Defensive Carry banner

Real Life SD Situation and the Aftermath!!

8K views 55 replies 33 participants last post by  Stirling XD 
#1 ·
I read this on another forum and thought it belonged here as well.

Posted by RoadRep on GLOCKTALK 01-09-2003. copy and pasted here.

A guy and his lady friend are walking down a street after eating a nice steak dinner on Friday night. The area is busy and the only parking available was a nice walk away, not a problem on a beautiful October night.

So the guy, who has had a lot of firearms courses notices a van slowly driving the other direction on the street. The guy notices the deep gurgling sound of the exhaust, but really doesn't think much of it. Then he notices a couple of thugs crossing the street; said GTer is uncomfortable because he and his lady friend seemed to get too much attention from the guys crossing the street. One of those "it just doesn't feel right" type of things.

So the couple continue walking toward the parking garage, when the GTer notices the gurgling sound of that van slowly passing by them. Then the GTer, who regularly uses windows to watch his 6, notices the two thugs that crossed the street coming up behind them. One of the thugs is clearly holding his right hand suspiciously around his belt buckle area. Then said GTer notices the van stopped on the side of the street just ahead and the 2 thugs behind them are getting closer.

GTer tells his lady friend that they are going to duck into any open business they see, but there were not any available. Just as they were coming up on the van, 2 ****-eaters jump out of the van and block the sidewalk. Gter draws his Kimber .45, and moves to engage the thugs 5 feet behind them; the intention was to go to low ready and size up the situation. The two from the van did not appear to be armed and one behind them was already spotted as armed.

So GTer turns and starts to shout at the two thugs on foot when the armed one begins to pull a revolver (SW .38 special). GTer, had the jump because the thugs in the rear did not see him remove his pistol from his daytimer style carry (they had been where alcohol was sold, but he did not drink).

The GTer always, always, always shoots failure drill at the range and trains at least twice a month.

As the BG #1 pulls the pistol, the GTer puts two rounds COM and moves up and puts one in the eye area. There was absolutely no reaction to the chest shots in the BG. The second thug turns to his falling comrade and tries to get his pistol, as GTer puts 2 slugs in his COM and one in the side of the head, GTer didn't know he hit BG #2 with the first 2 rounds. The second thug didn't have time to get turned around to face GTer, and didn't go down from the two to the chest, so said GTer puts one is the side of his head. Both third shots, at 5 feet, were very messy. Luckily for GTer, the second thug did get his hands on the pistol (a fact that would greatly help him in the future). So after the two in the rear were neutralized, GTer turned to check on the two from the van who had started moving his way. When GTer turned to engage them, gun at low ready, they turned and ran to the van got in and the van sped off.

The thugs were linked to other rapes and 2 abductions of similar method, and had sheets as long as your arm. (funny how that wasn't admissable in court) The thugs from the van looked more pissed than scared, and GTer would encounter them later in life. Turns out they were members of the Gangsta Disciples. The Gangsta's don't take lightly to seeing their bro.s being shot down in the street.

The aftermath: Said GTer was charged with manslaughter (the jury was given other options too) and was found not guilty by a jury of his peers. Deliberations took less than 3 hours. Some of the city council PERSONS believed that failure drill represented too much force and GTer should have not made the last shot on the guys. Of course, if he had not made the third shots in the failure drill, the thugs would be alive today. So city council PERSON, pressures the DA and viola, the decision is made to charge him.

The cost to GTer to stay out of prison was $18,000+. That works out to be $3k per shot, or $9k per bad guy.

The situation doesn't often end as well in his dreams, as it did in real time, but he never can quite get it behind him. He carries a strange sense of guilt.

The girlfriend that GTer was trying to protect, broke up with him 3 weeks later. She just never could get over it and could not understand the violent nature of his counterattack. She dumped him, which broke his heart, but she was a very good witness for his defense, and for that he is eternally grateful.

The follow up encounters (turns out during a trial, it isn't hard to get the home address of the defendant) with the Gangsta Disciples were a little better; and no charges were placed in those instances.

Sorry if GTer wasn't armed with and AK, but then they would never have picked us to attack.

The morals of the story: Live with what happened, or with what may have happened- his girlfriend being abducted..... It is better to be tried by 12.... When the SHTF, you fall back on your training in automatic mode. So train well and often.

*pause*

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but greg brought it up. I started out telling it in third person because I really don't want to sound like I am proud of it or bragging and I don't mean to be. I did what I had to do and was vindicated.

Yes it did happen. October 1998. The whole thing exhausted a lot of my savings, and some credit card debt that has since been paid for. The PD Commander on the scene allowed me to go home that night and to come in the following week with a lawyer to make a statement. Everything was clear and obvious to them that night, some officers even commended me.

My initial intentions were to confront them while in the low ready, and hopefully shout them off. As I turned around, the guy had his hand on his gun and was pulling it. I am sure that if he had seen my gun sooner, he would have it pointed at me. And there is the possibility that he drew because he saw mine, but had he stuck his hands up or ran off, I would not have shot. That and their priors convinced the PD that I had acted properly. There were 3 witnesses approaching from behind the van ****-eaters that saw what the van did, and the whole thing. They told the police that night, I had to do it. When they blocked us in, I had no choice but to act.

I was handcuffed and locked in a patrol car for a while, where I puked up that fine steak I had just eaten. Odd feeling when it is over.

The DA prosecuted under political pressure. I did not spend any time in jail, because it was only after the political pressure did the DA decide to prosecute. I surrendered and had bail arranged before we went in. The PD were really nice to me, and they even indicated they thought I was getting a ****ty deal. The Assistant DA that handled the case did not seem to be too interested in getting a conviction. The investigating officers were better witnesses for me than the state. She (assistant DA) allowed my lawyer to seat my dream jury (some code words there) and she let him get some stuff out. At one time my attorney indicated that she wasn't pushing it because of the way she conducted herself.

Girlfriend: Leslie was a nurse and one of those "I could never hurt anyone" types; I am a nurse and we heal...blah blah blah. Another long story. She did not know I was armed that night, or most nights we were together. I found out early that she didn't warm up to guns, so I didn't push it. No huge loss, the timing is what hurt. With all else going on, the last thing I needed was her breaking up. It was not until the trial that I really knew what she would do on the stand. What she did on the stand was enough to settle it for me. I hold no grudges against her, never did. But I won't date another nurse.

As far as the terminal ballistics of the .45. In classes my failure drill from concealed holster generally run in the 1.5 to 2 second area. I doubt any handgun caliber will create adequate results in less than two seconds. I just opened up like I had trained to do. I was going with the 3rd shot, unless the guy was on the ground out of it. When I say there was no reaction to the first two rounds, I meant his head was still where I expected it to be. I never have planned to stop and fully asses the vital signs of an attacker. My plan has always been to do the failure drill if the pumpkin was there and it was. It all happens so fast, you wouldn't believe it.

Since I was innocent, I can still carry.

As for the follow up visits from the Gangstas, I prefer not to get into that right now. Very long ugly stories. On 2 possibly 3 (the 3rd I spotted them and called the police and kept riding around the parking lot, the police came and ran them off so I don't know what their intentions were or if they were there to visit me) different occasions there were young gentlemen waiting for me when I got off work, once was an attempt to kick in my front door while I was home. I highly recommend the Remington 870.

I moved after the initial incident, and the phone company messed up and my 'unlisted' number got listed. So I moved again. A Lt. with the gang squad said that after a while, the membership would turn over to the point they would forget about me. That officer was at my trial and alerted me to potential retribution. There were a Gangstas at my trial. Relatives of the deceased I guess. I currently live in another city with an unlisted number. It has been 4 years, so I hope the follow up visits will cease. Everyday when I step out to get in my vehicle, I stop and scan the parking lot real good. My experiences have served to give me an edge and to keep me on my toes, and to keep me awake at night. Better than the alternative.

If I may offer one piece of advice to anyone who will listen:

If you are ever involved in a shooting, resist all urges to look at the guy after he is down. Move out of the area, and don't ever look at them. You want to remember them as a threat, not as a corpse.

Thanks for letting me get if off my chest.

*pause*

Just don't say a word after it happens. Tell the officers you will cooperate, but you are in no condition to make a statement. Every word you say will cost you money.

If you are in the right, and it was a good shoot, you won't have much of an attorney fee. Just for one to meet with you and go in to make a statement. Your range will probably know a good lawyer for this purpose.

I would be willing to be most pro gun lawyers will allow you to pay as you can.

My problems came from politics. Basically, a democrat council woman did not like the idea of me engaging her constituents. Other than that, the PD would not have recommended charges. I thought I was free and clear until an investigator called me and told me what was going on. He suggested I retain a lawyer and to give him, the officer, the lawyers name so we could arrange a time for me to come in and surrender myself. That made it a lot smoother.

Cooperate with the PD as much as possible. If it is obvious your shooting was just, they won't push you for any answers. In fact, they may even suggest that you not say anything without a lawyer present.

The officers on the beat sees what happens to victims and are usually glad when the intended victim gets the upper hand.

#2 ·
Good Post.

GF was clearly not his type... he's not into the victim type.

While he was out a lot of money, he and his GF survived what could have been their last night on earth.

#3 ·
Thanks for the story, I hope that guy is truly recovering from his life or death fight. I’m glad he survived the politics and the retribution of the council-woman’s constituents.:ticking:

A prepaid legal defense program may be in order for anyone who is willing to defend themselves. Think of it as life insurance for your savings account.

This true to life event is exactly why I carry. His experience just refreshed my passion to remain armed at all times.

Thanks again, Stay safe.:congrats::congrats::congrats:

#4 ·
To me, that is my worse nightmare. Here are several guys intent on killing you, yet you fight back and kill a few of them. Then THEY are pissed that you fought back and retribution follows. Just doesn't make sense.

On top of that, some councilwoman decides she doesn't like you defending yourself against some of her criminal constituents??? :aargh4:

What if you had a family? Kids? It just doesn't get much worse than that?

I wonder if you could sue that councilwoman like what happened to Nifong? No reason to put you through a trial and ruin your life more than it was already affected.

I hope things settle down and you get your life back together. So sorry for what happened.

#5 ·
I wonder if you could sue that councilwoman like what happened to Nifong? No reason to put you through a trial and ruin your life more than it was already affected.

I hope things settle down and you get your life back together. So sorry for what happened.
This incident was 10 years ago and the post was 5 years ago. I'm sure the guy has moved on. I doubt if he would have won a suit back then. I don't think he could now either but that would depend upon where the incident happened.

#7 ·
Sounds like the kind of guy I want on my 6.......

#8 ·
Wow

just...wow. I think merly reading his account of that night has given ME ptsd. My Wife and I do OK but we could not afford 18K. I am going to look into criminal defence insurance.-Jay

#11 ·
just...wow. I think merly reading his account of that night has given ME ptsd. My Wife and I do OK but we could not afford 18K. I am going to look into criminal defence insurance.-Jay
Hmmm...

My attorney out of court = $80/hr = 225 hours = 5.6 weeks = $18k

I'm sure his assistants, another attorney, etc. would be involved, drastically reducing the amount of time he's working on my case.

I think he got a relative bargain. I would expect to pay much more.

I don't think this guy needed much of an attorney to win quite frankly. But it'd be nice to have the money (via insurance or otherwise) to pay for a good attorney when needed...

#9 ·
It sounds like the girl friend never got the fact that SHE WAS THE TARGET! They may have wanted money from the man, but they wanted a lot more from the woman. She may not like firearms, but one saved her from a terrible fate......

#10 ·
OK

This is just a nasty situation in every way, but in the end this man and his lady friend stayed alive because of actions taken by a person with self preservation in mind.

In my eyes the monetary price and PTSD price for his and her lives was well spent!

#20 ·
He's for our immediate family, I only had to contribute about $1000. It's a great deal since I'm arguably the most likely to need him.

When you're sitting in a cell, it's pretty hard to shop around for a good attorney. It shocks me how many people don't... I'd advise anyone that carries to look into it. Any attorney is better than the average public defender.

#17 ·
#18 ·
WOW… $165 dollars a year is a bit much for insurance we will hopefully never need, but a whole lot cheaper than a criminal defense attorney.

I don’t now about you, but since I no longer work for any department, that kind of insurance is not a bad idea.

Has anyone have any other recommendations?

#21 ·
Your Miranda rights are:

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.

Who decides if you can afford an attorney, one wonders...

The state does.

They have you fill out an affidavit for your finances which you have to swear to under penalty of perjury in order to apply for a public defender.

You may feel "Oh man, I can't afford an attorney on my salary with my kids in private school, the payments on the car and the mortgage..."

But guess what?

Your kids are going to public school this year, you are going to sell your car and get something older and use some of the money you got for the nice to car to put the initial payment in to your lawyer, and he is going to arrange a refinance of your home for the remainder of he fee, and you are going to sign on the dotted line at the closing when told to do so.

Why, do you ask, are you going to do this...

Because you probably don't qualify for a public defender. Unless you are indigent, you are on your own for counsel.

Yeah.

I know.

Pleasant thoughts.

But cheer up. On the bright side, if you actually are indigent, the public defenders are actually good attorneys with experience in difficult cases...

#22 ·
But cheer up. On the bright side, if you actually are indigent, the public defenders are actually good attorneys with experience in difficult cases...
You may be right in this assessment, however it has been my experience that they aren't very successful at defending their clients. Perhaps it's primarily the workload, or the cases I have been involved in were not par for the course.

I'm glad you pointed out the indigent defense issue... I hadn't thought to mention it.

#23 ·
I wanna know how this guy could ever have been charged and tried? My goodness, he was up against 4 BG's (real gangsters, no less), PLUS they were armed and had lengthy criminal records. He was truly fighting for his life and for his GF.

#24 ·
I'm by no means supporting the local gov't decision to prosecute but here's a few things that helped them get there:

1.) Only one of them was armed
2.) The second BG was shot from the side/behind...
3.) GF is not supportive of his actions... odds are good she essentially took a side against him... this happens in dramatic situations.

#32 ·
Good post!
I'm sure this is the kind of real world scenario that many casual CCW folks need to read about. Some of my friends carry because they thought they needed a CCW to be 'showy' about their pro-gun stance. I'm going to forward this story to some of them with the hope they finally 'get it' about the real consequences of being in a gun fight.
Thanks again.

#34 ·
I bet if you take any classes on shooting they will use it against you in court too...

That argument is a catch 22.

If you are without training the plaintiff/prosecution will make you out to be negligent for carrying a firearm without any training.

If you are proficient and well trained, then they will make you out to be a rambo wannabe.

You can't win either way, so you go with what is more likely to:

A) get you home alive
&
B) be defensible when properly explained in court.

#37 ·
I was taught to keep shooting until the threat is eliminated. Even in testing, you practice two quick shots to the chest within 3 seconds, and 5 shots within 7 seconds.

Crack heads hopped up on drugs do not feel pain and trauma like we do and are a threat until they go down hard.

When you’re approached by four gun wheeling BG’s how are we to know what they may or may not be hopped up on. How do we know if the other BG’s that left where armed or not. Ya going to take there word for it?

I just hope this poor guy sues the county, for false arrest and slander and individually names that counsel person for slander.

#43 ·
I just hope this poor guy sues the county, for false arrest and slander and individually names that counsel person for slander.
Common misconception, you can not sue anyone just because you are innocent. You have to prove intentional knowing misconduct. Fact is as long as you get shafted according to the rules you have no recourse.
For instance I have posted this before. A few years ago at 4:30 AM going to work my bike hit an oil spot at 40-mph, I almost got it but lost it. Short version. My wife flew most of a block, than rolled a block, broke her back. I stopped the 700 pound bike with my face hitting a guard rail after the bike shoved me across the road. Four hours later I have IV's in my arms, oxygen tubes running up my nose, tubes down my throat, a catheter up my johnson. Unconscious awaiting emergency surgery. LEO shows up and has them do a blood test. Guess what? The dirty biker passed out on the gurney had pain killers in his system. Guess who spent a fortune fighting a DUI. Guess who got sued?
Now, here in Washington State, in a shooting if you get charged and prove self defense. The state is required to reimburse you. Ideally everything lawyer, legal expenses, loss of work, time off for witness, etc. Still you have to come up with your share up first to win.

Matiki, you have a criminal defense lawyer on retainer ?!?.
As do I. Don't you? Hopefully you have the best criminal attorney you can afford. Not your tax attorney, who is a really great guy.
You NEED a lawyer the most at the scene. If you do not have one on retainer, who is talking the police for you at the scene? If you do not have a lawyer it will take many many hours to book you. Everything you do or say will be wrong, see above unconscious will be used against you. Everything you do or say will be used against you. Sitting in a jail cell with blood on your hands is not the best time to find a lawyer to trust with your life & liberty

#40 ·
The girlfriend that GTer was trying to protect, broke up with him 3 weeks later. She just never could get over it and could not understand the violent nature of his counterattack. She dumped him, which broke his heart, but she was a very good witness for his defense, and for that he is eternally grateful.
So he saves her from being violently raped and most likely murdered by 4 gangbangers, and this is how she repays him.

Women. I just don't get 'em sometimes

#41 ·
What was she suppose to do marry the guy?? C;mon she went to court on his behalf, I think she did the right thing!! You sound like she should be indentured to him for the rest of her life. It isn't old Testament times anymore.
Maybe you were joking? I am still on my 2nd cup of Joe.
NCH

#45 ·
Great post and very educational. Makes me glad I live in Oklahoma. Two days ago I saw one of my customers that happens to be a lawyer. I know he is into guns as he is a class III firearm owner. An 8MM Maxium with tripod mount. Anyway we spoke of CCW and I set him up as my call guy on speed dial if I ever get into a situation where I need to defend myself.

#47 ·
I set him up as my call guy on speed dial if I ever get into a situation where I need to defend myself.
Probably one of the smartest things you will ever do for yourself and your family. May you never ever have to make that call. Still, back up is good.

He must have had a prior record or something. It seems implausible that a store employee would receive substantial prison time for an isolated "shrinkage" incident.

:22a:
Not implausible all, more like common based on my experience. My wife went from believing nothing but the best about the men in blue and our court system. To absolute mistrust and contempt especially for persecutors. This from a woman who has never ever broken a law, honest to a fault and always see the good in people. Of course this last thing with the guy pointing a gun at her head did nothing to improve that opinion no matter how it turned out.

#48 ·
As for the girlfriend in this story....good riddance!!!! :mad: If she is sincerely stupid enough to not understand, especially given the prior records of these perps, that the shooting most likely saved her from being gang raped and her body dumped in the river, she needs to get a clue.

#49 ·
Oh, I assume she understands exactly what happened and what would have happened. There are some people out there, though, who seem honestly to believe that there is something inherently wrong about dealing violence, even in defense of self or others. I know some people like this and, frankly, I can't even begin to understand how an intelligent, moral human being can somehow convince himself (usually herself, sad to say) to value all human life...except his own. :confused:

I will say that a lot of people like this are very helpful to their fellow man, as long as somebody else is around to keep them safe. The g/f here faced something that was utterly incomprehensible to her and, to her credit, overcame her own bias enough to testify on behalf of her ex. Good for her. Maybe someday down the road her own attitude will change as things sink in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.