How should she have handled this situation?

This is a discussion on How should she have handled this situation? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is an excerpt from the "Letter from a Former Anti" thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rmer-anti.html I was on my way back from the march, on my way ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should she have handled this situation?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

How should she have handled this situation?

Here is an excerpt from the "Letter from a Former Anti" thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rmer-anti.html

I was on my way back from the march, on my way back to Connecticut, when I stopped off of the highway at a rest stop by one of those McDonalds they have off I-95. By this time I had dropped off two of my kids with their father, and only had my little one with me. I went into the restroom with her, and on my way out noticed two men hanging out by my car. There were only two other cars in the lot at the time that were anywhere near my vehicle. I immediately felt threatened by their demeanor, but continued on to my car. The smaller of the two approached me with a knife as I was about to open the door to put my child in her car seat. He yelled at me to get in the back of the car, they were taking me for a little ride. I obviously told them to just take my keys, they could have the car, but they insisted I get in the back.

I was just wondering how this situation should have been handled differently. Let's say, for the sake of this thread, she does have a CCW.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I think this situation would probably be handled best in the same way whether you were packin' or not. At the point you notice shady characters hangin' out at your car you don't walk over to them. Hang back for a minute and if your spidey sense is tingling, call the police and have them come check the suspicious persons out. Or at least wait untill they lose interest and give you enough room to get in your car unimpeded. She made the cardinal mistake of believing "it's not gonna happen to me" and paid the piper for it.

Instead of walking towards the car I would have gone into the McDonalds and used the phone. It may be nothing, but its always best to make sure rather than end up in a bad position.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I think blue-eyed devil hit that well. But then again, we weren't there so we can't know all the details. The details what they are though? I would probably have hung back myself. Kicked around at a soda machine or something while keeping them in sight. If you absolutely have to get going, be ready to clear leather and hope you have enough practice.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    I think this situation would probably be handled best in the same way whether you were packin' or not. At the point you notice shady characters hangin' out at your car you don't walk over to them. Hang back for a minute and if your spidey sense is tingling, call the police and have them come check the suspicious persons out. Or at least wait untill they lose interest and give you enough room to get in your car unimpeded. She made the cardinal mistake of believing "it's not gonna happen to me" and paid the piper for it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Shady characters near the car means not going to the car. I don't care how long I have to wait. I'm a patient gal and my cell phone can make great 911 calls to get someone to come and ask the shady characters just what they are doing hanging around a car that is not theirs.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I showed this thread and the first one to my wife. She has her carry permit, but is hesitant about carrying full time. Maybe this will cause her to rethink her position.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    Instead of walking towards the car I would have gone into the McDonalds and used the phone. It may be nothing, but its always best to make sure rather than end up in a bad position.
    Bingo!!!

No CCW required, just a dose of not so common sense.

"I immediately felt threatened by their demeanor, but continued on to my car."

Stupid. A person recognizes trouble, has her small child with them in hand, is alone in a lonesome area and what does she do?
    She walks right toward where trouble lies. Stupid!

A gun nor a concealed carry license is not a substitute or provider of survival instinct and/or basic common sense.
    What was her plan when she got to the car? Ask them to kindly move away so that could get on her way? Advise them that it is unlawful to liter in the parking lot?
    Now she writes this letter as though hey I've had an epiphany! Guns aren't bad afterall! It's the people!
    Well in this ladies case it's stupidity that put her in jeopardy, and being blind to the ways of the real world as it exists for people who are not Rosie O'Donnell and of others that she as stated admires.

- Janq

"Stupid is as stupid does." - Forrest Gump
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Anyplace, but the car.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Yup... stay inside and call the police!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Agreed, stay inside, get on the phone and call the police. Maybe not 911, but the non emergency line works just as well.

Makes me wonder about this woman when I read that she had one of her kids with her, she felt uncomfortable, but still continued. I think maybe the CPA should pay her a visit. She seems to be the type that would call on one of us because we have firearms in a home that also has children, why not call on her for seriously putting her child's life in danger. But I'm sure that she is different.

Perhaps if I were alone or with another adult only, it might be a different story, but the guard would definitely be on high alert.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Walking to a car with two "shady" characters standing near it with no body else around, an open McDonalds with people in it and you're carrying a child and you feel threatened. Walking to the car is not just poor judgment, it is active participation in natural selection.

So how did this story end?

Agreed...stay away from the car. No need to go near it with strangers hanging there looking suspicious. That being said, I didn't see this article the first time around. Looks suspicious to me, not sure I believe its authentic. Just too neat and tidy, hitting all the key phrases we would want to hear.

Not to disagree with you, but another thought. There are a number of places on hiwhways like this with just the same conditions.
    I hate to say it, but you and I probably look shady at some times. Actually I have been helped by people I would have otherwise been concerned about.
    If the lady decided to wait, she may have had a long time getting to her car.
    Can you extend the scenario a bit and help her get on the road?

How about hitting the remote "panic button" on your car keys? That normally will start the horn blowing, and should attract attention. But, on the otherhand anyone who knows, would know the "activator" is in close proximity, in order to activate it.

Let me get this straight, a woman with a small child is inside the saftey of Mc Donalds and looks outside to see two shady looking guys near her car and what does she do? She goes out to the car!!! DUH!!!! Just plain old stupid!!!
    Stay inside, notify the manager of the restaraunt and possibly call the cops if the two don't leave. Anything but going out and confronting them.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links