Is your gun holstered at night?

This is a discussion on Is your gun holstered at night? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you are sleeping, and your handgun is either on the night table or somewhere within easy reach, is it holstered? For some guns, this ...

View Poll Results: When you are sleeping, is your HD gun holstered?

Voters
459. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

228 49.67%
  • No

231 50.33%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your gun holstered at night?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Is your gun holstered at night?

When you are sleeping, and your handgun is either on the night table or somewhere within easy reach, is it holstered?

For some guns, this may not be as big an issue, like a 1911 or a Sig as they have an external safety/decocker. But for a Glock or XD, it is more of an issue. Especially if a child can come in.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It is pretty much always holstered. If for nothing else, it helps protect the gun and whatever the gun is sitting on.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    My XD is not holstered when I sleep. It is on my dresser where I need to actually get out of bed (and be somewhat awake) to retrieve it. I want to be able to be ready to use the weapon with one hand while I grab a flashlight/phone with the other.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    When you are sleeping, and your handgun is either on the night table or somewhere within easy reach, is it holstered?

For some guns, this may not be as big an issue, like a 1911 or a Sig as they have an external safety/decocker. But for a Glock or XD, it is more of an issue. Especially if a child can come in.
    Just wondering how a decocker makes a difference?

And FWIW, mine usually stays holstered.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just wondering how a decocker makes a difference?
    Just a bit harder to pull the trigger. On a Glock, it would seem with less pounds needed to pull the trigger, one might get an AD if it were not holstered and you were reaching for it under a stressful situation.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Mine is holstered. I move around in my sleep - I'd hate to knock my gun off the nightstand and have it fall on something and BANG! wake up that way. If I even woke up... Plus it takes half a second to unholster (if that) and it will help wake me up. I'm not worried about the half second since I'm upstairs. Maybe if I was in an apartment it would be a different story. Just my $0.02

Austin

It's only in a holster when it's on me.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Its holstered on my nightstand. Didn't used to be,...however since I adopted my two beautiful kittens, I firgured it best to have it in at least a holster,...they haven't come near it thankfully

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Hell no! Let that puppy out to breathe at night. Gives the holster a chance to dry out too. You're just asking for rust if you carry all day, then leave the gun in the damp leather. When I go to bed, it gets relieved of it's binding and goes to sleep on the the head of my bed.

A cocked and locked .45 in a stiff leather pocket holster (mitch rosen), at the head of the bed. Lovingly and ceremoniously transferred from an IWB each and every evening. A holster is an additional "soft safety" in my mind (you will probably be grabbing for it in the dark in the midst of a total adrenalin rush), and a pocket holster is almost instantaneously able to be rid of, but a good one keeps your finger off the bang button when you are desperately grabbing for it in the sleepy dark.
    I don't think it is ever a good idea to have a statically located (maybe you look at it once a month?), loaded handgun in the house, when little kids are around. My youngest now is nineteen. With little kids around, I would keep it status two at night, chamber empty. The 1911 in condition two is actually very safe around little ones, since even my wife who is an avid shooter and 1911 fan, still has trouble racking the slide.
    Cocked and locked handguns are like houseplants, they need daily attention, you need to ALWAYS know where they are and who has access to them.

Assistant Administrator
    I will post again what I have posted before - OK it's just me.

My piece is on the floor ... resting grips on a book partly so the laser grips switch is not activated - plus it is oriented just right. It is in such a position that an arm dropped down from under the covers finds it easily - blind. The manouver is surrupticious and hard to see also.

I do NOT use the nightstand ... it is cluttered with ''stuff'' - and last thing I want is to fumble and screw up! I do not see nightstand (personally) as the ideal place at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member
    Yes it stays holstered, I have to get up several times a night to let the @$%# dogs out, they have their nights and days mixed up, so I grab the gun when I take them out, and if its in the holster, its ready to go with me.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Just a bit harder to pull the trigger. On a Glock, it would seem with less pounds needed to pull the trigger, one might get an AD if it were not holstered and you were reaching for it under a stressful situation.
    Not really.... but OK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Mine stays in a nylon slide next to the clock. The clock slightly illuminates it. Next to that are my flashlight, mag, phone, ink stick, and dog tag/Star.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Gun (S&W M&P .40) is in a gunny sack holster, with an empty chamber.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links