My Current Biggest threat to home defense

This is a discussion on My Current Biggest threat to home defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this last night and realized that the biggest problem I have in terms of home defense right now is my 22 ...

Thread: My Current Biggest threat to home defense

I was thinking about this last night and realized that the biggest problem I have in terms of home defense right now is my 22 month old toddler.

See he's right at that age where he has absolutely no understanding of danger or risk or bad guys or anything like that, and it can't be communicated to him.

He's also right at that age where he mimicks us in everything we do. But not because there's any real thought to it, it's just mimickery.

Night before last we ordered a pizza. The pizza delivery guy came and just guess who answered the door before I could get there? That's right, my little boy.

I'll end up having to put a chain or blocker bar (like in hotels) or something on our door to hinder this behavior, but with three teenagers also in the house, there's a lot of running in and out all day long, so the effectiveness of even that is somewhat minimized.

I figured I'd throw this out here and see what some other people think about it and if they have any good suggestions. Obviously, in time (hopefully soon) I'll be able to break this habit of his, but in the meantime, what to do?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Administrator
    I installed an electronic deadbolt on the door we use most. It is able to be programmed to close the bolt after a few minutes. If we are outside when it locks itself, no key is needed to get back in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    I was thinking about this last night and realized that the biggest problem I have in terms of home defense right now is my 22 month old toddler.

See he's right at that age where he has absolutely no understanding of danger or risk or bad guys or anything like that, and it can't be communicated to him.

He's also right at that age where he mimicks us in everything we do. But not because there's any real thought to it, it's just mimickery.

Night before last we ordered a pizza. The pizza delivery guy came and just guess who answered the door before I could get there? That's right, my little boy.

I'll end up having to put a chain or blocker bar (like in hotels) or something on our door to hinder this behavior, but with three teenagers also in the house, there's a lot of running in and out all day long, so the effectiveness of even that is somewhat minimized.

I figured I'd throw this out here and see what some other people think about it and if they have any good suggestions. Obviously, in time (hopefully soon) I'll be able to break this habit of his, but in the meantime, what to do?
    Will this help? Door Jam Jammer
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I installed an electronic deadbolt on the door we use most. It is able to be programmed to close the bolt after a few minutes. If we are outside when it locks itself, no key is needed to get back in.
    Is this the fingerprint sort? Can you provide a link?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Do you have a make and model number for this. I am looking to upgrading my doors and my wife wants an electronic lock. The auto-lock sounds real good.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Here you go...Kwikset.com - SmartSeries

I have the keypad one. I got it at Lowes and electronics guru buddy of mine set it up, I installed it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here you go...Kwikset.com - SmartSeries

I have the keypad one. I got it at Lowes and electronics guru buddy of mine set it up, I installed it.
    Thanks for the link!

Another suggestion would be to use the childproofing covers for the doorknob. They slide over the knob and make it very hard(notice I didn't say impossible, as nothing is impossible for determined kids) for small children to open the door.

With 3 teenagers running in and out all day, do you keep the day locked or unlocked? If it's unlocked, I can't see where this really matters since the bad guy will probably just turn the knob first to check prior to attemping a knock entry. There are numerous dead bolt style locks that are knob actuated inside and key from the outside that you could install at chest height beyond his reach if you keep the door locked.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    With 3 teenagers running in and out all day, do you keep the day locked or unlocked?
    Getting teenagers to lock the door has thus far been as successful as getting them to clean up after themselves and turn off tv's and lights when they aren't using them.

I think I've decided to go with something like this: Fingerprint Deadbolt & Lever Locks--Commercial Grade [DL210A] - $489.00USD : ReoStyle

With biometric entrance and timed locking of the deadbolt (which I'm not sure this one has yet): Fingerprint Deadbolt & Lever Locks--Commercial Grade [DL210A] - $489.00USD : ReoStyle

We're thinking of something like this as a secondary lock (higher up):

Simplex Lock 900
    or
    Simplex Lock 7000

Think long and hard before you get that fingerprint door lock in Colorado.

Had this discussion with a guns hop clerk that had the safes with the fingerprint lock. It does not work so well in low humidity environments (never mind the battery will die when you really need in there quick). The manufacturer suggested solution was to put some hand lotion on before you open the lock. Dry skin = no oils for the scanner to read.

Same reason they wet your hand when you get the electronic finger print scan.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trope View Post
    We're thinking of something like this as a secondary lock (higher up):

Simplex Lock 900
    or
    Simplex Lock 7000
    Those are neat locks... I think they would work well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Think long and hard before you get that fingerprint door lock in Colorado.

Had this discussion with a guns hop clerk that had the safes with the fingerprint lock. It does not work so well in low humidity environments (never mind the battery will die when you really need in there quick). The manufacturer suggested solution was to put some hand lotion on before you open the lock. Dry skin = no oils for the scanner to read.

Same reason they wet your hand when you get the electronic finger print scan.
    They do have models that are full-time-powered with battery backup. I'll have to try one. My security on my laptop is a fingerprint scanner (built into my HP) and it works like a charm. It knows all 10 of my fingers (if you get a cut on your finger, the scanner won't recognize it anymore!)... I'll take this into consideration.

I'm certainly not going to spend that kind of money on a lock system without being able to test it out and have a decent return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    I'm certainly not going to spend that kind of money on a lock system without being able to test it out and have a decent return policy.
    +1!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links