That One Perfect Shot

This is a discussion on That One Perfect Shot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this someplace else so I can't take credit for it. Not sure I would want to but, the forum needs a shot of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That One Perfect Shot

Administrator

That One Perfect Shot

I found this someplace else so I can't take credit for it. Not sure I would want to but, the forum needs a shot of tonic tonight. So...Here Goes:

Work out your own scenario--whether it's the bullseye to win the tournament, the bad guy in your house with your daughter as a hostage, Saddam Hussein in your sights, etc.--which is the semi-auto that you want in your hand for that single shot? That one shot with no margin for error and no chance for a "re-do"? Miss and you're out (or your daughter's dead, or the madman gets away, whatever), delivered from 30 feet in normal lighting conditions and a tremendous amount of tension resting on the outcome of a perfect shot...

For me, if the chips were down and I only had one shot for all the marbles, it wouldn't be any of my most expensive weapons. It would be my 9mm CZ-75B with S&B ammo. Inexpensive gun, inexpensive ammo, but for some reason, with that combination I can bear down and deliver 5 rounds into a dixie cup.

What's your choice of weapon and ammo?

OK...For Me my only answer right now will be it wouldn't be S&B ammo.

2. Remove Ads

It wouldn't be a semi-auto. Not for me.

The most accurate handgun I actually carry (once in a while) is that 629 I picked up some time ago. I haven't put as many rounds through it as I'd like but I'll be dipped if that isn't the most accurate handgun I've ever tried. I know good and well exactly what I did wrong every time I miss the little bull's eye in the center.

I used to think a lot of that was due to the sight radius being so long, but I think it's that combined with the familiar red ramp sights I'm used to plus the natural ergonomics of the piece make it point just right, not to mention I've given up on finding any semiauto that will ever feel and point like a revolver does.

I'm still experimenting with different loads and haven't developed much of a preference yet. I seem to like everything. I'll go with the 200 grain .44 Special Gold Dots however.

A close second would be the 686 with a 158 grain SWC .38 Special load of some stripe, or perhaps the Winchester Silvertips, the 145 grain load I think is what I'm thinking of. I've always like Winchester ammunition for some reason.

I realize it shouldn't matter what gun I use, but if it's an effort to make a pretty tight shot I just can't unlearn my favorite format in a couple month's time.

DC Founder
    I would go for a Big Bore 1911. The accuracy of those guns are unbelievable. The first time I shot one I think my mouth was hanging open the whole time....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Taurus PT 92AF and HydraShoks. It is the gun I shoot the most so I am confortable with it. No time to be guessing or wishing for some wunderboom.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    I've been carrying a Steyr S40 (compact) for most of the summer...my winter rig is a HK USPc 40...but I know that my most accurate semi-auto is hands down the Browning High Power Tactical 9mm.
    Got to figure a way to work it into the carry rotation
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Hum thats a toughy. Springfield 1911 Stainless with 230 Gold dots

Senior Moderator
    QK,
    Good food for thought. I was thinking that if I didn't have that confidence that my carry gun could meet the expectation, I should find one that would. I personally believe there are many guns that can deliver the accuracy, yet I realize that some people do better with one gun than another.

I'd be equally confident with an H&K USP 9mm SA, Sig 226/229 9mm in SA or DAK, a P2000 LEM 9mm (I'm really liking the LEM), a couple of my 1911s including a Commander size. A bit less confident with XD or Glock, but that's mostly because I don't shoot them as much as the others.

Oops forgot the ammo. I trust the terminal ballistics of GD 124 gn JHP 9mm, but I train magnitudes more with WWB (Walmart 100 pak) and I have found them to be accurate. Kinda speaks to practice what you're going to fight with, but then who can afford to practice with premium defensive ammo.

Administrator

Thumbs up I Was Thinking

This boils down to - A CRITICAL Shot at 30'
    This was NOT a "trick question" but,
    I Think Everybody SHOULD be saying:
    "The Firearm & Ammo Combination That I Am Carrying Right Now."

I would hope to have my Colt Combat Commander on my person loaded w/ Speer JHPs - and if I wanted to make it super easy...maybe a laser dot confirmation of my normal "fixed sight" picture.

I shoot the best with my Springfield 1911, which is loaded with 230g. Golden Sabers.

CZ 75 PO1 with handloaded Rem 115gr JHP. 30 feet is only 10 yards - I can keep those in a 1 inch circle standing two hand hold, all day long, dead centered on the bull, no problem....
    25 yards they open up a bit to 2.5 inches....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

hehhehheh...... This is why my Steyr Tactical .308 has a Burris Electro-dot 1.5-6x, and not a 3-9x or higher. 18.20" barrel(quick&easy handling), at 1.5x, I can read the King James from across the room. Which quadrant of which nostril am I going for?

Out "in public", with a similar scenario (obviously no bolt gun on my shoulder), it would have to be a BHP, or (I'll find out how good they are, they'll be here tomorrow!) one of the new BLS's.

I carry a Les Bear Concept 6, it is very accurate, my problem is to do my part.You got to practice! You got to know your weapon and have confidence in your weapon and yourself. You got to have sound weapon handling skills, because under stress you can screwup.

While i could pull that shot off with my carry gun (G26), if i had a choice in the matter, i'd reach for my S&W 686 6". Nothing like a smith with a long barrel for accuracy :)

Assistant Administrator
    I can say QK - yes - the gun/ammo combination I have now!! 226 and +P 124 GD's.

I have too the CT grips and even in bright light at that range they will possibly help too - they are set for 21' and so at 30' hardly any change.

I am imagining here that one shot chance - BG head shot - while hostage held..... all assuming one can hold steady - if that is satisfied then the gun will do the rest.

I do take a stance with EUC tho as well - deviating from semi's - I also would find a one shot from my 629 with mag loads a real keen stopper.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    Either one of my 1911's would be up to the task of this kind of accuracy. I have practiced and trained for this kind of shot for years. I would use my 230gr HydraShocks that I routinely carry.

After attending Thunder Ranch with my partner I broached this subject with him. I asked him, "What would you do if you were held hostage with a gun to your head and I were 30 feet away with my 1911 pointing at the BG and he told me to drop my gun or he would kill you?" His reply was that he would turn his head to the BG and say, "Drop your gun or no matter what else happens, that SOB is going to kill you. It's your only chance. Drop it now.

You know what, he's right. I would, right through the eye socket. He has seen me make that shot under time pressure a hundred times.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links