Approached on a dark street

This is a discussion on Approached on a dark street within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lady friend invites you to accompany her to a well attended business related party at a private venue in the downtown of a notoriously ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Approached on a dark street

Question Approached on a dark street

A lady friend invites you to accompany her to a well attended business related party at a private venue in the downtown of a notoriously dangerous city. You end up having to park a block off the main road because others have taken all the curbside spots along the main road for several blocks and many of the nearby spots on adjacent streets.

At the party many are drinking heavily but, conscious of the fact that you are carrying, you limit yourself to only two drinks over a period of about five hours. You end up being in the last wave of people leaving and find that the main street has become quite desolate, at least compared to the bustle of activity when you arrived.

You maintain a fairly high degree of situational awareness as you turn off the main street and begin the one block walk down the unlit side street to your car -- which is now almost alone on the street. Still, you are slightly startled by an unkempt looking young man who steps toward you from the concealment of a shadow as he asks you for the time. You respond, in your friendliest tone, that you aren't sure of the time because you aren't wearing a watch (knowing that your watch is well concealed under your winter coat and leather glove).

His stance impedes your progress and you stop in place to maintain a few feet of gap.

He then says, with a little bit of a cocky smirk, “Oh no? Well do you got any money?” To which you again reply in the negative, despite having a wallet in your back pocket with at least $100. Your new acquaintance then moves his coat aside to reveal what appears to be a full frame handgun tucked into his pants and says, with a more serious firmness, “Are you sure? 'Cuz I really want some money!”

You are carrying a small .380, with which you are fairly competent, in your front pocket. A quick scan of the area reveals no other perps nor any potential witnesses. Your sense is that this guy might be happy with a wallet and purse, but his slightly too slick approach, and the fact that his eyes are locked on your lady friend, leave you unsure of his ultimate intentions.

What do you do?

2. Remove Ads

At that point, I'd consider my life being threaten and deal with it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I keep my wallet near my gun. I practice drawing in a motion that looks like I'm pulling out my wallet. If his weapon isn't in my face and I think I can pull it, I might not grab the wallet.

VIP Member
    Once he shows a gun he has in effect threatened you with bodily harm. When the opportunity presents itself I draw and fire.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Either what morintp would do or both hand in pockets, pull out keys or wallet out of one pocket and toss it at his feet and draw with the other hand half a second later. Boom.

I would rather give someone the money in my wallet than shoot them. I'm not going to shoot someone over $20. But threatening my life for $20, that is a different story.
    Last edited by MilitaryPower; January 27th, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I tell the guy "Look I don't carry cash in my wallet. Let me get my wallet and prove it." All the while I have moved the lass behind me and have open hands palms out to the dirtball. I show him the wallet that has no cash. I tell dirtball that all of my cash is in my pocket and I will gladly retrieve it for him. The cash just so happens to be my AMT .380. After those six rounds are spent I move to the .45 on the opposite hip and complete the transaction.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Call me a coward, but I am no cowboy. Even if I practiced with a gun, something is going to go wrong. And besides, if you do shoot him, your life is going to be miserable for a long time.

I would try and get out of the situation if I could. How about saying something like "Look buddy. I don't want any trouble. You can have my wallet. I am going to toss it over there and then the lady and I are going to leave." Toss him your decoy wallet filled with those fake credit cards you get in the mail every day. Toss it so that he has to move away from the direction you are going to run. As you back up (facing him with your hand on your gun in your pocket), he will probably just pick up the wallet and run, too. Get to your car as fast as you can and make a quick get away. As I am running, I would secretly draw my gun so he didn't know I had it ready to go. He will be long gone by the time he realizes he has been had and you will be, too.

Obviously, the situation changes if he draws his gun, but practicing this scenario makes a lot more sense. I was watching a Personal Defense TV episode and one of the guest hosts said, "Any day you don't have to shoot someone is a good day."
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Agree, tell him he can have my wallet which in in my back right pocket out comes the 380 and its in his face before he can react..after all his eyes are on the lady friend and at a distance of a few feet im pretty sure you could shoot him in the face area fairly easy..just make sure you pull the trigger twice.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Keep your wallet weak side. Reach around and toss it straight at the perp toward your weak side. When his arms come up to catch the wallet, move to your strong side, draw, and fire fire fire.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Call me a coward, but I am no cowboy. Even if I practiced with a gun, something is going to go wrong. And besides, if you do shoot him, your life is going to be miserable for a long time.

I would try and get out of the situation if I could. How about saying something like "Look buddy. I don't want any trouble. You can have my wallet. I am going to toss it over there and then the lady and I are going to leave." Toss him your decoy wallet filled with those fake credit cards you get in the mail every day. Toss it so that he has to move away from the direction you are going to run. As you back up (facing him with your hand on your gun in your pocket), he will probably just pick up the wallet and run, too. Get to your car as fast as you can and make a quick get away. As I am running, I would secretly draw my gun so he didn't know I had it ready to go. He will be long gone by the time he realizes he has been had and you will be, too.

Obviously, the situation changes if he draws his gun, but practicing this scenario makes a lot more sense. I was watching a Personal Defense TV episode and one of the guest hosts said, "Any day you don't have to shoot someone is a good day."
    Not for a 60 year old couple in Florida...2CM...for starters...I'll deal with the courts later...at least we'll be alive to deal with it!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post

I hear these types of responses often to these types of situations. My question is this, doesn't it put you in a very poor tactical situation to have an armed BG *behind you* with a loaded gun while you are fleeing? Perhaps he will be happy and take the wallet and go or perhaps he will do a quick scan of the contents, realize he was scammed and wanna pop off a few shots at you/pursue you and your friend.

Mo
    You didn't mention if you had a companion with you, so I would take it for granted that you were alone...

"Look man, I don't want any trouble - here you go (reach for your wallet) here's all the cash in my wallet, it's like a hundred bucks."

Fling whatever cash in your wallet you have at his feet. He won't know it's not a hundred bucks (if it is, you're carrying too much cash and deserve to be robbed, idiot) and he'll scramble to grab it up. While he's bent over make like hell to the nearest cover and draw. Chances are he'll grab your cash and run in the opposite direction. If so, call the cops. You're out a few bucks and everyone lives, you don't need a lawyer, you have a great story to tell, etc. If he pursues after you, you're in a much better position to deal with it from cover.

I can't believe anyone would shoot someone over a wallet if they didn't have to.

Also, what type of crappy thug doesn't draw and get the draw on you in the first place? I guess there are idiots in every profession...

Senior Moderator
    I will never think it's cowardly to try to avoid anyone getting hurt. However, I won't bet my life on the hope that throwing my purse, wallet, jewels or bank account numbers is going to appease a criminals appetite, especially if he has flashed a gun at me.

Let's look at the situation a little more critically.

First, you are "forced" to park in a questionable location. I'm sure if more driving around were an option you could probably find another, more suitable parking place, but for this scenarios purposes we are parked in a nefarious location.

Second, no drinking for me, thank you very much.

Third, I'm the girl in this scenario and I'm also armed.

Fourth, I doubt very seriously that my husband would be pocket carrying a .380. More likely he'd still be carrying his trusty Les Baer and I'd be concealing Wilson or my Kimber somewhere, but we'll say for this example that my husband is carrying one of our Colt Mustangs in his front pocket.

And our new found bad guy just brandished a full-frame handgun at us.

There is the possibility that throwing the wallet at him is enough to ease the situation as if he had intentions to shoot he probably would have done it already and just taken the goodies off of our dead bodies rather than bothering with "holding us up."

But here we are. We've been lethally threatened. He is armed, demanding money and looking at me with shifty eyes.

We could try to back up, try to talk our way out of it and I'm sure that we would do our best as we wish to hurt no one. Maybe we might be able to get away, but if he starts getting his hands any closer to that gun I can speak for both of us when I say we are done playing Russian roulette with the situation.

My husband moves me to his back trying to keep the BG distracted. This is my que. I draw my gun, drop to knees beside my husband, using him for cover and give the BG two in the chest, two in the pelvis and at least one good shot to the head, repeating until he is no longer a threat.

Then we promptly remove ourselves from the area until backup (and our lawyer) has arrived.

As unfortunate as it would be as well as tragic, it would be better than attending my husband's funeral, or him attending mine.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not for a 60 year old couple in Florida...2CM...for starters...I'll deal with the courts later...at least we'll be alive to deal with it!
    I was trying to get out of the situation without having to shoot someone. At the moment, all he did was bare his teeth. If I can fake him out and get away without having to deal with the courts later, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    I hear these types of responses often to these types of situations. My question is this, doesn't it put you in a very poor tactical situation to have an armed BG *behind you* with a loaded gun while you are fleeing? Perhaps he will be happy and take the wallet and go or perhaps he will do a quick scan of the contents, realize he was scammed and wanna pop off a few shots at you/pursue you and your friend.
    Well, I did mention that I was facing him as I was backing away AND I had my hand on my gun. Also, I would rather see if I could get away without shooting him.

Best case scenario is he grabs the wallet and runs a few blocks before looking at the contents. By that time, I am in my car driving away.

Worst case scenario, he is pissed. But now I have some extra distance. I can even take cover, draw my gun and take a more deliberate shot. Maybe my date can even call 911.

As much as there are a lot of people who say they would shoot, I actually think this is a better option IF it can be executed. But trust me, I am NOT afraid to pull the trigger if I am cornered. I would rather not be a cornered cat, though.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    We could try to back up, try to talk our way out of it and I'm sure that we would do our best as we wish to hurt no one. Maybe we might be able to get away, but if he starts getting his hands any closer to that gun I can speak for both of us when I say we are done playing Russian roulette with the situation.

My husband moves me to his back trying to keep the BG distracted. This is my que. I draw my gun, drop to knees beside my husband, using him for cover and give the BG two in the chest, two in the pelvis and at least one good shot to the head, repeating until he is no longer a threat.

Then we promptly remove ourselves from the area until backup (and our lawyer) has arrived.

As unfortunate as it would be as well as tragic, it would be better than attending my husband's funeral, or him attending mine.
    I can't tell you how lucky JD is to have a woman like you. I bet you even practice that scenario a lot. Maybe you can help me find a woman like you where I can work with her as a team. Seems to be a rare jewel, for sure.

BUT, in this situation, I do not think the date is armed. Or even likes guns. She is probably wetting her pants right now and may not follow instructions like, "Let's get out of here, NOW!"

This sounds similar to that real life situation aftermath thread. I bet she would testify, or not, but my first choice is to get out of there without firing a shot.

Let me also say, that I have ZERO experience in these matters. Most of you have more, and I could be wrong. Maybe I need that US Marshalls 300 degree simulator to run through a few practice situations to see if this would work or not.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links