My first condition yellow/orange

This is a discussion on My first condition yellow/orange within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Jeff Cooper's Color Codes of awareness: click . Maintaining a state of Yellow isn't difficult, with practice. And with a loved one to protect as ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first condition yellow/orange

Jeff Cooper's Color Codes of awareness: click.

Maintaining a state of Yellow isn't difficult, with practice. And with a loved one to protect as a situation turned sideways, there are some things that could have been done differently, sure. Sounds like it's time to think it through, as to what alternative steps could have provided increased security without liabilities.

As it turns out, the group of four, large inbound males were LEO's. Couldn't have known that until they were close enough to take you out. Simple precautions such as sending your daughter inside, putting the car between you, retreating back to the house temporarily ... all of these could have reduced the risk and not really raised signals in the minds of the group.

You certainly could have addressed them and challenged why they were there, but that would have been, at the least, unfriendly. At worst, had they been BG's, you would have signalled the invitation to "dance." With your loved ones right there, that could have been disastrous.

In an urban setting, it's hard to get any warning beyond folks approaching the edge of your property.

Some ideas, if you're going to be out at night, outside the house:
    • If you've got a garage, use it for loading/unloading the car. It helps keep your "radar" ready and able, when you enter/leave.
    • Have someone with you, watching while you are occupied.
    • Being absorbed in the task and maintaining your "radar" do not have to be mutually exclusive.
    • Have a number of flood lights on the garage/house that are aimed out to the sidewalk/street area, which can light up inbound folks but hide you in the glare. This can give a temporary advantage, if the inbound folks turn out to be BG's.
    • A hand-held light can help to identify folks you challenge, but it also shows a BG where you're standing. If you're going to use one, remember to use it then move.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

I have to agree with SIXTO and Final Option, my sheriff's deputy buddy was the K9 officer, I was the "agitator” more times than I can count. If I worked late at the LD phone company and didn’t want to go straight to bed I would call dispatch and see if anything was going on. If not we would agree on a location and I would park the truck and take off in the woods, industrial areas, etc. and sometimes neighborhoods. Sometimes one of the jailers would open the courthouse or other county building. Sometimes we would do situations where I attacked him while he was out walking; I have been dog bit more times than I can count, mostly on the bite sleeve but the dog did get excited a couple times. Once he got to know me the dog would treat it almost as a game, but when it came to bite I could still feel the pressure through the sleeve.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Once he got to know me the dog would treat it almost as a game, but when it came to bite I could still feel the pressure through the sleeve.
    Its always a game to the dog. Thats the key to their doggy brains, playing games.

I've replaced more pairs of pants and shirts due to dogs, sometimes they dont grab the sleeve, or I dont present the sleeve in time. Its a lot of fun, but boy can it get hairy with a new dog or a high strung one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links