Mall shooting, slightly different

This is a discussion on Mall shooting, slightly different within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to take that thread and change it a bit. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-shooting.html Here is the modified scenario: Inside the food court 3 young males ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mall shooting, slightly different

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Mall shooting, slightly different

I would like to take that thread and change it a bit.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-shooting.html

Here is the modified scenario:

Inside the food court 3 young males arguing. 2 males start "grappling" with the third. One pulls a gun, 3 shots fired then 2 "beat feet" out of the mall while one lays on the floor groaning and whimpering. The 2 that run out of the mall ditch the gun under a car and proceed to another car and "fly" out of the parking lot.

OK, you're in the food court eating, family is with you. Except this time, your kid is shot. Your wife is with you and she is OK. What do you do?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Easy one

I would be very glad that I know tramau aid and I would get busy helping my kid. Everything alse pales in comparison.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I would outline what I would to, but unfortunately if an unfortunate circumstance like that were to come true in my life then this post could be used against me as premeditation.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Stay with my child! The threat for you & family has dissipated. Anything further on your part which resulted in the shooting of the perps could be considered a homicide and I would assume you would be charged as such. I was reading Combat Handgun this week as was shocked at the number of people charged, and in most instances convicted of murder in what appeared to be a justified shooting. Most of these cases it was due to the fact that they had one extra magazine - and a poor defense attorney. So it does not take much to get charged and just a little more of nothing to get convicted.

Taking what I have learned from this site and CCW training. The threat is gone. They have turned to run and now all efforts would be to keep my son alive until help arrives. Maybe yelling for some one to get a plate number but at this point the childs health is more important than justice.

I do not care about the other victim nor do I care about the gun under the car. I certainly would not go chasing after them and take the risk of a shoot out. Me being shot won't help my wife or son.

If the threat is gone, stay wiht and help my kid.

If the threat is still active, stop threat and help my kid. You may ask why I will stop the threat for my kid, but not for a stranger. Easy, I don't know the stranger, but I do know my kid. In short, I can identify all the players involved.

I've been to the mall twice in five years.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    ...I've been to the mall twice in five years.
    You must not have a teenage daughter

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    One pulls a gun,
    That's about as far as it would get- I see gun, that individual is DRT.

Most probably I would have intervened at the shoving stage with some de-escalation/domination depending on the individual's demeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBk View Post
    I would be very glad that I know tramau aid and I would get busy helping my kid. Everything alse pales in comparison.

-Paul
    +1

I totally agree

I would start to work on my kid. I was a "green side" Corpsman and I'm probably just smart enough to be dangerous now, but I still remember how to treat bullet wounds. This is of course after the danger is passed. I can't help my son if I'm dead.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Stay with my child! The threat for you & family has dissipated. Anything further on your part which resulted in the shooting of the perps could be considered a homicide and I would assume you would be charged as such.
    Couldn't agree more. If you take off after the scum and are able to shoot one or both of them and they die, it will be murder. We may not agree with it, but that's what it will be. Stay with your child and let the cops take care of the thugs.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

kinda depends on how fast this all happens. as soon as i saw a gun and that someone was in danger, i would have told wife.. wait.. this doenst work.. im the wife, ok but if i was the husband, or my husband didnt carry or something, i would tell them to get back, draw, and fire if necessary. if the harm was already done and gone before this could happen (or if i was too far away), of course i would do nothing but take care of my child, while watching around for anything else that may be happening.

if the guys were already gone i wouldnt go after them thats for sure. im staying with my fam. saving my kid is #1 importance.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    That's about as far as it would get- I see gun, that individual is DRT......
    Wow! What if it is me and I am stopping someone from killing my child a few feet out of your view? Now you are popping me. Wait, another ccw is popping you.

That's about as far as it would get- I see gun, that individual is DRT.
    You may want to rethink your position on that matter.

What if the one you see holding a gun is not the shooter, but an off duty LEO intervening in the situation to stop a felony? Also, what if you shoot said person and it stops him but he's still alive and breathing? Are you going to administer a coup de gras?

If you are forced to fire in protection of your life or a loved one I would urge you to stop shooting once the threat has ceased. Don't get me wrong, I have used guns IRL, but anytime shots don't have to be fired it's better for all involved, even you. That is why I used the word forced.

Biker

Flyboy, Biker- the description provided was that we/I, the parent, was witnessing an escalating shoving match that resulted in the BG drawing a weapon. IOW, the under-21 hassling my/your kid draws a weapon, and is seen doing so. In that situation, I'm not going to see if what he/she is holding really goes "Bang!"- they might get 1 vebal challenge.

I would think I've been here long enough not to be assumed to be advocating "scorched-earth" in a scene in which I was not directly involved...

We really don't address the ancilliary disciplines here, and if the question is what will we do after a family member is shot, that's a medical scenario, and firearm management is a non-issue, unless shots are still being heard. I would be happy to discuss field management- do we want to begin educational scenarios?
    Last edited by Scott; February 4th, 2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: language workaround

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links