Nightmares (or pipe dreams) About Prosecution for Self-Defense **Merged**

This is a discussion on Nightmares (or pipe dreams) About Prosecution for Self-Defense **Merged** within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ragin, I tend to agree with most of what you said... The only thing I disagree is that it is selfish to not do anything. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nightmares (or pipe dreams) About Prosecution for Self-Defense **Merged**

Ragin,
    I tend to agree with most of what you said...
    The only thing I disagree is that it is selfish to not do anything. There are a million different factors that play in, and there is no way to know for sure how anybody would react to a specific situation. The woman getting stabbed, for instance. You don't know what would be in betweeen you and the BG/victim, you don't know what might be behind them. You could be feeling under the weather and be unsure of your shot or response time slow down. God forbid, you might even freeze up at the horror of what is unfolding in front of you. (By 'You' in the previous sentences I mean me, you, everybody...)
    Some people would think nothing of jumping into a burning building to save a life, while that same person might hesitate at jumping in a river to save a drowning kid. Everybody's situations and experience are different. There really is no way to say how I would react to any preconcieved idea. I know what I've done in the past and I can speculate on what I would do in the future, but if for some reason I was unable to protect a victim from a BG, I would hope you wouldn't call me selfish.
    I would do everything I could to help, if:
    I had a reasonable assurance I would succeed
    I had little or no chance of causing collateral damage
    I felt reasonably certain of the parties involved
    And even if the above 3 were met, using lethal force would still be my last option. Now, those are true for protecting a 3rd party. To protect myself, my list is a lot easier...Do I have a good shot? So, maybe that does make me selfish.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Florida is a Castle Doctrine state, and some of those laws include our auto, but it does not include a street corner downtown, or shopping center, and the “good Samaritans act” while it may protect you in your efforts to render first aid, it wont’ protect you in a shooting.

That said, I’ve helped out people before, and thank God I never had to use lethal force, but anytime you step in to help, you’re placing yourself, and your financial well being in jeopardy.

One of my best friends (a retired Fed) is going to join the FOP, just so he can purchase there liability insurance. I’m going with him to find out that since I did not retire am I eligible to join, so I can purchase the same insurance.

Question Harold Fish and his defense website with a lot of interesting reading.

Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    Again, the Harold Fish shooting was in Arizona...Not Texas, and based on the article, the medical examiner, and the people who knew the victim I am not sure it was a good shoot, I don't believe I would have shot in that situation. But you never know. I wasn't there.
    I am completely willing to stipulate that other states have allowed their representatives to skew their laws and move to a guilty until proven innocent stance.
    This seems very interesting and describes some information which might not have been in the newspapers and which makes me wonder about the legal system there but I will let you all decide for yourself.

To make it short, Harold Fish's lawyers has filed a motion for a new trial and states that the DA's office, due to severe prosecutorial misconduct in the case prevented Harold Fish from receiving a fair trial, they have the motion posted on the front page of the website and it seems to be very interesting reading.

Read it and let me know what you all think.

Website address is: Harold Fish Defense

sleepless, interesting site, I hope Fish gets his new trial and hopefully the truth will come out. It does seem to be difficult to present a 'self-defense' defense when there are no witnesses. An over-zelous prosecutor can pretty much make up the facts as they go. The only person to contradict them is the accused. Definitely not a good situation to be in.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

GPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post

I'm a firm believer that one day we will all have to answer for our actions here on earth. This world is becoming more and more everyday a "It's all about me" place. That is why it going to crap so quickly. Sure, there are a lot of bad people out there but if the good people would band together and help each other out more, the good would definitly out weigh the bad.
    Okay, flame away!
    Cajun,
    The big thing we need to remember is that most people out there are and are in no way prepared to intervene. When they do, they just end up being the next victim. In the instances that a person with a CCW is at the scene, they are faced with trying to tell the good guy from the bad guy and/or trying to control/hold both parties until the LEOs arrive or risk blowing the wrong party away. Then, when the calvary finally arrives, you are the one they find standing there with a gun in your hand. It gets to be too much bad juju for most folks to risk. Then you have to deal with officers, the DA and the local media second guessing everything that went on. It's no wonder most think twice before offering assistance.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links