

I had the door kicked down and her in a bear hug before she got to her phone.

Along those lines, if the BG is not a burglar, and is in fact a deranged murderer/kidnapper/rapist/etc, you will bump into them, faster than you know.

One of the things not too many people take into consideration, is that burglary is not your only concern, and burglars that do not flee as soon as they hear you are up and moving about are very dangerous.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Getting everyone rounded up and to a safe part of the house can take an eternity. A true bump in the night type deal, where everyone is asleep, and you just have to worry about getting up, alert and armed in in time, you may be OK as long as you watch your fire. My 2 kids' bedrooms are at the end of the hall and our room is before theirs, so I can position myself between them and the bad guy if they come in through one of the doors. Yep, a small gun vault next to the bed, your trusty piece and a sure fire are what you need.

I let my German Shepherd clear the house while I stay locked in my room, armed. It is such a strong instinct in the breed- patrolling, checking the perimeter. What they do with what they find depends on the quality of the dog's genetics, socialization, and training. I keep my mutt dog in the room with me till the house has been inspected :). I imagine this can work well for a house full of children, as a dog moves quietly (if you dampen the tags), doesn't alarm kids, and will be more thorough than you could be on a first pass.

If I had kids, I would consider letting them have a dog sleep in their room, actually.

An intercom system might be nice to be able to verbally check on everyone at one time.

just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by ree View Post
    This has certainly got to be some folklore that's regularly passed on here and elsewhere. Depending on the circumstances, I know my local LEOs regularly clear a house with one or two officers. I've witnessed it firsthand. There was no fear or concern about having to do it undermanned. I'm sure some LEO's departments might have a 3+ policy, and it might actually be the preferred approach, but I highly doubt it's a universal mandate.
    I agree that 3+ LEOs is probably unavailable alot of times due to manpower issues in most depts. What circumstances did you witness them "clearing" the house?If it is a reported burglary(homeowner came home and discoverd), I can see one or 2 in that house. I don't see 1 or 2 officers clearing a house when the report is that the intruder is still present other than manpower issues in the department. Some departments might only have 1 or 2 officers on the road. I would clear the house in those circumstances, but I would definitely have fear and concern. 3 officers is minimum needed to clear house with minimal risk to officers. OMO

I disagree on the theory of not haveing a weapon mounted light. With anything self defense related training is required. A weapon light will illuminate enough for ID without sweeping a target. This allows you to use your other hand for grabbing little ones or directing traffic when they are running arround. TRAINING is the key. You train with your weapon and you train your family how to react. Learn to use the weapon mounted light correctly and you will be better served by it.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

I described my home security system above, but tonight had a bit of an epiphany! Much of my house is controlled by x-10 automation. Many lights, both inside and out, garage door, sprinklers, yard lights, etc.

I just discovered tonight an open relay on my Security system, and here's my plan. Mainly just because it'll be fun and is likely to scare the holy hell out of any intruder.

Using that relay, I can hook to an interface to an X-10 receiver, which will send a code to my centralized X-10 controller. Using that, I can send pages, flash all my lights (inside and out!), turn the sprinklers on, move the garage door up and down, open and close curtains... you name it.

In short, cause all chaos to breakout in my house should a panic button be hit or a breakin occurs. It would look like a scene from Close Encounters or Poltergeist and is bound to be more than a little bit disorienting and shocking.

On the other hand, I can use it to simply light up the entire house, or darken the entire house. All of this while the loud inside siren blares at 90db.

I'm not sure if it would be useful... gonna have to try it first. But it sure would be fun.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links